10.9 Mavericks is free

Christian Spaeth

I'm usually cool with upgrading to the latest, but like many, I wait until all the nicks and kinks have been worked out. It will be a few months probably until I download this.

Finder Tabs is certainly something I've been wanting for as well! Also: Multiple Displays for my dual screen set-up!!!

There are also some reports of people having PT 9.0.6 "working just fine" on Mavericks, so it **might work** -  of course it is NOT supported by Avid, so I am not recommending this by any means.

The biggest "known issue" that concerns me is the increased and frequent -6101 cpu overload errors.  Also, all of the uninstallers break.

I've tried installing from 10.6.8 to 10.9 today. I use PT 9, and I'll say my sessions are opening and functioning fine. The problem is the hardware (MBox 2 Mini) not able to output any audio even though the computer sees and recognizes the hardware via USB. Going to need a firmware update for hardware.

OS X 10.9 changes the folder where kernel extensions (i.e. the meat of any audio interface's driver) goes, it also adds new requirements for signatures on those files to verify where they came from.

It's clearly not going to be "try it and see if it still works after the update", all hardware will need some tweaks to their support software.

There is stuff to do on the software side as well - any application that loads a plug-in (e.g. flash player in web browser, DSP effect in a sound app) is going to be prevented from talking to other things that are in the kernel.

Please trust the hardware/software providers when they say "not yet" or "don't know".  Apple doesn't make it easy to foresee how things will be affected, and even with testing on developer releases, these kinds of audio products always manage to find the gotchas in the OS and the drivers.  

OS X 10.9 is adding a new paradigm for unseen protection and reliability, don't be surprised if there are problems for early adopters, especially in our industry where it's been too easy for hardware and software to abuse the OS to get some of the cool things we do done.

Tom.

Updated from 10.6.8 to Mavericks on my late 2007 MBPro. Everything seems to be working. Digital Performer 5, MOTU 828mkII, FCP7, Adobe CS6, WaveAgent. I'll be scoring a short film in the next couple weeks and I've been thinking of getting LogicX since it has so many tools included for easy music making in-program. Anyway...seems to be a decent and mostly compatible OS.

if you are using it on a work machine, it's probably wise to wait for the 10.9.01 or 10.9.02 update. often the .01 update is the quick bug fixes, but sometimes creates new ones. 

I don't do post, so my work machine is really my Deva or Nomad. I can invoice and email from my computer, phone or tablet. I do work on my computer, but I don't need ProTools running.... that's why I installed 10.9 yesterday. So far I like it. I'm really excited about the major revamping of the keychain, and integration with iOS. Not only does it store passwords, it suggests high security ones (like 3rd party apps have been doing, LastPass etc). It's not as developed as those 3rd party solutions, but it's written into the OS and more people will get better about securing their stuff. 

Offhand, ProTools has been like this forever. It makes sense. They shouldn't rush to support a new OS till the know they can vouch for it working (theoretically) perfectly. I always knew a lot of AV people that stayed one full OS behind for these reasons, and they've been doing that for 20 years. 

We followed this going back to the first ProTools rig I personally used on a PowerMac 6500 (circa 1997). We put one in the production studio at a college radio station, and at some point we decided to disconnect the machine from the internet. Being on a university network, you want to keep up on security. Running ProTools, you want stability. We opted for stability. 

OS X 10.9 changes the folder where kernel extensions (i.e. the meat of any audio interface's driver) goes, it also adds new requirements for signatures on those files to verify where they came from.

that's interesting. I'm hesitant to update because I'm not sure my Onyx Blackjack will still work. Has anybody run into problems with their audio interfaces after updating to Mavericks?

Updated from 10.6.8 to Mavericks on my late 2007 MBPro. Everything seems to be working. Digital Performer 5, MOTU 828mkII, FCP7, Adobe CS6, WaveAgent. I'll be scoring a short film in the next couple weeks and I've been thinking of getting LogicX since it has so many tools included for easy music making in-program. Anyway...seems to be a decent and mostly compatible OS.

Any plugins not working ?

Feeling particularly brave, got nothing on the immediate horizon that will require Pro Tools, just need to keep Parallels 8 running and a quick search on the web shows that people still running it fine.

With the move to surf break names, I wonder what is coming next?  Pipeline, Rocky Point, Kaisers, Rockaways, Zuma, Shitpipe, Blacks...

Anyone else annoyed with the way Finder windows work now in 10.9? I like the idea of Tabs but I don't like the fact that it looks like you cannot set it to always open Folders in a new window (which is the way I have always worked). It seems that you have to use the Command key and double-click a Folder --- the contents of that Folder will either be in a new Tab or a new window (depending on Finder preference setting). If you just double-click (no Command key) then Folder contents replaces content in the same window. Maybe I'm missing something.

Feeling particularly brave, got nothing on the immediate horizon that will require Pro Tools, just need to keep Parallels 8 running and a quick search on the web shows that people still running it fine.

With the move to surf break names, I wonder what is coming next? Pipeline, Rocky Point, Kaisers, Rockaways, Zuma, Shitpipe, Blacks...

I've yet to run into any software issues with PT9 and 10.9. Just the dead mbox 2 mini drivers. If you have mbox 2 however, users are successfully running everything just fine (after reinstalling the mbox drivers).... ymmv

Ok, so I jumped too (after cloning my startup drive with Carbon Copy Cloner, of course).

As far as I can tell, Pro Tools 9.0.6 runs just fine on my 2010 MBP with 2.6GHz i7. My interface is Apogee Duet - the driver update was already available on their site. No problems there. Decided to test PT by composing a new music track, tested a bunch of plug-ins, including 3rd party stuff like Massey, Native Instruments etc. Everything seems fine. Pro Tools chokes after adding more than 4-5 virtual instruments, so nothing new there hah! Reminded me why I only use Logic to create music.

Jeff, I think you are right about the Finder, but this is actually how I personally always liked it, since having a bunch of windows open gets messy quickly imho. With the tabs, I see no need to even have a second window open, since files can be dragged/copied into the other tabs. Of course, I don't know how you work or what you are trying to do, so I agree that the option should still be there.

I'm very much liking the Maps. I work mostly in new locations all the time, so map bookmarks on the computer showing up instantly on the phone is great. The 3D satellite view is insane, btw. I can see stuff on my deck haha, and flying around the high-rise buildings in Downtown... not sure how they did it, but it looks like there's not one single car on the freeways. Zombie apocalypse?  :P (yeah, I'm bored from having some downtime haha, someone, quick - throw me a gig before I start building carts and stuff that I don't need).

Very happy to see the stupid fake-leather stuff gone from calendars and contacts... 

Battery life does indeed seem to be improved.