Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber...

aginzo

I started off with a cheap Rode aluminum pole.  When it was extended to maximum it would creak.  Just be forewarned if you choose the cheapest option.  I can only assume more expensive aluminum poles are made to a higher standard.

I started with the Rode as well; the creaking was a major influence in my move to better pole.

Five and a half ounces is a lot when you're working at 16 feet.

Thats true but I work mostly at 7-9 feet for my documentaries. The poles I mentioned are around 12feet.

Ambient booms can't really have a coiled cable because the top section is too small in diameter.

For "short and light" I prefer my good old VDB, for "long with full Rycote" it's a carbon Panamic.

Thanks for the explanation with the small diameter.

I know a Panamic from rental and I do like it very much. Think its the 5811 1,5m-4m 870g around 600 Euro incl. tax. Panamics have no internal cable option from their website. And I look for a shorter collapsed length. The 5807 1m-4m 690g is around 875Euro incl. tax. and also without cable.

This is why I look at K-tek and wonder if there is a difference in cable noise Avalon 144 vs Klassic 152.   

Did anybody compare a K-Tek 152CCR and a Ambient QP480 in person? I never had an internal cabeld pole - always shorter Ambient and VdB (2,6m). My much liked QP 480 (external cable)  was stolen quite short after purchase.

Recently I had a short Test with a 152 CCR of another sound guy and was surprised how little cable noise it makes. Then I saw the price 699 Euro :-( 

But the Aluminium 12' 144CCR is only 279 Euro. 

In fact the K-tek homepage does not really tell the differences between Avalon and Klasssik in their series beneath stating Klassic is more modular - whatever that means. 

The design of the collars looks for more grip though.

Weight difference is 856g vs 1016g which sounds not that much for me

Is there a difference in internal cable noise between K-152 / 144 / QP 480?

Ambient only offers straight internal cables and that seems to me of no advantage vs external as I like to disconnect the boom quickly from the mixer and avoid messing with cables. Maybe another company does an coiled cable for it?

There is not one dealer in germany that has them in stock in whole germany...

Recently I had a rental QP4140 which is also 1000g (external cable) - I did not need the full length and think about buying the 144 ccr.

Good to read here about dents - any more drawbacks?  

I can't really comment on the QP480, but I'm sure it's a fine pole, as Ambient makes some really quality products. I own a K-Tek Klassic 152CCR, and I absolutely love this pole. I'm sure the 144 is not a bad pole, but you get what you pay for. The aluminum will weigh much more when you extend it and use it for hours.

Imo, cable noise is due to the operator, not the pole. I have not had an issue with it using any one pole more than others.

thanx - just wondering cause I have found some poles cause easier handling noise than others. for example the VdB I had was not so good as the quickpole qx 565 I now have but it was lighter.

And while I had the QP480 I think it was a tad better than the QX 565 regarding handling noise. Stiffer, faster, easier to lock/unlock anyway.

lovely "it depends..." is back :-) :-) :-) hi SENATOR Mike

As you quoted I wrote "I have found..." and this is what I was looking for as well. Personal opinions that may vary.

Like Philip Perkins that states Aluminium Poles have more handling noise and he uses no internal cable with it 

(wonder which models he used) 

Or Jesse Flaitz that upgraded from 144 to 152 and says its worth it - but why? only weight? 

Nevertheless thanx for your " but generally, not enough to matter..."

I've used the 152CCR on several features and LOVED it. It's a perfect length for being very adaptable to almost all situations. Of course, using the big feature poles is much more fun lol.

But it doesn't sound like OP is looking for a 20' feature pole.

From my OMB days, I got a kit on Amazon that did me really well; it included a mic, accessories, pole, and a carry-bag to put it all in. The pole is the only thing I still use, the Avalon KE-89CC. It's compact and cozy and very much affordable. It's aluminum, but due to the size it's rather hard to notice. It's even made its way into a couple features when the 152CCR was too big. I'd recommend looking into it. ENG work would be well suited for it, especially if you're a OMB.

I hear many people talking about cable noise from internally cabled poles. When the cable gets coiled tightly, it is more likely to make internal noise (tension, and more room to swing around and strike the insides). When the cable is coiled more loosely, it has less tension, and therefore less cable noise. 

So, if you're getting cable noise, try spinning the sections at the knuckle. This will twist the cable and make it looser or tighter, depending on direction. Twisting too much can damage the cable, so don't go crazy with this.

Just a tip from experience.

" I wrote "I have found..." and this is what I was looking for as well. " + "  but generally, not enough to matter... "

how about: But generally, I have found, not enough to matter.  ?

LOL - that's it :-) 

Thanx JFGrijalva for the tip with the loose coiled cable!!!

BTW on the documentaries I do we are most of the time three man band - Camera,Sound,Director except for occasional reenactments on bigger productions with up to 20 people on set.

Avalon vs. Klassic here and here.

As far as dealers in Germany we have: 

http://www.digitalaudioservice.com/

http://www.filmtontechnik.de/

http://www.wellen-noethen.com/index.php

Of course we have dealers all over Europe. You can see a list of our dealers here.

The K152CCR is a very popular boom pole. I would hope one of our dealers in Germany has one in stock. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can figure something out for you. I'm assuming you actually want to get your hands on one to try it out? The price of 699 Euro isn't bad compared to the price of it in US dollars. I honestly don't know the street price of it over there, but you have to take into account shipping costs and duties paid for by the dealers. 

" This is why I look at K-tek and wonder if there is a difference in cable noise Avalon 144 vs Klassic 152.  "

that is difficult to say, as there could be other factors (like differences amongst operators), but generally, not enough to matter...

A very useful response.  Try 'em out for yourself.  Depends what kind of a boom operator you are.  

Rental locally here is $25/day, you can rent one on your next gig and the other kind on the gig after that.  You'll have your answer pretty quickly I'd assume.  Thinking more about it, I'd say you may want a day or so with one before deciding rather than just playing in the showroom.