Remote Roll for SD664

soundtrane

Back to the original question; the remote record function is something I had asked Jon about when I saw the first pre-production version. He said that they had initially planned to make the function available via their proprietary C.Link interface on an RJ-12 connector (same as the 7 series). This (presumedly) would have allowed for use of a remote keyboard and remote record via a CL-1 interface.

Sadly, the port got dumped in the final version (space concerns, I assume). It is, however, interesting to note that the CL-6 line-level input expander has a record button function, but it interfaces via the multi-pin header connector on the 664, and no doubt has some additional circuitry involved. I'm still holding out some hope, but I don't know where they could put a connector (I would have perhaps sacrificed one of the BNC connectors at the back, or the USB port, but I have no idea what other factors were involved).

--S

On another note: 

I interfaced the Cantar X2 with the 664 WClk out. Works perfectly. The Cantar recognises incoming Wclk through its Dsub15. Only thing is that the existing factory-built DSub15 to Lemo cable for the CantarEM needs a mod. I did a quick addition of a thin cable soldered in to the Wclk input on pin 4 and checked...

Therefore, it is possible to not  only jam TC (which is easy) with Cantar as Master and 664 accepting incoming TC, but also to get sample-accurate tracks between both recorders.

I'll be checking the tracks for sample accuracy on Protools soon. Will report back... 

-vin 

Vasileios: The 664 record and stop functions can be controlled by shortcuts CTRL+R and CTRL+S on a keyboard. The spacebar controls playback. Not very user friendly, but I guess avoids accidentally starting/stopping the recorder.

--S 

Of course it was a compliment!

:)

Back on topic. With the keyboard can rec/stop/play fuctions? Or it's only for notes, phrases etc?