Bose Quietcomfort 15

Michiel

So I got myself the Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones, mainly to get some rest and peace in the airplane, and spare my ears at the same time...

But I was curious what would happen if I used it in loud situations (concert backstage for example), while recording that same sound. So I tested it with some very loud music... It turns out to work rather well! You don't have to crank up the volume to unsafe levels anymore to hear what your mix sounds like. Also, you hear the differences with or without 80Hz highpass. Normally this is not audible because all the direct low frequencies are coming through anyway.

Very interesting!

I will probably try this out next time I have to record something loud. It's claimed to work on a single AAA for 35 hours.

At £250 I'll take a rain check. Prior to right now I've not heard of these, but I've read some basic literature about them since. I assume some king of phase cancellation thing is going on – but I don't really see the point. Then again, I've never seen a reason to reduce the comforting drone of jet engines. I suppose they're nicer than DT100s.

Yeah probably not good in the rain ;)

Sound quality is OK, not too detailed though.

I hear no highs, I feel no lows.......

On the Quietcomfort 15, you mean?

True the highs are a bit thin, but the lows are actually too loud like on most closed headphones.

But you hear a lot more in (very) loud situations than with any other headphones, because of the impressive noise cancellation on all frequencies.

I bought this headphone too. Very agreable when travelling. Its sound is OK, and its silence wonderful. (a little "phasy")
It is very difficult for me to work with a new headphone, so I am still working with my HD25. But maybe one day I will try the Bose in  very noisy location or the day I will forget my HD25....