What mics do you find indispensable for location sound ?

Influxaudio

Hi Guys

Up and coming location sound guy here !

I'm doing a variety of work such as interviews, commercials, online content and hopefully film sooner or later.

I currently own a Sennheisser mkh416 which I've been using for both indoor and outdoor shoots.

I know I'll want to add a couple more mics at some point so I have a wide range of options

I was wondering if anyone cared to share the mics you find indispensable in your arsenal and for what reasons ? 

Thanks !

Influx 

In my experience a 415, 416, mkh 60 are short shotgun mics best used outside most of the time. A 41 or 50 are basically used inside. I have used all the mics above in the opposite ways with good results but 90% of the time I use them as stated. Go to an LA dealer and try them out. It is all subjective.

CrewC

New people are encouraged to use their real names.

type into google "jwsound best mic" or "jwsound favorite mic" or something like that.

You will, of course, get answers by starting a new thread, but you can save time by getting all the answers in the many old threads about many great topics, including microphones.

Robert

I love my Sanken CS-3e. Super-directional, not much rear lobe to talk of, for quick run'n' gun situations works well outside but fairly well also inside. It's design relies on 3 capsules instead of one and I think this is the reason it has a slightly higher self-noise than some other shotguns. Haven't tested side-by-side, though.

Not unlike the OP, my fears and paranoia preclude me from using real names, therefore, I have assigned pseudonyms to all my gear.

The mics I find indispensable for location sound are Nikola, Maxwell, and Farnsworth ... and, of course, even though I seldom use it, I would never want to be without DeForest.

Not unlike the OP, my fears and paranoia preclude me from using real names, therefore, I have assigned pseudonyms to all my gear.

The mics I find indispensable for location sound are Nikola, Maxwell, and Farnsworth ... and, of course, even though I seldom use it, I would never want to be without DeForest.

Not to mention that DeForest ALWAYS looked smashing in a neckerchief.

Oh Oh!   Stage 3 of the jwsound syndrome. This could be a record.

CrewC

It has taken me far longer to get here, but I like to read current threads for new information, and it's getting tiresome reading new topics about things that have been discussed over and over and over.

It'd be great if people resurrected old threads and asked something like, "Is there anything new someone would like to ad?"

Honestly, there must be dozens of threads about microphones, each of which say pretty much exactly the same thing.

I wish it were possible to incorporate into JWSOUND the same sort of routines you see in Support Forums --- you know, when you type in a question to submit to the support people, the forum first returns a list of possible topics that could answer the question (so that Support doesn't really have to give an answer because there are already hundreds of related posts/answers). This is, unfortunately, rather sophisticated programming, search, etc., beyond the capabilities of this sort of discussion group.

I agree with you Robert, and others, and I'm always looking for ways to improve the value of the experience here on JWSOUND.

We'll keep thinking about this and maybe come up with some ideas.