Working in Extreme cold

BWilson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! I know this is too late but here's a bit of what i did during a month trip in january 2013 accross Russia and Siberia (coldest was -30°c with wind on Lake Baikal i think).

CLOTHES:

I think its actually the most important. You need multiple layers, no coton as it keeps the humidity of the sweat.

Especially for feet, hands and head. Those are the most exposed. Multiple layers there again and get one size or two above your size for your boots: you're going to need space for those socks!

Little tip: have hand warmers and feet warmers in your gloves and socks BEFORE you go out and think "damn my hands are cold, i'm going to use those warmers". Because they take time to warm up and usually, when you're cold, it's too late.

My ears were usually covered with my mask and the headphones: it was fine.

GEAR:

- Battery will go down faster than usual. But it's still okay. Better to use rechargeable than alkaline for sure.

- Cables will freeze. But as long as you don't bend to break them it's fine. If you have the budget, best is to get thicker and made-for-cold cables.

- Crystal liquid screens will freeze too. (the one on cheap recorders such as zoom-h4n, Tascam HD-P2) So if you have a mixer with leds it makes it much easier in these rough conditions (sound device 302).

- Since you're using a 422 i'm sure you didn't have problem: i know the 788t creates a lot of heat, therefor keeping the crystals of the screen unfrozen.

- Sennheiser mics work fine in such harsh conditions (416, m60).

- Didn't have an issue with wireless mics either BUT the gaffer tape and "glue" tend to not stick as much in the cold.

- I was using an external cable on my boom. (actually, i always do). I think it was better this way.

- The boom freezes your hand REALLY fast when you start lifting those arms and spreading your fingers to the cold air. Make sure you have mittens, undergloves and hand warmers.

- COMING BACK INSIDE: very important. Best is to put any fragile equipment (recorder, mics) that has metal in a ziplock with some silica gel pouches when you are still OUTSIDE. Close it with as little air as you can. You can even put the whole in another ziplock that will work like an airlock. INSIDE let it rest for like 15 minutes or more. The silica gel will absorb the humidity avoiding it to condensate on cold metal (such as the components inside your mic/recorder).

> I could go into thermodynamic details if you're interested.

Here's a pic of me last year. i probably have a making of video somewhere if you're interested. If anything else pops to my mind i'll be back!

602889_10151379638812485_658695185_n.jpg