CF Card option for Deva hard drive

Glen Trew

The PATA drives that this industry's nonlinear recorder began with (Deva, and the rest) are obsolete and are now difficult to find at attractive prices. Some recorders have adapted to the more current technology of SATA drive, but the Devas were developed to early to adapt. While cleaning out my office I came across a box of PATA to CF Card adapters that I tested with the Deva recorders a while back. They have always worked fine for me with any CF card over 5gb. Several customers have also used them. I started the project a few years ago for extreme cold environments (no moving parts to freeze in CF cards). But now it makes sense to have a couple of these adapters to possibly extend the life of your recorder and keep as an option for backup media that you can buy nearly anywhere that sells AA batteries. The adapter can be used in the Zaxcom drive box or in the handy Remote Audio drive board. I have 12 left, and they've all been tested with a Deva. $15 each should cover it. Contact me directly if you'd like one or two. Let's see if I can get these pics posted from my phone.

post-124-0-52267900-1384043777_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-89201500-1384043787_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-17056300-1384043828_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-18740200-1384043839_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-75363200-1384043874_thumb.jpg

As mentioned in other threads, I've used CF cards for the main drive in my Deva V for quite some time with great success -- approaching  two years now.

They can be used with either an original Deva carrier or with the Remote Audio Drive Mounter System.  I prefer using the RADMS because the architecture makes swapping cards quick and easy.  The CF to IDE (PATA) adapter I use has the form factor of a hard drive and can be attached via screws exactly the same way as a hard drive. 

post-18-0-54473000-1384046579_thumb.jpg

I've also tried adapters similar to the ones that Glen shows above and they work fine, but it might be a good idea to see if there is an easy way to fasten them to the Drive Mounter board so that over time, vibrating loose isn't an issue.  It probably wouldn't be, but I'd feel more confident knowing that it's secure.  The CF card will stay in firmly, so I don't see any pending issues there.

I typically use a Transcend 64gb card as the Deva's main drive so that's sufficient space for over twelve hours of recording a full ten tracks (48kHz, 24bits).  When recording fewer tracks, it would, obviously, give you proportionately more time.

Swapping a card is quick and easy -- especially if you've pre-formatted the new card as a Deva Main Drive.  You have the added advantage that the card can be swapped into a Nomad for an easy way to go more portable for situations such as insert car work, etc.  You can just log onto the same folder and continue recording into the same job -- right from where you left off -- really slick.  Likewise, with a Fusion.

As mentioned in other threads, I've used CF cards for the main drive in my Deva V for quite some time with great success -- approaching  two years now.

They can be used with either an original Deva carrier or with the Remote Audio Drive Mounter System.  I prefer using the RADMS because the architecture makes swapping cards quick and easy.  The CF to IDE (PATA) adapter I use has the form factor of a hard drive and can be attached via screws exactly the same way as a hard drive. 

attachicon.gifCFtoIDE.jpg

I've also tried adapters similar to the ones that Glen shows above and they work fine, but it might be a good idea to see if there is an easy way to fasten them to the Drive Mounter board so that over time, vibrating loose isn't an issue.  It probably wouldn't be, but I'd feel more confident knowing that it's secure.  The CF card will stay in firmly, so I don't see any pending issues there.

I typically use a Transcend 64gb card as the Deva's main drive so that's sufficient space for over twelve hours of recording a full ten tracks (48kHz, 24bits).  When recording fewer tracks, it would, obviously, give you proportionately more time.

Swapping a card is quick and easy -- especially if you've pre-formatted the new card as a Deva Main Drive.  You have the added advantage that the card can be swapped into a Nomad for an easy way to go more portable for situations such as insert car work, etc.  You can just log onto the same folder and continue recording into the same job -- right from where you left off -- really slick.  Likewise, with a Fusion.

I really, really like this approach --- I wish I had done the same as you for my Devas which would have greatly simplified using 2 different recorders, having one set up for mobile work, etc. Thank you, John, for reminding us of your successful use of CF and the way you have set it all up with the CF card adapter.

Could this also be used in an Alesis HD24 or any other application that requires PATA? Or is it Zaxcom specific?

Reason I ask is I have a great 24 channel hard drive recorder (for studio) that uses PATA drives. I still have a couple drives that spin up but was looking for something exactly like this.

I also have a few older Mac G4 systems that run PATA drives. It would be nice to boot from a CF card...

You can put me down for 1 if they will work for my application, Thanks!

Well, unless Glen volunteers to come to your house and test it for you, you would need to be the one to try it out. I found this to be a viable Deva alternative by buying an adapter and trying it. I didn't consider twelve bucks and a compact flash card to be an outlandish expense.

I'm guessing Glen may be too busy for such silliness, but then... Tennessee is the volunteer state.

Jeff,

I think I posted a link to the one below in a previous thread.  I got mine off eBay three or four years ago, but this appears to be the same thing, available on Amazon for $12.99:

http://tinyurl.com/mhxb33c

They will take two CF cards, in an ide master and slave configuration, but I've never used two in the Deva.

OK... so far I've got:

Tommy Williams - 1

Crew - 2

Mike Filosa - 2

Moe Chamberlain - 2
(and another for 2 via email)

I'll turn these over to the Trew Audio Nashville sales department.

I have 3 more for whoever wants them.

I was trying to stay on the safe side of the non-commercial use of this forum (and still am), and the offer was really just a way to keep these cool parts out of the dumpster (a fate that pains me when it often does happen). But it will be a lot easier and more reliable to run them through the Trew Audio store in Nashville. So for anyone else wanting these cards, please call sales at 800-241-8994 or 615-256-3542.

The only advantage I know of these compared to any others is that they have all been tested with a Deva (5 & 5.8).

Best,

Glen Trew

attachicon.gifCFtoIDE.jpg

Very nice John. I had not seen this piece before, and it had not occurred to me that the CF card could be interchangeable between the Deva and Fusion, which also makes it interchangeable with the Nomad MARF card, too. But for a quick change, it would be a must to use the Remote Audio drive mounter system. With that I'll say that the RADMS (thanks for the acronym, John) has been extremely reliable from its beginning around 2003, until a couple of year ago when there were few boards sold with a flawed design, which has since been corrected. The good boards are clearly marked with either the date "2003" or with no date at all (those with no date were made in 2012). Those marked with the date 2011 should be returned for exchange. With the move to SATA drives and CF cards, Deva users have still use the Zaxcom drive box may want to switch to the RADMS.

Glen Trew

I wouldn't call the RADMS a "must," but in my case, it certainly makes swapping drives quicker and easier.

I have limited space to the left of my Deva and would need to pull the machine each time I swapped cards if I used one of my original caddies, but I have just enough room to be able to retrieve the RA carrier without any problem. The RADMS has an extraction lever that also helps in this regard.

If you wish to use an original Zaxcom carrier, that works also. In this application it would probably make sense to leave the top off for easier access to the CF card. I don't have any long term use to report on when using the Zaxcom carrier, but doubt there would be any issues. The adapter and card would nestle in the foam just like a hard drive does.

That said, the RADMS does rock in this application -- especially in combination with the CF to IDE adapter that has the same form factor as a hard drive.

• 9 years later...

reviving an old thread! I'm still running the mighty Deva 16, have a few pata drives for it but I'm on the hunt for a CF adapter to run it on CF cards. Any leads out there to chase one or two of them down would be much appreciated. Will pay good $ for them.

Cheers and hope all well out there, 

Chris. 

• 2 months later...