Using 2 Boom mics at close proximity.

Influxaudio

Hi guys

I have a job coming up where there isn't a budget for a boom operator , recording 2 actors sitting relatively close together. 

I'm thinking about using two Mkh416 on C Stands directed at each actor  - Are there any issues that I should be aware of , such as phase for this kind of operation.

Thanks

Influx 

I concur – but you wouldn't get massive phase issues with shotguns in such a setup.

I'd be more worried about the mics not being on axis if either actor moves a little or turns their head. Plenty of people have done it before though. A single cardioid (or hyper, depending on the distance between the talent) might fare better, depending on how wide the shot is.

Alternately you could set up such that you can manipulate one or both of the stands whilst watching the action, moving them to accommodate for actor movement.

Or you could consider personal microphones, but if you've no budget for a boom operator then I'll assume you haven't the budget for wireless, although wired personal mics might be an option.

Or you could one man band it and boom it yourself (if you can swing a boom) – at least you can respond to movements if needed. I've done that on a boat with an NTG3 at 3 ish feet between three people sitting opposite each other and produced fine results (aesthetically as well – I'm a fan of that wide sound).

" You must to worry about "on-axis" "off-axis" rather than phase. "

You must to worry about "on-axis" "off-axis" as well as phase.

one cardioid between them, this is pretty basic stuff...

perhaps you should consider Jay Rose's books at www.dplay.com...?

we can't come out and do these gigs for you...

Edited by studiomprd

"Influx" - what kind of job is this (doc, narrative, etc.)?  what is your experience level?  what sort of gear do you own?  do they really not have the budget for a boom op, or is that what they are telling you?  do they have a focus puller, or is the operator doing it?

These are things that could help us properly answer your question.

And those seeking help here are encouraged to use their name.

Robert

Hi Robert.

It would be a low budget web feature.

have lots of experience in audio work but little in location sound which I was I was asking in the first place !

Theres definitely no budget for Boom op unfortunately. Its my understanding they would have a 1st Ac , am curious why you asked that.

Looking to learn and make friends here, as stated in my other reply Influx is what i go by. 

Thanks for your time !

And those seeking help here are encouraged to use their name.

Robert

Audio Raiders was founded by Kevin Bazell, a DJ, producer and sound designer who’s released music on important labels like Alternative Route, Audio Therapy, Bedrock, Perfecto and Lost Language. His productions are also featured on compilations by renowned DJs like Sander Kleinenberg and Nick Warren. Working alongside the legendary composer Harry Gregson Williams, Kevin recently added his sound to Disney’s “Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.”

" a low budget web feature. "

:blink:

ah, so it is a feature!  wow!!

sounds like "they" don't know what they are doing, either...

" have lots of experience in audio work but little in location sound "

IOW, you have no experience in this...

sorry, we can't come out and do the gig for you...

BTW: real features have boom operators!

this is a professionals forum, perhaps you should tell us more about yourself in the "who I am..." thread, please...

and Jeff, the only thing I recognized in your post was " Disney’s “Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.” "

Ive never heard of any of those important labels, or renowned DJ's, or the legendary composer!

Edited by studiomprd

Looking to learn and make friends here, as stated in my other reply Influx is what i go by.

If you're serious about making friends here, then lurking behind a handle is probably not the best approach.

If your agenda is to get free tutoring from experienced pros, SM's homework advice would serve well. There is a mountain of shared experience and wisdom in the archives -- including much detailed information on the subjects you're asking about.

<I have a job coming up where there isn't a budget for a boom operator>

Well, I have one coming up where i have the two of India's best boom ops on the gig, and i'm taking most of the hit from the producer's budget to still keep it this way. 

I was asked if i "really needed two boom ops", etc. 

Sometimes, you learn more if you let someone in who can teach you a thing, while having the space to learn a thing from you...

Ms or Mr Flux (or can I call you In?),

If you have experience in music recording studios, it won't take long to get your head around the unique challenges of production and post sound. You might want to check out some of the books on production audio and post that get regularly recommended around here. We don't have a sticky, and I couldn't quickly find the recent discussion that lists many of them. But this search will bring up some threads that do mention books many of us like and respect:

http://bit.ly/16j6mAP

HTH, --Jim

About the books.

Under the JWSound logo have some "tabs".

"Forum", "members", "blogs", "gallery", "resource" etc

Go to go "Resource". After you will find three threads. "Hiding the microphone", "Full Services Sound Shops" and "Reading material".

Click the "Reading Material". You find the treasure.

Enjoy

:)