A/C powering SD 7xx recorders

JackHenry

The reason I asked what he meant by A/C is that I have seen those in the past who have plugged their equipment into 120V 60hz A/C.

The outcome is pretty ugly, but, you will have quite a spectacular show, for a couple of seconds. It may sound like a stupid comment, warning end users not to plug this equipment straight into 120V, but past experience has shown me that it does happen.

" What is the real world difference "

it is pretty clear if you RTFM...

Senator

I have read the manual and, yes, it's pretty clear Pins 2&3 do this and Pins 1&4 do that.

But then when you read the tech note about powering the 7xx series from A/C, it throws a bit of confusion into the mix. The tech note makes no mention what so ever about pins 2 & 3.

Senator, because you always post just to stroke your ego and show people how superior and condescending you are, and don't really understand that not everyone needs to spell out every step they've taken before posting here, I'll spell out for you my thought process.

I have two SD702 that I'm currently powering from both internal battery and A/C when available. Becuse I have two, I use two A/C packs. I am making up a single A/C pack that require two Hirose connectors to feed the two SD recorders.

The manual does say about the effects of using pins 1 & 4 or 2 & 3 AND specifically states to use Pins 2 & 3 when plugged into A/C power (exactly what I want to do) then YOU would assume that if I had RTFM that I should use Pins 2 & 3 and be done with it.

But if YOU'D also read the tech note (or in your parlance RTFTN) about using A/C to power 7xx Series recorders (exactly what I want to do) it states to use Pins 1 & 4. The tech note DOESN'T mention Pins 2 & 3 AT ALL.

So, in light of these two conflicting statements (and make no mistake, they do conflict) about exactly what pins to use for powering from A/C, I posted a query on the SD Forum because I suspected someone here, rather than simply answer my question, would ask, 'What did the manufacturer say' (I won't mention the idiot that always asks that) .

I needed an answer reasonable quickly. So, realising that SD may not be answering forum questions in a timely manner while at the AES 2013 event, AND remembering that this topic has been discussed here on JWSound, I came looking.

So I searched this Forum, knowing that someone here, rather than simply answer my question would ask 'Did you search for the answer' (again, I won't mention the idiot that always asks that) .

But, for some reason, my search queries didn't turn up the answer I was looking for. So I posted the question expecting reasonable people to give me a reasonable answer without me having to type a 1,000 word essay on my thought process as to why I thought an answer may be forthcoming from reasonable people. That's not unreasonable is it?

As it turns out, Matt from SD was the first person to reply, but he too stated what is in the manual but NO mention of the tech note reference. (you'll also note that Matt DID NOT say RTFM) So I asked for the clarification. Again, not unreasonable. If you read the second answer from Matt it states that

"..On all SD Power supplies, pins 1/2 and 3/4 are tied together.."

So, although Matt did clarify his answer, here is now a third variation on the pin wiring possibilities, but this options is NOT mentioned ANYWHERE in the manual or in the tech note. So, as it turns out, Reading TFM would NOT have given me a suitable answer.

So Senator, I'm sure that in your ultimate superiour knowledge in all things audio, even you didn't know this final piece of the puzzle. Because if you did know that AND were a reasonable person, then you would have given me that answer. But, as everyone here knows, you're NOT a reasonable person are you. You're just an idiot. And, just to clarify, your'e not even a REASONABLE idiot. You are an above average, truly top of the line idiot.

Regards

John

It's not A.C.----it's ext.

J.D.

It's not ext. ---it's A/C

Ext would also cover the use of external battery solutions. Here I'm asking specifically about A/C. And if you have RTFM as Senator likes to suggest, the pin wiring is different for external battery and A/C. For ext battery only, and so as not to drain external batteries, SD suggest using pins 1 & 4 as it doesn't charge the unit when it's actually turned off. It will only charge when the unit is turned on. But don't get me started about the conflicting information between the SD site and the manual.

Regards

John

I was always thought you would make that choice in thr software, because I certainly can charge the internal battery from an external battery. In fact, my SD recorder never ever get connected to AC.

I'm assuming of course, when people here in this thread talk about connecting the recorder to AC they mean by using the AC-DC converter, right? I'm pretty sure the recorders, just like almost any audio gear I know of, will only accept DC and rarely much more than 20V

To add further confusion...

788T does not use pins 2&3, as the battery charging choice is menu driven.

You can do no harm pugging in a hirose with 1&2 3&4 jumped (as the SD power supplies are wired this way), since 2&3 are not in use on the 788T.

Actually, as per a recent conversation I had with SD, you can have all your hirose jumped on EXT battery cable and EXT AC power supplies, unless of course you are running a 702/744 from NP1, in which case having 2&3 hooked would supply a charge to the onboard from your NP1, reducing run time.

Everything is, of course, an external DC supply.  You are not plugging the machines into AC.  You are plugging in a power supply to the AC, then supplying the DC output of the power supply to the recorder.  Should go without saying.

Robert

For the sake of all that is good, can we please clear up our nomenclature so nobody tries to power their recorder off AC in the future!?

John, when you use the term AC, what you really mean is through an AC/DC converter. You are still powering your machine off DC power.

I think this could be a source of some of the back and forth and confusion here.

Where is the power coming from? A/C. So technically, I'm powering the unit from A/C. The fact that the A/C is converted to DC is irrelevant to this particular thread.

Even SD in there tech notes have it titled "

"Powering Sound Devices Products from AC"

The fact that DWSound Services didn't understand what A/C meant in relation to a thread on powering a unit (as opposed to keeping it cool) begs another set of questions altogether. And, again, certain people only confuse the matter by trying to be clever as does Angelo above. Some poor unsuspecting might read that as written. As for his second comment, I have no idea what he's trying to say there.

Wyatt

My original post says

"What is the real world difference between wiring a Hirose with pins 1&4 or 2&3 for A/C powering (not from an external DC source)"

Although I get your point, there really is no confusion in this thread, nor do I see how there couold be from my original question.

You'll notice that the reasonable people on here are very reasonable when involved in a discussion. It's only the idiots that get me rilled. And don't even get me started on people that change their name to give an illusions of self importance.

Regards
John

Should go without saying.

Robert

And Robert

Yes it should. But apparently..................

Jack,

I understood exactly what you meant by A/C. Your description is what was bothering me. All you did was say A/C. In the world of electronics A/C mean exactly that, Alternating Current, usually 120V 60hz. A/C could also be mean a step-down transformer/adapter, which supplies between 10-24V AC. Either of these are bad news to a piece of equipment that is looking for DC. Just recently, I had a customer who tried to power their Lectro receiver with an AC adapter, instead of a DC adapter. It was a costly repair. I was trying to get you to be a little more specific in your description, to make sure you were not thinking about making the same mistake. So, as you can see, it is very relevant. 

My "should go without saying" wasn't to be taken literally. It SHOULD go without saying, but Dave and Wyatt were wise to clarify.

Many people on this site have VERY little experience and/or sense. While you, Jack, might be clear in your knowledge of sound gear powering (AC vs. DC vs. power supplies vs. batteries), the next person reading this thread may not be.

This site is a knowledge base, so sticking to accurate terminology is important, even if the manufacturers' manuals don't.

This is a great thread with important information for anyone owning an SD machine. Let's keep it accurate and civil.

Robert

" It's not ext. ---it's A/C "

nope...

it is either the "internal DC (battery), or the external DC (battery or DC out from whatever).

the base source of your confusion (the pin 1-4 and 2-3 options) is that if using an external battery, folks might not want to use that to be recharging the internal battery...

sorry I took so long, but I had to visit the ER after that blistering attack...

BTW: 

" SD may not be answering forum questions in a timely manner while at the AES 2013 event  "

please take that Bull out to some other pasture...

plenty of folks still at the mothership...

" It's not ext. ---it's A/C "

nope...

it is either the "internal DC (battery), or the external DC (battery or DC out from whatever).

the base source of your confusion (the pin 1-4 and 2-3 options) is that if using an external battery, folks might not want to use that to be recharging the internal battery...

sorry I took so long, but I had to visit the ER after that blistering attack...

BTW: 

" SD may not be answering forum questions in a timely manner while at the AES 2013 event  "

please take that Bull out to some other pasture...

plenty of folks still at the mothership...

I stand by the comment that it's not ext. ---it's A/C

In this instance, I was referring to A/C and jrd456 made the comment that it wasn't A/C, --it's ext. Since 'ext' could mean either external battery or A/C,  I was correcting his comment with a play on his own words. And, as stated, I'm NOT using an external battery, so your point about any confusion I might have is moot.

I am in no way confused about this. It's the SD information that is confusing. If you have read the tech note for 'Powering Sound Devices Products from A/C' you'll also know it contradicts the manual regarding the correct pin usage. The manual says 2&3, the tech note says 1&4 (for the same powering method) And no where is it mentioned thata SD supply ALL of the A/C power supplies with pins 1/2 & 3/4 tied. It only came to light when Matt mentioned it here.

'Bull'?  There is that idiot mentallity coming to the fore again.

Whilst there may have been people at SD, they hadn't replied in over a day, (and they are usually very quick with answers) so I assumed that, whilst not completely void of people, they may have been short staffed and have other priorities (Because of the AES)  and, since I needed an answer in a timely manner, came here. Do I need to re-type all of the other stuff about why I came here, or are you just going to go away quietly. I know a lot of people here would like that.