Helical Antenna

Jack Norflus

I have sold two of the RFVenue Helical antennas.  Excellent for storage, they collapse down into a 2ru space, and they definitely enhance reception.  The only thing I didn't like about them, was the mounting point, and I have spoken to the gentleman at RFVenue about this.  These were originally designed to be mounted on something like a microphone stand.  

My customer has a K-Tek "Shark" bar, and I had to find an 18" threaded bar to be able to mount them, onto the nicely made K-Tek mounts.  The mounting point is high up on the "back" of the antenna, and you need to have some type of "rod" that has a 3/8" thread on it.

He only breaks them out for challenging "long distance" needs, and he says they definitely enhance the reception.  The fixed ones, as in the photo above, are difficult to store, offer similar performance, but also must be "maintained," another customer has already had his "recoiled."  Whereas the RFVenue helicals, are one large spring, and easy to store.  

Another great product from the folks at RFVenue, is their Shark fin diversity antenna, it consists of a Shark fin and a dipole antenna, all in one.  Nice for diversity antenna for the bag, or nice for the cart mixer.

Any antenna beyond the "whips" enhances your signal, make sure you use the proper cable and don't exceed 50' of cable run, for best results.

Mine was and is still new....  and, only break it out on long runs... but in MY testing, did not perform any better or not in a way I could notice than my 620 Sharkfins..

Don't know about maintaining, but just don't harm it...  it seems durable, but you don't want to throw it in the back of a truck...

Hi Jack,

We have tested the RF Venue CP Beams against a pool of antennas, including the PWS8089 variants, paddles from Shure, Audio Technica, Lectrosonics, RF Venue's own Diversity Fin, 1/2 wave dipoles, and stock.  All on Lectrosonics Venue mainframe, same block, various Tx (LMa, UM400a, SMa, SMQV).  Lots full of cars, ie. 400-size, and clear open fields going up to 0.8-1.2 miles.

When we started carrying and deploying the RF Venue Diversity Fins roughly 2.5 years ago, we weren't exactly sure where this would sit in our usage.  Now, a full 2 years into using the Diversity Fins in and out every week, it's become our go-to antenna for all types of events.

The CP Beams have been with us for half a year already, and I can recommend this over any competitor due to it's features.  The highest priority on our list was being compact and easily deployed.  We can fit 3x CP Beams into the same case that one of our 8089s use to fit.  That tells you a lot about how small it can pack.  When we were at Stanford's football field trying out the CP Beams splayed at 90-degree, coverage needed from one end to the other end was more than adequate.  Though, the 8089s were just as effective. but we needed to roll out two ATA cases rather than one.  If we had a 3rd set up in a trapezoidal config, it would cover most of our needs, and all this packed into 1 case rather than 3.  That saves a lot of time by 3-fold.  Either have 3 guys rolling a case each, or make 3 separate trips.

Hope this helps.

A.

We ran some tests on high gain antennas and published the results in the 695 Quarterly. The complete series ran in several issues but the most relevant to this discussion was the Fall 2010 issue. Back issues can be downloaded here:

http://695quarterly.com/previous-issues/

The Spring 2010 issue discussed how the various tests would be conducted.

And the Winter 2011 issue addressed some of the questions and challenges we received.

David

I was thinking about picking one of the CP Beams up myself for better long-range zaxnet coverage.  I've been looking for a while at different antennas and this one seems to fit the need nicely.

The CP Beam only covers 470-690 MHz + 950 MHz.  Zaxnet is running on 2.4 GHz.  The L-Com amplifiers are the way to go if you want to increase your zaxnet range.

If you do another one maybe you could test against a random cut of wire 1 to 3 meters long for an antenna.

I think the results would be very interesting.

We didn't do that exactly. But, in the first round of testing, when we defined the testing procedure, we ran some tests with a half-length whip antenna on the transmitter. Range with the shorter antenna was reduced but still respectable. We achieved about 50% or 60% of the range available with the proper, matched antenna.

I expect that results with unmatched receiving antennas are likely to be similar. But I"ll let you run those tests and report back to the group.

You'll find that data in the Spring 2010 issue.

David

I have been using the helical for over a year and would recommend it. I use it on a light stand riser on my cart, along with shark fin on a light weight light stand which I always extend out as close to the action as possible. I also use the low loss antenna cable from Lectro that my guys always complain about not being flexible enough for easy coiling. What I like about the helical is that if there is simultaneous action going on near or even behind me as well a wide or master further out in front of me the helical does a good job of pulling in signal from all directions. 

Hi 480,

"I also use the low loss antenna cable from Lectro that my guys always complain about not being flexible enough for easy coiling."

Interestingly, the Lectro cable type is 9913F where the F stands for flexible. Maybe if you show them the F, it will make it easier to coil.

Best,
Larry F
Lectro

Hello All,

In April 2013 (on a hunch) I purchased a CP Antenna from Kaltman Creations of Suwanee, Georgia. Their claim was that their antenna incorporated 'Circular Polarization' technology that was guaranteed to reduce drop-outs and those little "swishing" artifacts that we all hate.  

GUARANTEED?"... what did I have to lose... right?

My CP antenna arrived from Kaltman Creations the day before the annual C.A.S. 'Parade of Sound Carts' that was held at the Local 80 Sound Stage in Burbank, CA. At the cart seminar, I proudly displayed my new antenna with my cart but, but couldn't speak to whether the antenna worked or not because I had just opened the package 24 hours earlier. Now, seven months later I believe I can honestly contribute to this conversation about the CP antenna.

I will preface my contribution by stating that I have NO real scientific measurements to base my opinion on... only anecdotal comments from practical applications.

I work in the commercial world where wireless is mandatory and frequencies are at a premium. Like you, I don't have the luxury for sound department delays and defiantly don't have time to be futzing with wireless problems all day long. My wireless system has to work in ALL conditions... period!

The wireless setup I use is of high quality but, somewhat typical by today's standards. I use the LectroSonics Venue system with SMa transmitters. Before buying my CP antenna, I employed two Lectro shark-fins (1) APL500 & (1) APL650 with the onboard amplifier for long cable runs. On "good" wireless days the shark-fin antennas would be mounted on my antenna boom and hoisted high into the air with no problems, but on "bad" wireless days (where I experienced drop-outs etc) I would run the powered APL650 shark-fin deep into the set with a long 50ohm cable and would power the onboard antenna amp from my Venue. If my department was given ample time to run the additional cable this worked pretty good but, as Murphy's Law would have it, the "bad" wireless days would always show up at the last minute or while I was rolling sound. Not good.

Enter the CP antenna from Kaltman Creations. After installing my new CP antenna I began to noticed a difference. The swishy artifacts never seemed to appear and the antenna strength... although a bit low... never had drop-outs. How could this new CP antenna fix these two dreaded problems on such short notice? I had no idea. For five months I used the CP antenna along side an Lectro shark-fin with great success. One day the CP antenna spud mount broke while unloading my equipment. I had no choice but to go back to the older setup with the two shark-fins. Almost immediately I noticed a difference. The dreaded noise artifacts and drop-outs started to re-appear. It wasn't until I fixed the mount (five jobs later) that I could go back to the CP/shark-fin setup. Now, five more jobs later... no dreaded artifacts or drop-outs. NONE!

So, what gives? Does the CP antenna from Kaltman Creations really work or is this just an "artifact" of MY imagination?

psst...it's guaranteed to work.

http://www.kaltmancreationsllc.com/rf-test-equipment-html/invisiblewaves-html/cpa-antenna-html/