Audio Limit 2020 legal frequency ?

nossnevs

How can an owner, or a shop, get into trouble for retuning things to make them transmit/receive on legal frequencies? It would seem that both are following the spirit of the law by not wanting to use illegal frequencies. Unless, of course, it's an RoHS thing in which case there out to be some sort of cost/benefit analysis done to allow it.

It is a RoHS thing (see post 17). Retuning the 2020s can apparently only be done by ignoring RoHS for which the shop and subsequently the owner could get into trouble, although unlikely. But it becomes more likely by discussing it on the net, hence my recommendation

"Can you still work without any integrated scanner ?" "

yes

Mike, you like things and words to be precise, ...OK !
So, my tought was :
Do you want to work without....... My personnal answer is : I really want to avoid this situation.

No it's not answering my question.

My question was : "Can you still work without any integrated scanner ?"

I have worked for years with 2020 and 2040, I know them pretty good, they were very popular here in France. They do not have an integrated scanner (I know that with a palm the 2040... a palm today !? :blink: )

Zaxcom, Lectro, Wisycom, Audio Ltd EN2, ...and even G2 and G3 : they all get scanners IN their receivers.

Sorry VM I should have checked that the info was on there but the answer to your original question is yes. Scanning with signal strength on location is possible through AudiR for Palm.

I actually prefer working with an external scanner (RF Explorer in my case). In contrast to an on-board scanner which just finds a free frequency, the RF Explorer shows what's going on in my frequency range, and which of my pre-set, intermod-free channels I can use.

That's not true for all cases. E.g. Lectro's on-board scanner provides an overview of its entire range. I still agree, though, that an external scanner can be very useful

I think you will find that the next generation of 2040's will adopt the scanner and smart set up of the EN2, but the EN2 is a perfectly good product in its own right.

Next generation of 2040s? I think you will find that the 2040 is the last evolution of the RMS2000 / 2020 / 2040 range. The next range - as with many manufacturers - is likely to be a digital one. 

Tim

" I don't know how exactly the term "radio" is defined, "

several to choose from, wikipedia is your friend...

Not really. Wikipedia needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. As any encyclopedia should. Anyway, the point was (as I needlessly explain to you, as you probably already know it) not so much a question of the general definition of radio, but rather if the word "radio" automatically implies analogue.

" if the word "radio" automatically implies analogue. "

not to me...

(Amateur Radio, commercial radiotelephone and commercial radiotelegraph licensed since the 1950's...)

good, I thought as much.

So in 6 easy posts we have established what we probably knew before: the next series Audio Ltd wireless mics can still be called RMS20XX, even if they produce a digital system.

What is RoHS? I had hoped my 2020's could be retuned and continued to used as they work well. 

The Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive 2002/95/EC, RoHS, short for Directive on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment, was adopted in February 2003 by the European Union.[1]

The RoHS directive took effect on 1 July 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restriction_of_Hazardous_Substances_Directive

Possibly lead in solder on PCB's in 2020's

The RoHS regulations are to do with lead in solder, and apply to circuit boards as well as bits of cable. Some will remember that for a number of years Lectro didnt really take much of an interest in European and UK sales of certain products, because they were not RoHS compliant, and would have needed newly designed boards to make them comply.

As I understand it, Audio Ltd realised that they would need to design an entirely new board, RoHS compliant, in order to be able to upgrade 2020 units to Ch38 (when we all had to change Fz a few years ago) and that this was not economically viable. The cost of the newly designed and manufactured boards would be nearly as much as a replacement 2040 unit. This was not the case for 2040 units, as those boards were already RoHS compliant, so no problems there.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Do you think there is any chance I could find a Radio MacGyver type, who could with a paperclip, a bit of string and a fearless approach to Lead Solder could still change the frequency of my 2020's without going back to Audio Ltd? Are the parts to make the change actually available and can it be done? A MacGyver in the Southern Hemisphere would be more helpful.

Yes, i think most service stations should be able to do it - if they still have the parts. And in your part of the world it might be legal, I don't know. If you do find McGyver though, please ask him to write a book or something so we all can learn!

Hi Rainier,and interesting to see where you are, in Australia. Here in the UK we were made to clear the 800-900 Fz band by the government, so that they could sell the Fz to mobile phone companies or whoever. There was a complicated scheme set up where those users who had bought licences in previous years were given compensation on handing in their kit, or were given the cost of upgrading their kit to the new Fz in lieu of compensation. In my case I had the Rx upgraded, but chose to buy new Tx (as those are the bits that get the most worn in use).

The OFCOM (government department who dealt with the scheme) people originally suggested that the equipment taken in would be disposed of, and we assumed crushed or similar. We subsequently heard that they were looking to sell the huge quantity of kit that had been handed in to whoever might be interested to buy it. I heard through the grapevine at one point that the Australian dealer for Audio Ltd had been offered a huge quantity of used, untested, Audio Ltd kit - presumably by the OFCOM people. In the end I believe it came to nothing, but there might, just might, have been a huge stack of kit available in your region.

As to the McGuyver, I dont know af anyone, and if you could find someone I wonder how much work in terms of hours/cost it might take to sort the units out. Its a bit like taking a PC and making it run Mac operating system. It can be done, but will it be reliable, cost effective, and why would you bother?

Kindest regards,

Simon B