WIRELESS SYSTEM LOWERING PERFORMANCE

cinetj

Hi,

I have noticed a lowering of performance of my two wireless systems during a recent shoot: 2 Lectro UCR 401 and two LMa transmitters, their reach was way lower than usual

I did a scan test - everything  was clear;

They were on the same group, therefore no intermodulation problems;

I never had any problems with rf spray from my recorder (a nomad 8).

The shooting was on the sea, it was hot and very umid. The peopel miked  were sweting a lot. Could the swet or the umidity and other climat conditions have affected the perfomance fo my two systems?

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you have two wireless Lectrosonics sets, UCR401 and LMa in the same block? That could be a problem if they are running on frequencies very close together, but likely it is the environment you are shooting in. Hot and Humid conditions where the cast is sweating, and working on a boat, could affect the performance of your gear. 

Some people here have mentioned getting less performance out of their wireless when working over water

+1. Try a Hush Lav foam pad on the end of the Tx antenna to keep it from coming into contact with sweaty skin... 

R

What is said about sweaty skin affecting the antenna is true...  I wonder if a Hush Lav (basically a foam sponge) is the best idea. I haven't tried it but it seems like it would soak up the sweat and expose the antenna to MORE sweat. Maybe not. If it just serves to keep the whole antenna away from the body/skin, that would be a good thing.

How close were you to the "talent"?

If 1 of the 2 transmitters were closer to the receivers, it may have caused the short range in the other unit.

Nope. Although i was sending audio to the camera using a senny g3 but i've been doing this for a while using the same frequencies i used the day of the boat. I also ran an intermod check with freq finder

How close were you to the "talent"?

If 1 of the 2 transmitters were closer to the receivers, it may have caused the short range in the other unit.

I didn't know that. Could you explain it?

I concur with the antenna in contact with the skin.. especially in sweaty conditions.

I don't put much faith in the G series 'scan' function, which only detects 'significant' RF.

The 401 receiver does not reject unwanted RF signals as efficiently as a receiver with a tracking front end, like a 411.

Try powering up one LMa and place it next to your receivers. You should see full signal on the receiver that is tuned to that LMa. You should see partial signal on the other receiver. That partial signal will cause significant interference in your other receiver. Fire up the other LMa and do a walk test, see how far you can get before you lose the signal.

I didn't know that. Could you explain it?