Sennheiser g3 Setup

Influxaudio

Greetings !

I have recently started using a Sennheiser g3 wireless system for recording Lav mic's into a SD 664. 

I wanted to ask others here what settings are working best for them as I'm not 100% satisfied with the quality of signal I'm getting.

I currently set sensitivity to just over half the range on the transmitter (in case the talent talks louder than in the sound check) and making sure I don't see the AF Peak light at all.

Then on the receiver I have the AF Out settings at 0 (with the idea that I'm not adding or attenuating the gain on the sennheiser)

Then I'm coming into the 664 at Mic level  and have my Gain Trim at 12.00 (half of the range)

What do you guys think of that ?

Also I'm using a Sanken Cos 11mic and find that even with a pop shield accessory I sometimes get a lot of siblance - is that normal and to be expected ?

Really appreciate any advice

Influx 

Greetings !

I have recently started using a Sennheiser g3 wireless system for recording Lav mic's into a SD 664. 

I wanted to ask others here what settings are working best for them as I'm not 100% satisfied with the quality of signal I'm getting.

Can you  tell us which  is the quatilty problem ?

I currently set sensitivity to just over half the range on the transmitter (in case the talent talks louder than in the sound check) and making sure I don't see the AF Peak light at all.

That's good but take care the G3's level indicator is not very accurate.

Then on the receiver I have the AF Out settings at 0 (with the idea that I'm not adding or attenuating the gain on the sennheiser)

Then I'm coming into the 664 at Mic level 

0 on the receiver is a little strong to send it to a mic level. Generally I advice people to set it nearly -18 ( and then mic level on the mixer"s input). But it may varies.

I run the G3's at +0 to +6 at mic level into my Maxx. Set it at about 75% of the gain needed for talent being loud (the G3's can clip fairly easily). For higher uality units like Lectro, I'll usually run at +5 and bring it in at line-level, but the G3's just don't have that kind of gain. I can tell the quality differences between the two, but the G3's when not slammed with RF traffic are usable. I use Countryman EMWs.

Thanks for all the replies and great advice guys.

@ Senator Its exactly gain staging that I'm concerned about - I would have thought af out at 0 was unity on the receiver and if I needed to boost the signal (I don't need to that much at these settings) l I could do that with my mixers high quality pre's.

@Vm Its hard to pinpoint exactly what the issue is, its not distorting or anything - maybe its just I don't like the sound of LAV's that much.

@Nick you saying +0 - +6 on the receiver I'm guessing ? 

@Vm Its hard to pinpoint exactly what the issue is, its not distorting or anything - maybe its just I don't like the sound of LAV's that much.

So maybe the trouble is the mic position, or the typical lav's sound that you do not like...So maybe it has nothing to do with the G3 and your  G3's  settings...

Lots of variables to be taken into consideration, depends on the mic and the source SPL, though a TX sensitivity of -36dB seems low to me unless the talent is shouting..

For a Tram or a (standard sensitivity) B6.. w/ talent speaking at 'normal' speaking volume, a transmitter sensitivity around -15dB works good, while the receiver's AF out is set to -18 or -12dB for mic level or +12dB (max) for line level input, which is what I typically use.

Influx,

Take this as a start point and with some experience you will know how to adjust sensitivity with the situation.

But generally speaking this G3 transmitters don't like to have a too high level input signal in my opinion. I can deal with some short transmitter input clipping on my lectros, but not on these. Sounds very bad, so I prefer to avoid it by setting a low input sensitivity.