Time Code question

Mack

I don't know if I have this in the right section, but I will do it here and see what happens.

I am an audio engineer and have a project coming up where I need to lock my audio gear to time of day TC.   I am using a protools HDX system with a Sync HD.  It is currently hooked to a big ben for my word clock source and I am planning on running my session at 96/32.  I will resample to 48/24 after post and give it to the video guy.

If I take LTC in from the time of day generator from video world, do I also need to take in his clock source?  All I really need is to be locked to his time code instead of what I normally internally generate.    Do I need his video positional reference as well?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I don't know if I have this in the right section, but I will do it here and see what happens.

I am an audio engineer and have a project coming up where I need to lock my audio gear to time of day TC.   I am using a protools HDX system with a Sync HD.  It is currently hooked to a big ben for my word clock source and I am planning on running my session at 96/32.  I will resample to 48/24 after post and give it to the video guy.

If I take LTC in from the time of day generator from video world, do I also need to take in his clock source?  All I really need is to be locked to his time code instead of what I normally internally generate.    Do I need his video positional reference as well?

Thanks

His clock will be trilevel sync, or maybe WC if he has a device that can make that from his sync signal.  But that WC will be 48k, not 96k.  Does your gear have a way of making that work?  It would be great to have everyone on the same clock, but that might not be possible w/o some extra peripherals.  Do you have the "X" card for your Big Ben?  If you are doing a music shoot then while it might not be ideal to not have clock shared between audio and picture, it is commonly done, and the sync fixes done in post.  TC would be a bonus.  More important than TC would be a ref mix shipped from you to as many of the cameras as possible--that will be how they sync sound and pix up later (and make sync corrections).

philp

Ha...Mike, when is the last time you worked with time code?  1998?  I mean, no offense, but haven't worked in how long?  And when you did it was definitely lower tier stuff?

The Senator worked with me on a timecode job on a (fairly reasonable-budget) infomercial about a year or so ago. He was also instrumental in solving some fairly serious production problems with the camera crew. I'd say he's extremely aware of timecode, and is also as much of a walking, living expert on RF transmissions as anybody I've ever met.

The Senator worked with me on a timecode job on a (fairly reasonable-budget) infomercial about a year or so ago. He was also instrumental in solving some fairly serious production problems with the camera crew. I'd say he's extremely aware of timecode, and is also as much of a walking, living expert on RF transmissions as anybody I've ever met.

Well said Marc!