Standard Operating Procedure...

Jan McL

It's come to my attention that those who come to narrative work from other specialties are unaware of some basic set protocol.

Thought it might prove interesting to share our collected wisdom in that regard.

Cables are run safely, along walls, behind gear; flat, no clotheslines; cross walkways with other cable runs when possible/practical at a 90-degree angle. The "whether to tape or carpet cable runs" discussion will be conducted in due course I feel sure :)

Do not place your gear in such a manner that it will block access to somebody else's gear.

If you open a case and have to walk away from that case, lock the lid first.

Borrow something? At end of use, return that first. Always. Without fail. And make sure they know it's been returned.

Be actively cognizant of where your sandbox ends and others' sandboxes begin.

Safety your cables.

Never stand in the doorway.

What else?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An addition to that box thing; if you leave the box, either leave it open or lock the box. Never just close the lid and not lock it. Seen optics being spread out over a concrete floor once... Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn, then always be a unicorn. Jokes aside, nothing to add really... Oh yeah! Turn your cell phone off, or at least both sound and vibration. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

It's come to my attention that those who come to narrative work from other specialties are unaware of some basic set protocol.

Thought it might prove interesting to share our collected wisdom in that regard.

Cables are run safely, along walls, behind gear; flat, no clotheslines; cross walkways with other cable runs when possible/practical at a 90-degree angle. The "whether to tape or carpet cable runs" discussion will be conducted in due course I feel sure :)

Do not place your gear in such a manner that it will block access to somebody else's gear.

If you open a case and have to walk away from that case, lock the lid first.

Borrow something? At end of use, return that first. Always. Without fail. And make sure they know it's been returned.

Be actively cognizant of where your sandbox ends and others' sandboxes begin.

Safety your cables.

Never stand in the doorway.

What else?

Jan,

I'm sure this thread will grow exponentially as members here read it... I just wanted to say thanks for starting it, and a huge thanks for mentioning the proper deployment of cable -- whether it's a video feed, a stinger, a 12-ch snake -- I can't recall how many times I've seen folks (including AC's, PA's, and even electricians) either spiraling a cable across the set like a slinky, or throwing a wrapped cable down, connecting one end of it, grabbing the other end and just pulling it across the entire set, only to return to find they just about pulled over a monitor set, or left a 3-foot long tripper right next to the busiest lane of traffic to and from the set.

If I were only able to impart one piece of advice to a green-gill, it would be how to lay down and pick up a cable.

Thanks for starting this thread -- looking forward to the many answers it generates : )

~tt

Hey Jan--did you have an "incident", that brought this all to mind?  That's a great list, and since our biz seems to have higher turnover than ever these days so it's very worth repeating.  I think you are being modest in your way about your list mostly applying to narrative work--it really applies to any sort of shoot, workplace, construction site, military operation, picnic, marriage, friendship and so on.

philp

Just finished week one of seven booming  a show and it has been a while since I last did any drama. The last two years prior to this show I have been working OMB in mainly doco. 

On more than one occasion I have had to stop myself from jumping in and 'helping' another department. I have become unaccustomed to having other departments around such as costume and It has taken me the better part of the week to switch my way of thinking around to drama mode.

These are pretty obvious, but somehow I keep seeing this kind of thing happen....

Ask permission before setting anything down on someones cart/ table / space. More than once  after running out for a quick pickup or car shot, i come back to my cart to set down my  ENG rig and had to move someones stuff that they had just decided to leave there. (Once it was even a producers paperwork file!). If I catch them I usually politely tell them that if happens again and it's something I don't want then I'll just throw it away and if it's something cool and expensive like an iPad (Yes someone did leave one on my cart once) I'll consider it as a gift to me.

Also ask before using something that not owned by you- On a recent feature I came back from crafty and caught a noobie art P.A. helping himself to yards of camera tape from my sound cart. I was cordial and politely explained that that kind of behavior is not cool.

Don't run.

There's nothing wrong with having a sense of urgency about you, and walking briskly, but don't run on set. It's dangerous for you and others around you.

In the vein of what has been written, always leave a few feet of cable at each end of a run. If a cable is JUST long enough, you need a longer cable. Gear sometimes needs to move, so there should always a bit of room to move at each end of the cable. It also help that if someone does happen to trip on it, it won't usually destroy whatever it's attached to.

And a collection of thoughts from many people and sources that go back too far to remember....... I like to give credit to the original thinkers, but alas.......

If you are not 15 minutes early for your call time, you are late

A good day begins with good directions

Value on a shoot is not determined by how much something or someone costs, It is determined by how much its absence would have cost.

Learn all the specialized words, jargon and nicknames of production.

Don’t keep secrets from the Production Manager.

Save gossip until after the wrap and you’ve left the location.

Never discuss problems with the client, but don’t let them feel excluded.  If a problem exists neither the client nor the director should be aware of it.  It is the Production Manager’s job to tell them.

A “No” answer is equally as good as a “Yes”,  If it’s true.

Never talk out of your department, but feel free to help other departments.

If you need help, Get help

Don’t stand in the doorway.

Don’t talk around the monitors.

Pay Attention.  All your cues are in the energy of the set.

Never cheat on your petty cash.  Cheating is a fast way to end a career.

Be worth your rate and charge what you are worth.

Use 2 battery wakeup devices.  You will sleep better.

Be civil to grip and lighting and teamsters…… they are barbaric bruisers that can be of great help to you or cause you much grief.

Learn everyone’s name the first time you hear it. It makes a big difference.

Never roll your eyes when the talent makes a mistake.

Never run.  Never move faster than you can think.

Never close an equipment case lid without securing at least one latch.

Always have a Plan. Always have a Plan "B". Assume neither will work.

Integrity is precious.. be as honorable as possible

Crew Harmony is the key to a successful production.  Nobody’s individual expertise will make a production…. It is how we work together.

Be hospitable to onlookers,  good public relations for our industry is everybody’s job.  We often appear to be a haughty bunch and need to be welcomed in neighborhoods………. Be civil.

Never assume:

That you are over-qualified.

That you are not replaceable.

That you don't need to understand a part of the process.

That the old timers have been doing it wrong for years.

That your lack of experience will go unnoticed on the set.

Never Assume

" If you are not 15 minutes early for your call time, you are late "

from your lips, to my students' ears...

among others, we could have a thread or two about this one:

" Be worth your rate and charge what you are worth. "

let me just say that the equipment one has does not make them worth their rate...

" On a recent feature "

Oh, WOW!!!

yes, especially on "features"...

Come on Senator, really?

Many of us here know this is a bit of a sore spot for you, but the implied meaning was obvious -- can't we all just assume that when someone says "feature" that they mean "feature-length"... and that they're not necessarily implying the project has any more clout or merit than it does?

Similarly, though it bugs some of us to no end when we're referred to as the "audio" department, in the name of diplomacy and good will, could we just bite our tongues once in a while and just let it go?

Anyhow...

Speaking of diplomacy, in response to folks setting stuff on our carts -- this should be a no-brainer, but it seems to happen all the time. Let me just say the importance of diplomacy in these matters should not be underestimated. I'll leave it at that ;)

~tt

If you made a mistake that concerns other departments, admit it.

Think twice before making a request to another department, so when questioned, you can avoid long discussions. Say what you need, be frank and brief. People will appreciate that you try not to slow things down.

Keep your ego in check.

No open drinks. If someone comes towards you carrying something heavy, get out of the way, even if it means going up a flight of stairs you just came down from.
+1 Almost had a disaster yesterday due to an open cup of coffee set three feet above my bag on a ledge. Wind blew the coffee cup over, and I'm thankful that the wind was strong enough to blow the cup out of the way about a foot from my bag. Got only minor coffee on my kit. It was easily cleanable but it pissed me off. How can anyone working anywhere on a film set not understand the importance of secure and closed drink containers NOT set above equipment? And in addition, the casual nature of people in a hurry but carrying open coffee cups on set baffles me. Can't they see the gear we have in all departments? If I had my way, there would be zero non-screw top containers allowed on any set ever, and open drinks would be thrown away. On a side note regarding my own awareness, I'll be taking better precautions against liquids in the future. Multiple easy ways to avoid this type of thing.

If I had my way, there would be zero non-screw top containers allowed on any set ever, and open drinks would be thrown away. On a side note regarding my own awareness, I'll be taking better precautions against liquids in the future. Multiple easy ways to avoid this type of thing.

Amen to that. I always only have bottles with capped lids, and in fact carry a couple of flip-top caps for water bottles at all times. And this counts for post, too -- I've seen some pretty awful "Pepsi Syndrome" situations with coffee and soft drinks tipped over into mixing panels, video switchers, and editing consoles.