Loon Boompoles

Labarba

For your enjoyment, two links below.   My Loon so far is the best pole I've had. K-Tek's very good too but seems to take forever to ''break in''; tubes still stucking after a year of *second pole use* so it's not been used the quarter of times I've used my Loon (I really like the collars grip). Also got an Ambient and a VdB. I quick-checked a PSC pole down at PSS LA last april in their showroom and I had a good feeling about that pole. Loon's been excellent from day one and later on in rain, snow, heat, etc... never failed. Seems it's their business that's more prone to issues unfortunately.        

As far as I'm concerned, they are not in business.  I ordered a pole from them last summer.  They took my money and never delivered the pole.  I spoke to the owner multiple times and each time he said he would be shipping it out next day or so.  I never received it so I finally got fed up and called my credit card company.  After a short investigation, the charge was removed from my card.  The letter I received from my card company only said they ruled in my favor with no mention as to whether or not he refunded the $.  I personally think the guys got a screw loose.

I have an 18 foot Loon and love it. Just worked with a boom op that never used one before and now he's going to try to find one.

I'm looking to get a long pole when booming for narrative work, and Loon was a main contender, but I'm afraid to get into it for the reasons mentioned above.

I also love my Loon pole. After several years of use I needed another internal cable along with the basemate and wing. I ordered off the web site and noticed my credit card order was very quickly accepted. For the parts to arrive it took 3 months and 7 or 8 phone calls to prod them to ship. I was grateful that I finally got my parts but it was a bit of a hassle.

I also love my Loon pole. After several years of use I needed another internal cable along with the basemate and wing. I ordered off the web site and noticed my credit card order was very quickly accepted. For the parts to arrive it took 3 months and 7 or 8 phone calls to prod them to ship. I was grateful that I finally got my parts but it was a bit of a hassle.

Ugh. I keep thinking I should have a spare internal cable, but that's a bummer.

I wish they would just ship some poles and parts to a "usual suspect" dealer, then we could call xxxxxxxxx Sound Company Inc and know what's in stock and know we will get it as quick at shipping takes.

You can get ahold of Don to order, but here's the trick. You have to spam him via email and phone to get his attention. When you do, place your order, but DO NOT pay until you receive your order. You'll have to spam him all the way until you get your order in hand.....seriously though, it eventually works.

Pro sound was able to get a few poles for their booth at NAB this year. They may have better luck getting through to him? I picked up a 21ft pole only from them because I could walk away with it in my hands. I definitely don't expect service should anything happen with the pole. If I was looking at a new pole I would be getting a Ktek or Ambient until things change with Loons service.

I'm looking to get a long pole when booming for narrative work, and Loon was a main contender, but I'm afraid to get into it for the reasons mentioned above.

Worth looking at the Ambient QS, their new top of the line ultra rigid boom. http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/quickpole-qs/qs.html

I checked one out when passing through Munich earlier this year and it is an amazing piece of engineering. 5.2m standard (17 feet in old money) and 6.75m (22 feet) with the 5th section. 

Tim

Worth looking at the Ambient QS, their new top of the line ultra rigid boom. http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/quickpole-qs/qs.html

I checked one out when passing through Munich earlier this year and it is an amazing piece of engineering. 5.2m standard (17 feet in old money) and 6.75m (22 feet) with the 5th section. 

Tim

Thanks for the recommendation Tim. I will definitely look into it! I already had Ambient as a contender as well, but wasn't too sure which one to look into. Thanks again!

Cheers,

J.