Voltage on StarQuad Cable

Joshua Anderson

Hey all,

I want to send 5 volts continuously down the "positive" leg of a Canare Star Quad cable. I'm assuming that is completely fine as Phantom power would be sending 12-48 volts. Phantom Power sends a continuous charge at a higher voltage than I'm looking to do, so I should be fine...?

Maybe the info is in front of my face when I check out the Canare Star Quad specs:

http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=53

But all I see is that Star Quad has a max voltage of 500V AC and at only 1 minute. I want to continuously send 5 Volts of DC. 

This is for a remote control, but I would like to use Star Quad cables so I don't need a dedicated cable for this application.

Any advice on max voltage on Canare Star Quad is appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

"Charge" is probably not the correct term. 

And here's where I'm guessing...I think the device compares the differences in voltages between a constant 5 volts on one leg and a variable voltage between 0 and 5 volts on the other to determine control "remotely." I don't have watt or amperage numbers, nor am I sure where they fit into the device's requirements for a remote control, as it is not in the manual.

" you'll be fine sending 5V DC at up to a couple of amps. "

that would have a bit of a drop in E...

could get pretty warm...

(ever see auto battery jumper cables for 12VDC ?)

Yes Mike, I have. Those cables are for carrying (up to) 100's of amps.

I have also seen an Apple iPad charger cable that carries 5V @ 2amps. Yes, it's short, but it's very thin cable that doesn't get hot.

Considering OP is making a remote control cable (which means it's most likely less than 6 feet) and that also probably means it's GPIO (which is low current 5V) I stand by my post.