Listen Tech LT-700-216 Portable Display RF Transmitter (216 MHz)

aginzo

I have a question to pose to anyone who has experience with Listen Tech assistive listening equipment particularly the  LT-700-216 Portable Display RF Transmitter (216 MHz). I own this transmitter and a couple of 400 (216 mhz) receivers and found them to be a bit on the low end sounding and sometimes a muffling sound to them. Now, I know these are not as comparable to Comteks or Lectro IFB's but I was wondering if maybe there is something I can do to enhance the quality a bit or maybe I am connecting this wrong. I've tried a few ways to do this. I currently own a Zaxcom Nomad and sometimes I output via the tape, mono, or even the HP2 output off of the recorder. The unit supposedly allows a line or mic level and I adjust accordingly depending on the output used. On top of the LT700 unit it says "mic" on the input. I use a standard 3.5mm cable male to male. Now, I wonder if maybe the cable could be an issue but I've tried other 3.5 cables and still the same sound. Listen Tech suggests using their  LA-263 Line/Microphone “Y” Cable but it just seems like a standard cable Y mini to RCA and mini female which really wouldn't work for me. It's not like the jobs I do currently they complain but I listen to it and I'm not 100% happy. It's not complete trash but I'd like to know if maybe I need to get a better cable. Yes, I know I probably should invest in whole other system but that's gonna have to wait since I already made a major purchase with a new recorder, bag, mics and some wireless.  A new Comtek systems (216 mhz) is around $1000 and yes used are cheaper. I'd really just like a suggestion or 2 one just enhancing a tad this system until I can get some dough to by a Comtek or IFB system. 

I know you will have or need more questions since I am sure this post is not enough info.

​Thank you regardless JWSOUNDERS. :)

" found them to be a bit on the low end sounding and sometimes a muffling sound to them. "

they were cheaper..?

" I listen to it and I'm not 100% happy. "

" A new Comtek systems (216 mhz) is around $1000 and yes used are cheaper. "

the rule: Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

and what does Robert Sharman say..? 'Buy once, cry once' ??

" or is this a crock? "

not a crock.

SESCOM stuff is good stuff...

but you already have a mic/line switch capability, right?  That is what the SESCOM does...

" Listen Tech suggests using their  LA-263 Line/Microphone “Y” Cable but... "

...you know better...?

" found them to be a bit on the low end sounding and sometimes a muffling sound to them. "

they were cheaper..?

" I listen to it and I'm not 100% happy. "

" A new Comtek systems (216 mhz) is around $1000 and yes used are cheaper. "

the rule: Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

and what does Robert Sharman say..? 'Buy once, cry once' ??

" or is this a crock? "

not a crock.

but you already have a mic/line switch capability, right?  That is what the SESCOM does...

" Listen Tech suggests using their  LA-263 Line/Microphone “Y” Cable but... "

...you know better...?

"they were cheaper..?"

Yes these were cheaper but that's not what I am referring to. Low end sounding meaning lots of low end. Not high not mid. 

"the rule: Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

and what does Robert Sharman say..? 'Buy once, cry once' ??"

Thanks. Yeah I know and I got it. Believe it or not I knew that going in. I also knew there would be a chance I'd get that comment on here so I was waiting for that. Yes, you do get what you paid for and I'm not regretting the purchase. They'll serve there purpose for the time being and I don't get the highest end of work to justify taking out a large loan so I can get the most pristine set of wireless. Bills up the ying yang and 2 babies at home needing daycare keep that from happening. Ideally I would have bought all Zaxcom wireless for everything so I could have complete control at the Nomad. Baby steps, man, baby steps. Believe it or not I have been in this business for 18 years and I currently teach at a film school full time. It's now in my life I was able to make the plunge. Just not that big a plunge. Just wanted to get some insight on how to improve the units I have, if there is a way. Like I said in the post I can't buy more stuff now because I reached my budget. I bought those for price point. I will buy upgrades as I get more work and save more cash. I mean no disrespect.

"not a crock.

but you already have a mic/line switch capability, right?  That is what the SESCOM does…"

The transmitter does not have a mic/line switch. The Nomad outputs have level control but not a mic/line switch per say. They do on the input side. The LT700 has an adjustable microphone sensitivity switch and I believe it's a low/mid/high. It's set to the lowest I believe because of the line level output from the Nomad.

The LT700 has an adjustable microphone sensitivity switch and I believe it's a low/mid/high. It's set to the lowest I believe because of the line level output from the Nomad.

Get an XLR attenuation pad and knock the level down 10dB and see if that changes the sound any:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68600-REG/Shure_A15AS_A15AS_In_Line_Attenuator.html

On the ListenTech LT-700 transmitter, the line level input (-10dB)  is on the 'Ring'  terminal of the 1/8" input connection. (like the G2/3)  I don't know if the tip 'should' be grounded, but it works either way.  I've never noticed a serious lack of hi-end.. in fact they sound very good IMO, and normal stereo HPs can be used w/o mono to stereo adapters or plugs

They will work with 216MHz Comteks,  just not very well. .. and they're certainly not as robust, but you gets what you pay for.

IMO, Sescom always made good quality useful products.. before and after Tower Product's (Markertek) acquisition after Frank Miller's passing

I am going to buy the LA-263 Line/Mic Y Input Cable o see if it helps. It's only $9. I'm not done though so I'll most likely try some of the ideas put on here and would still love some other ideas. Thank you so much everyone for the advice. I know JWSOUND-ERS would help a brother out.  8)  ;D  ::)