Need to identify what model sennheiser this is

Larry Watts

I was about to buy sennheiser 416 mic when a friend told me he had one in pristine condition and would sell it to me. It arrived yesterday and when I unpacked it I saw that it was not the entire microphone. It looks like a modular mic that requires a capsule since it has no XLR input and about 2 inches inside the tube I can see metal connectors.

It is about 12" long and about the length of a 416 as I recall. It has the name sennheiser on it but no other name or number.

Could this be a 416 missing some electronics or is it the ME66 capsule system?

I just went to the sennheiser site and from the pattern of openings it cannot be a 416. It looks like the ME66 with out the base.

So my question is ---Can I buy the rest of the mic?

I doubt if it is as good as the mkh 416 but would it be worth it?

THanks

Ya, it sounds like the ME66, a mic that was inexplicably popular in the indie doc world maybe a dozen years ago. Some people still like it; I totally don't get that. But I know a couple people who confuse the ME66 with other Sennheiser mics. So maybe your friend made an honest mistake. But if it looks like the thing in NW's picture, you may not want it.

It looks like the ME66 with out the base.

Yes it seems you are right. Is this guy really your friend ?
ME66 does not sound as good as a 416. It was a usefull mic when there were no phantom input on cameras. Decades ago !

The ME88 with K3 was a much nicer sounding mic than the ME66 with K6.

Both are crappy really, in comparison to a 416 but the ME88 was nicer than ME66.

The K3 used a mercury battery IIRC. Can't remember the model number. The K6 uses a AA battery.

Cheers

Mega

I think you probably mean ME80 vs the 66. The ME88 is the long tube version (a really long mic).

I agree with you about the comparison.

BTW, there is a lithium replacement for the 6v. mercury battery that the ME80 uses (or you can employ four button cells). Of course it can use phantom power instead.

The ME80 is a good choice for low budget stuff but doesn't compare to the superior MKH series.

The picture that NWSound posted is definitely the mic I received. (With no other components)

FYI my friend is a naturalist, now almost blind, and thought he had a 416. He was just trying to help.

From the comments here, I don't want to spend any money  on a mic of this low quality. It's for sale!

I found a rode NTG-3 with blimp and pole and have heard this mic comes close to the MKH 416.

Thanks everyone for the help. It saved time and money.  Larry