10.9 Mavericks is free

Christian Spaeth

So with Mavericks you can no longer manually sync your iOS devices. I used to hook up my iPhone to iTunes via USB to put music on the phone from time to time. This is no longer possible. So you are forced into using iCloud in order to sync iOS devices with your macs. Bummer.

Just tested this here with iPhone 5 and it works as before.

In the sidebar of iTunes, select your iOS device and make sure you have "Manually manage music and videos" checked under Summary > Options.

Please trust the hardware/software providers when they say "not yet" or "don't know".  Apple doesn't make it easy to foresee how things will be affected, and even with testing on developer releases, these kinds of audio products always manage to find the gotchas in the OS and the drivers.  

This is very wise advice. I think it makes sense to always stay one generation behind in operating systems, because you know they're going to be reliable. Anybody who's doing mission-critical work with Avid, Pro Tools, DaVinci Resolve, or any other pro software has to be very, very careful with operating system updates. I'd wait 2-3 months for all the software makers to get up to speed, and then wait for Apple to release OSX 10.9.1, which will fix the inevitable bugs with 10.9.0.

I'm already bracing myself for the potential hardware/software problems with the new MacPros, due out in a few more weeks...

This is very wise advice. I think it makes sense to always stay one generation behind in operating systems, because you know they're going to be reliable. Anybody who's doing mission-critical work with Avid, Pro Tools, DaVinci Resolve, or any other pro software has to be very, very careful with operating system updates. I'd wait 2-3 months for all the software makers to get up to speed, and then wait for Apple to release OSX 10.9.1, which will fix the inevitable bugs with 10.9.0.

I'm already bracing myself for the potential hardware/software problems with the new MacPros, due out in a few more weeks...

Totally agree.

Anyone else annoyed with the way Finder windows work now in 10.9? I like the idea of Tabs but I don't like the fact that it looks like you cannot set it to always open Folders in a new window (which is the way I have always worked). It seems that you have to use the Command key and double-click a Folder --- the contents of that Folder will either be in a new Tab or a new window (depending on Finder preference setting). If you just double-click (no Command key) then Folder contents replaces content in the same window. Maybe I'm missing something.

Yes, I miss multiple windows open.

I think what they are trying to do is eliminate all the mini flash movies that load on all those windows open.... slows it all down.

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling particularly brave, got nothing on the immediate horizon that will require Pro Tools, just need to keep Parallels 8 running and a quick search on the web shows that people still running it fine.

With the move to surf break names, I wonder what is coming next?  Pipeline, Rocky Point, Kaisers, Rockaways, Zuma, Shitpipe, Blacks...

How about Rockpile....Threes.... and Ala Moana...  I used to live at Kaisers....  Still sad about Buttons...

I think there is a paddle out for him really soon.  We also lost another surfer the other day at Alligator rock, Carlsbad guy - Kirk Passmore.  It may be a little premature to say "lost" as technically the search is still ongoing, but I think I heard that the family is being realistic.  I was working at Haleiwa for the Reef Pro when it happened.  Looking over at Avalanche, I'm sure I saw 25'+ sets rolling in.

If you've been to Banzai Sushi recently at North Shore Marketplace, he was the manager there and could normally be found tending bar.

For town breaks, I love Kaisers.  I also go to Kewalo's and Diamondhead sometimes too.

I used to go to Diamond head all the time...  many times making the paddle out or in with my board upside down...

I read about Kirk...  Big waves are no laughing matter.... serious business... People that have never surfed will never understand how serious...

Thanks for the link.... never saw that...

Still miss Terriaki plate, side rice, kimchi... at Rainbow grill...  Everytime I go back, it's the first thing I do..

You are a lucky guy to be there... Don't loose sight of that.. ::)

I've installed it. It's free and that's because it isn't worth any money. There is nothing worth upgrading in this at all, and I honestly think it is a step backwards in terms of UI. The tabs thing? Not as cool as you think. Instantly reply to notifications? I don't ever need to do that, and my computer beeps whenever I get a new notification anyway, so that's uselss. Maps? Don't need it. iBooks? Doesn't work, at least not with samples. 

The worst thing they did was mess with multiple screens. It was fine the way it was. I use a Macbook Pro and an external monitor at work, and with the older OS I had up to 8 desktops. I usually have two different browsers open, email, messaging, iTunes, Adobe reader, Pages, Skype, and Preview.  It was great before. Now, they "improved" it to 5. It has really disrupted my workflow, especially when I'm editing video.  My secondary monitor is the same desktop and doesn't change like it used to when I switched between desktops. They conveniently left that part out of their keynote address. 

I have a bootable back up of the previous OS on another disk. I just need to take the time to deal with it. 

So, knowing what I know now, I would NOT "upgrade" do Mavericks.