New Digital Wireless

Jeff Wexler

New topic heading to continue discussion of new choices for digital wireless (did not want to hijack the original question about scanners and security).

It could turn out that the Sony digital wireless is competitive, even at these high prices, for certain features per dollar. For example, the Sony digital wireless, according to Scott, has remote control capability directly from the receiver whereas the Zaxcom units need an additional item, the IFB interface/remote control, to do remote control functions. UPADTE and Correction: IFB and remote control functions are now built into QRX receivers. But then you go on to try and compare and discover that the remote control for the Zaxcom units also gives you IFB feature and control over the recording feature of the transmitter (something that the Sony does not do).

I think we will have to wait for the Sony units to get some mileage on them, discover what features they have and do not have, and then start a comparison to the other product (or products) available for our use.

- Jeff Wexler

• 3 years later...

New Digital Wireless

Transmitter size: Finger indicator

Receiver size: Something like a today transmitter.

Battery for transmitter and receiver: internal nanotechnology battery. Life for 12 hours.

Without interference for recorders etc.

Connection between other manufacturers without losses (audio quality, RF etc). Something like a MIDI philosophy.

SAME cable for all. TA5 or TA3 or something else. And recorders we have the same input for receivers.

:)

Digital signals will not increase range. Digital and analog systems both use analog carrier waves.

According to the Sony write up of their system, you need less of a signal to noise ratio for their system to be clean. Wouldn't this allow you a greater "range"?

Granted I may already have the answer as when we walked tested them here we found the Sony's didn't perform as well as a UM400 and Lectro SR, but there are a lot of different factors in a test like that besides comparing required ratio of signal to noise for a clean transmission vs range.

Hello Mike,

I would be more than happy to share my experience. I had recently done a range test with the SONY DWX system. There is a very short write up at:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.293918064013656.68075.292419740830155&type=3

I have also uploaded some pictures with some basic information on my experience of the systems at:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.293864500685679.68060.292419740830155&type=3

Hope this is useful. I am willing to post more information, depending on what anyone would like me to test for. I am thinking of doing a audio recording with this system:

SONY DWT-B01 Tranmitter

SONY ECM88BCX Lavaliere

SONY DWR-S01 Receiver

recording onto a TASCAM HS-P82. I will record most common sound: Transients (Claps), Voice (male), Key jingling.

Do suggest anything else you would like in this test.

Regards,

Ashok

Why don't you begin by sharing your experiences ? ???