Rycote plastic glue

Ray Collins

Oatey brand pipe cement.  Or whatever is available to you locally that plumbers use to connect PVC piping.  Get the grey stuff so it matches the rycote plastic.  Use a syringe to inject it into the crack.

It'll hold until someone sits on your mic again, although the bond is strong enough that the ring may break somewhere else... 

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

I wrote Rycote and Redding got back to me.

Ray - The plastic rings are, unfortunately, unable to be repaired. Too little surface area to glue for the tension on the tight circle of the ring. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news as I have to advise to buy a new Windshield. Thanks Ray, and feel free for any other questions.

Michael DiMatteo - Customer Support

Redding Audio, LLC

101 N Plains Industrial Road, Building 4 Wallingford, CT 06492

Phone: (203) 269.1808 Fax: (203) 269.1810 Web: www.reddingaudio.com

sales@reddingaudio.com

Distribution of Premium Pro Audio Brands:

SCHOEPS, Rycote, Voice Technologies, Audio Ltd.,

Cable Techniques, Ambient Recording, and Peter Engh

Follow us on Twitter: @ReddingAudio

Like us on Facebook

Thanks for the offer Jason, I had already tried something else. The PVC glue didn't seem to work, it didn't make the plastic tacky.. The Bostick stuff from previous experience is for glueing (assembling) the pieces together, but not for gluing the cracked plastic rings. It was also not available in Canada at that time. I did try a medical syringe with the PVC glue it was too thick and couldn't be sucked up.

What seems to be working is JB Weld epoxy the long drying type.

Thanks everybody.

Fresh from Rycote:

The rings from the pre-Modular & Modular use different materials, the earlier pre-Modular using a rigid ABS and the Modular a plastic called Hytrel. The rigid ABS is more predictable to glue, using either a cyanoacrylic (super glue in the UK or Crazy glue in the States) or contact adhesive. Originally the pre-Modular adhesive we used was from Bostik, and it's reference was "Bostik 1782". Please note that once a ring breaks, getting a permanent glue joint can become very difficult - by the fact that it's round. Also, avoid getting too much glue near the netting if you can help it. The netting is a polyethylene, and so doesn't stick to very well to anything - and therefore crackles (not good).

On the Modular rings, the flexible plastic will make it very tricky to repair. However, we have used a 2-part epoxy Plastic Adhesive, with success. In the UK we've used UniBond "Repair Power Epoxy Plastic 2 Component Epoxy Adhesive", which is a Henkel line of products. The instructions say sets in 5 minutes - we'd recommend nothing less than 24 hours though.

• 6 months later...