Getting an audio reference track in the ALEXA

For $10 a line level (-10db) mic from supercircuits ......of course scratch only...... you'll need to rig a 9v battery

http://www.supercircuits.com/accessories/super-high-gain-micro-audio-system-pa3

this should get you a great recording of the camera operator's handling noises.  though you can tap 12v dc out of the camera to power it.

Hi,

I'd like to get a scratch track into the Arri Alexa.

Joe,

When we refer to a scratch track, it is usually a mono mix of what the sound department is recording. 

It is strictly for quick viewing, reference, and possibly rough cut editing later on....

Though the specs of an Alexa are superior, that is the exception, not the rule, so to speak.

If you are attempting to wrangle an actual working track for editorial here, there is only ONE way to ensure success -

Hire a professional and worry less about sound, and more about the picture and overall production - you have the best camera out there - maximize it.   Put a little crew together and make your client an awesome product that will get you and your client yet another shot at another shoot.

Do not "one man band" it with an Alexa...

I just don't understand the rush, on this newsgroup, to denigrate what we do by "helping" / enabling the elimination of our craft and position even once .... this happens a lot here.

What we do is special, involves experiences and focus, and is worth every penny in "bringing it home" on any shoot, large or small.

MF

MF

Genius Joe: " a small mixer, that could be attached to the camera "

Fostex makes one, designed for dSLR's...

BTW, if you " like to get a scratch track into the Arri Alexa.   "

that implies someone is doing the primary, double system audio, and you should let that crew provide your "scratch" needs...

and what MF says!!

Do not "one man band" it with an Alexa... I just don't understand the rush, on this newsgroup, to denigrate what we do by "helping" / enabling the elimination of our craft and position even once .... this happens a lot here.

Doh, it's worse on the Red User Group. I have said a dozen times on that group, "I'm amazed that filmmakers who spend $40,000 on a camera balk at spending even 1/10th of this amount on a very basic audio set up, and argue with me about the suitability of mounting a cheap microphone right on the camera."  banghead.gif

It's just appalling, especially when you consider that a beautifully shot film with terrible dialogue is 1) a piece of crap, 2) expensive to fix in post. It would be far cheaper, faster, and more productive just to get the sound right in the first place.

It's just appalling, especially when you consider that a beautifully shot film with terrible dialogue is 1) a piece of crap, 2) expensive to fix in post. It would be far cheaper, faster, and more productive just to get the sound right in the first place.

The sad thing is, even after explaining this to filmmakers, they still want to go ahead and shoot. Then a few months later their calling you to let you know that their movie is crap because sound was not recorded well on the first place.....

banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif

• 5 years later...

Hi guys, I know this is several years later, but there is a very convenient and cheap way of getting audio into the Alexa classic or Alexa plus and you probably have mostly everything already (maybe not the 5 pin to 3 pin xlr but I got mine for like $40).

First off i'm not discounting any of the professional responses so far.  I think Joe was simply wanting scratch audio, just like myself...so anyway....if you have any external recorder Zoom, Tascam etc. that has a line out you should be good to go.

1)Zoom H1n or any other recorder with a line out (most have the 3.5mm out)

2) 5 pin to 3 pin XLR cable ( I believe you have to do a thorough research for this as not all cables are equal)

3) 3.5mm to 3 pin XLR Male which connects to the cable described in No.2

That's it.  I just did a test and it works absolutely fine.  I have a few recorders and tried them out on all...from the Mix Pre3 (too bulky for my taste), right down to the Zoom H1n  I also have a tiny Sony IC recorder which i'm gonna also try.  The smaller the better for me, so I plan to get a Velcro strap to mount it to my rig.

Remember guys most of these consumer/prosumer external recorders have some type of pre-amp (even it they aren't great) and you're basically just sending that signal to the line out of those recorders then into the Alexa.  

If anyone wants any pics to my setup just let me know...cheers.

Hope this helps newbies to Alexa

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2014 at 7:56 PM, David Lezynski said:

For $10 a line level (-10db) mic from supercircuits ......of course scratch only...... you'll need to rig a 9v battery

http://www.supercircuits.com/accessories/super-high-gain-micro-audio-system-pa3

That link is now dead, couldn't find it by searching on Super Circuits, any other links to it now?

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 6:41 AM, peteypete said:

Hi guys, I know this is several years later, but there is a very convenient and cheap way of getting audio into the Alexa classic or Alexa plus and you probably have mostly everything already (maybe not the 5 pin to 3 pin xlr but I got mine for like $40).

First off i'm not discounting any of the professional responses so far.  I think Joe was simply wanting scratch audio, just like myself...so anyway....if you have any external recorder Zoom, Tascam etc. that has a line out you should be good to go.

1)Zoom H1n or any other recorder with a line out (most have the 3.5mm out)

2) 5 pin to 3 pin XLR cable ( I believe you have to do a thorough research for this as not all cables are equal)

3) 3.5mm to 3 pin XLR Male which connects to the cable described in No.2

That's it.  I just did a test and it works absolutely fine.  I have a few recorders and tried them out on all...from the Mix Pre3 (too bulky for my taste), right down to the Zoom H1n  I also have a tiny Sony IC recorder which i'm gonna also try.  The smaller the better for me, so I plan to get a Velcro strap to mount it to my rig.

Remember guys most of these consumer/prosumer external recorders have some type of pre-amp (even it they aren't great) and you're basically just sending that signal to the line out of those recorders then into the Alexa.  

If anyone wants any pics to my setup just let me know...cheers.

Hope this helps newbies to Alexa

Would this cable work for this?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994799-REG/rode_nt4_mj_xlr_to_3_5mm_stereo.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7LSuus_R6AIVxZ-zCh0x-QaPEAQYASABEgJWOfD_BwE

Of course you'd still need the proper "adaptor cable", but many years ago both Shure and Electrovoice offered a "line level" stick microphone.  They required a battery and essentially had a mic pre built into the handle.  The EV mic was a model RE34.  I have one!  It can be quite handy especially for testing purposes.  The Shure was a model SM82 and they may have had another one as well, I can't remember.

I'm not really suggesting that OP consider using one of the above, just pointing out that such items do, or at least did, exist.

Tom

• 1 year later...