Who is the king of the portable field recorders?

jdutaillis

" I'm well aware of the usual suspects (H4N, M10, etc.) "

you are in a different world if these are your usual suspects...

" It's not just about actual audible content above 20kHz, but also the computer needs to fill the blanks somehow. "

it is not at all about content above 20kHz (and there is no human audible content up there! and the mic's are about useless at those frequencies...)...it is only about filling in the blanks (between samples), particularly when slowing them down...

" I'm well aware of the usual suspects (H4N, M10, etc.) " you are in a different world if these are your usual suspects... " It's not just about actual audible content above 20kHz, but also the computer needs to fill the blanks somehow. " it is not at all about content above 20kHz (and there is no human audible content up there! and the mic's are about useless at those frequencies...)...it is only about filling in the blanks (between samples), particularly when slowing them down...
Yes, but you know, we were talking about pitch-shifting. So what was once inaudible (20kHz) now becomes audible (10kHz). So it does matter. I think the Sonosax is an excellent choice. But it's also very expensive. Then there's the Nagra, and then there is ... nothing. It's all a piece from the same heap of sh!t. Some better, some worse

" what was once inaudible (20kHz) now becomes audible (10kHz). So it does matter. "

well then you need extraordinary mic's and audio electronics, including pre's...

these are not inexpensive

actually, even at the higher sampling rates, typical A-D converters with their filters do not deal with audio frequencies above 20kHz...

add more "expensive"...

and you are looking for specialized stuff, as well...

I did a bit of research a while back, and the Olympus and Sony were top contenders.

I believe the OP wants a pocket recorder to just grab something he finds interesting while out and about.

The other choice might be the Rode mic thing for the iPhone. Anyone tried that out? And then you have a dual purpose recorder.

This is interesting:

"The PCM-D100 records two versions of all incoming signals: one at the level you set with the input gain controls and another identical version, 12dB quieter that is automatically crossfaded in if the main recording level clips. "

Sounds familiar...

This is interesting:

"The PCM-D100 records two versions of all incoming signals: one at the level you set with the input gain controls and another identical version, 12dB quieter that is automatically crossfaded in if the main recording level clips. "

Sounds familiar...

iirc sony were doing this on an earlier model, some years ago.

iirc sony were doing this on an earlier model, some years ago.

D50 did that too. To be honest, I can't see any useful extras features in the D100 over the D50 (192kHz, wireless remote), although the locking cover for the gain knob looks good.

The D1 was also very good, but expensive and I think it's also discontinued

Thanks for the explanation on why higher sampling rates might be of use even without ultrasonic stuff you might want to get to the human range of hearing by pitch shifting. A bit embarrassing since I should've been able to deduce this but didn't think enough!