shredded fingers - bag work

hobbiesodd

This may only be my problem, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway...

Due to the rough fibers and numerous tight pockets, I find that my fingers often get shredded reaching in and out of my bag on a daily basis. Sometimes it starts as a minor cuticle rub, and then by week 2 of a long shoot they are scraped and bleeding.  By week 3 it's: scrape, wince, repeat. Scrape, wince, repeat...

I've a very healthy guy. I eat well / take vitamins / exercise. So I'm not looking for nutritional advice, per sé, but I'm wondering how others combat this frustrating issue. With the cold weather drawing near, I see a bitter winter approaching for my digits.

I've tried Aquafor and other topical medicines, but that's after the fact and would prefer something preventative. I'd rather not wear tape/bandages over my tips, as that can easily turn off whomever I am mic'ing.  

Cheers,

Evan

post-4040-0-67563800-1384121659_thumb.jp

This may only be my problem, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway...

Due to the rough fibers and numerous tight pockets, I find that my fingers often get shredded reaching in and out of my bag on a daily basis. Sometimes it starts as a minor cuticle rub, and then by week 2 of a long shoot they are scraped and bleeding.  By week 3 it's: scrape, wince, repeat. Scrape, wince, repeat...

I've a very healthy guy. I eat well / take vitamins / exercise. So I'm not looking for nutritional advice, per sé, but I'm wondering how others combat this frustrating issue. With the cold weather drawing near, I see a bitter winter approaching for my digits.

I've tried Aquafor and other topical medicines, but that's after the fact and would prefer something preventative. I'd rather not wear tape/bandages over my tips, as that can easily turn off whomever I am mic'ing.  

Cheers,

Evan

i get the same thing. velco, heavy duty seams and pockets are what does it to me.

prevention:

thin work gloves (very cheap).

less stuff into those places to be retrieved.

8 hour cream to keep cuticles soft.

after the damage:

8 cream to help skin repair.

small amounts of tape across finger nails to hold fingers together. 

i reckon moleskin or even chamois leather stuck or stitched into the right places would really help. 

dan.

I found that this was a big problem with Porta-Brace bags, which use a lot of Velcro, but has been less of an issue since switching to Kortwich bags, which only use soft-side Velcro for the internal surfaces. But winter is coming, and I know these hands of mine are gonna get abused sooner then later.

E.