Best antennas for bag.

Matteo Olivari

Hi guys,

i'm about to begin a new feature completely on shoulder and the director rely basically on the radio mics.

I'll be using an Octopak and i'd like to get the best RF range that i can.

I was thinking to mount a couple of log periodic antennas on the bag.

Do you guys can advice me some small , light and powerful log periodic antennas or an alternative to the log periodic?

Many thanks

" feature completely on shoulder "

most real features are not "completely on shoulder"

and typically have at least a 2 person production sound crew.

I would call this a movie, perhaps feature length, but it is almost certainly not going to be featured anywhere more significant that a crew party...

" the director rely basically on the radio mics "

is the director also the sound mixer ?

beware: unreasonable expectations

" powerful log periodic antennas "

this may be a language problem, but RX antennae (sic) are not  powerful

" thinking to mount a couple of log periodic antennas on the bag. "

this would be pretty inconvenient and awkward on the shoulder...

antenna systems are frequently discussed here, including antenna systems for "bag" (aka shoulder) use.

Edited by studiomprd

"Best antennas for bag"

Best antennas are not for bag but for the situation your are  recording.
My prefered set up (bag or cart) is : 2 whip antennas, 1 whip  plus 1 log periodic, 2 log periodic. It depends on the situation.

real features are not "completely on shoulder"

and have at least a 2 person production sound crew.

Are "real features" only union? Who are you to decide what is a "real" feature? 

When I started in the mid nineties, I recorded a bunch of "real" feature films by myself with a shotgun and a nagra on my shoulder. Many were shot on 35mm, many had a theatrical run, some disappeared completely - but that can happen with ANY feature of ANY budget. 

Just because you have a poverty of original ideas, does not mean other people cannot make a "real" feature film. And I know for sure you can make a "real" feature without a hundred people on set. I'm sure Cassavettes and countless other "real" filmmakers would agree with me.

How about an RFVenue Diversity antenna on a boompole?

Hi guys,

i'm about to begin a new feature completely on shoulder and the director rely basically on the radio mics.

I'll be using an Octopak and i'd like to get the best RF range that i can.

I was thinking to mount a couple of log periodic antennas on the bag.

Do you guys can advice me some small , light and powerful log periodic antennas or an alternative to the log periodic?

Many thanks

When I started in the mid nineties, I recorded a bunch of "real" feature films by myself with a shotgun and a nagra on my shoulder. Many were shot on 35mm, many had a theatrical run, some disappeared completely - but that can happen with ANY feature of ANY budget.

The 90's were very different times. No need for assault.

The 90's were very different times. No need for assault.

Hardly an assault. And with more Indy films being made now than in the 90s, I think my statement holds just as much weight.

Besides, that wasn't my point and I don't want to hijack the OPs thread. I just want to call bulls**t on the President of Showbusiness and his remarks about "real" features.

I would call this a movie but it is almost certainly going to be featured anywhere more significant that a crew party...
Senator, you may wish to rethink this sentence. On various levels. I think you are taking issue with the indiscriminate use of the word feature rather than the word movie. Is that really such a big problem for you? In other instances you are willing to accept "a language thing", but not in this case. Why not?

I also suggest the RF diversity fin antenna. Especially if you're not on a cart and need to be portable. Provides two antennas in a single point system. Can clip to a bag with a flexi mount or you can easily remote it out using the same flexi mount and available structure or a single light stand. I'll post some pics later. Attached to a petrol 601 feeding a Sennheiser quad pack. Significant improvement in range and consistency for this setup. Good luck!

You can always mount that diversity fin to a lightweight stand, existing structures, or to a boompole if you need to walk during recording.

However, if your frequencies are good (and coordinated), you might be doing as well or even better with the on-board whips, as you'll usually be able to be quite close to the action in fictional shoots. Using one pair of antennae for all RX means splitting them, and making up for the inherent loss.

" feature completely on shoulder "

most real features are not "completely on shoulder"

and typically have at least a 2 person production sound crew.

I would call this a movie, perhaps feature length, but it is almost certainly not going to be featured anywhere more significant that a crew party...

" the director rely basically on the radio mics "

is the director also the sound mixer ?

beware: unreasonable expectations

" powerful log periodic antennas "

this may be a language problem, but RX antennae (sic) are not  powerful

" thinking to mount a couple of log periodic antennas on the bag. "

this would be pretty inconvenient and awkward on the shoulder...

antenna systems are frequently discussed here, including antenna systems for "bag" (aka shoulder) use.

you didn't answer to any of my question.

I really don't understand your point.

Senator, you may wish to rethink this sentence. On various levels. I think you are taking issue with the indiscriminate use of the word feature rather than the word movie. Is that really such a big problem for you? In other instances you are willing to accept "a language thing", but not in this case. Why not?

Hey Constantin, I think you're paying too much attention to that guy. I agree with you most of the time but remember: there's always the "ignore" list...