664 on a low budget feature

mikewest

Just finished / survived two weeks of late shoots then two weeks of nite shoots.

A 20 day feature, pretty grungy but very New Zealand!!

2 x handheld Canon 5D cameras minimal lighting and very cramped locations.

The 664 was a brilliant choice for such a fast shoot not requiring a cart etc.

Much recording mixed to LR tracks with occasional ISO usage

The 3 firmware updates during the shoot have transformed this recorder to being

such a fast, friendly device with great metering stunning limiters and superb recording.

My thanks to Paul Isaacs for dealing with my comments and providing great support.

Long live the 664!

mike

Stupid question:

I haven't installed the update yet, but reading the info online it sounds like you can now record 12 iso tracks. Is that correct?

TIA,

BK

Yes, the direct outs can become line inputs 7-12 (as w/ CL6) but the new firmware gives you control over those inputs without the CL6 being attached.

philp

I used one for the first time last week on a documentary and a commercial and I do agree in terms of ergonomics. It is so logically laid out I was comfortable using it after about 5 minutes. I was also amazed at how little power it used I only got to about 60% on an 89w battery with 3 receivers and 1 p48 mic on a 10 hr day with a lot of filming. The card format time was super quick also. The only caveat I have which is a big one for me - I really don't like the mic amp sound. I compared some of the rushes to my normal Sonosax set up and the Sonosax won hands down. It was enough for me to stuff my Sonosax mixer in the bag with the 664 for the 1 day on a commercial. I'm not saying the sound devices sounds bad it's just the Sonosax sounds so much better. I'm gonna lobby sound devices to make a line input baggable mini 664 recorder so I can have the best of both worlds ( I have been doing this with other manufacturers). I'm not saying this as a defacto statement it's just my opinion using my ears and brain.

Ok Dolo to me the 664 sounds incredible: I'm doing a drama policeshow as a 'one man band', meaning me booming and having 4 TX (Lectro's) on track 2-5 that I cannot really control...no distortion at all ( had a lot of whispering to shouting scenes..)Normally I shoot with my Sonosax SX-ST8 (to an SD 744) and I hear a difference only that the 664 transformers are slightly warmer.Warmer is taste.

Not better,in my opinion.But Sonosax tranformers are also taste..Layout/routing on a Sonosax SX-ST8 however is outstandig and beyond compare.

David C (Sonosax SX-PR 4,BD-1,SX-ST 8 Owner/user)

Yes, the direct outs can become line inputs 7-12 (as w/ CL6) but the new firmware gives you control over those inputs without the CL6 being attached.

philp

So, it _doesn't_ record 12 ISO channels, correct?

I mean, I get that it replaces the CL6, but I still only have 6 ISO channels - that was my main concern.

TIA,

BK

" Is that correct? "

if you saw it on the internet,  it has to be correct...

-- even more so if you read it on www.jwsoundgroup.net

Well, Mr Smartypants, I _am_ trying to read it here on JWSoundgroup, but… guess what? There's no mention about my specific question anywhere here or on SD fora. Especially considering this is a days-old firmware. I think it's a legitimate question (stupid though it may be…)

BK

So, it _doesn't_ record 12 ISO channels, correct?

I mean, I get that it replaces the CL6, but I still only have 6 ISO channels - that was my main concern.

TIA,

BK

Incorrect.  Once inputs 7-12 are activated, all you need to do to record the iso for a channel is ensure the track is armed for record.

Incorrect.  Once inputs 7-12 are activated, all you need to do to record the iso for a channel is ensure the track is armed for record.

Thanks, Matt. That's pretty exciting news. I'll have to dive into the manual to check out all the capabilities.

Cheers,

BK

<"we will need a bigger CF card…">

That manual is quite good. It also states how many ISOs the device can record.

Now if there were another 6 mic pres in the CL-6. Line only, unfortunately.

Herr Kautzch, now, how many mic inputs do you really want? You have 6, so you can even do a 5.1 surround recording with a DPA5100 kind of mic on just the 664. 

The 6 line inputs are good to take in wireless... 

In fact, on a feature set, I may have two booms, 6 wireless, and maybe plant mics but not that often - and the plant mic if coming through wireless Rx can go into one of the 6 mic inputs that are switchable to line.

I think you are expecting too much from the 664 and CL6. 

-vin

Herr Kautzch, now, how many mic inputs do you really want? You have 6, so you can even do a 5.1 surround recording with a DPA5100 kind of mic on just the 664. 

The 6 line inputs are good to take in wireless... 

In fact, on a feature set, I may have two booms, 6 wireless, and maybe plant mics but not that often - and the plant mic if coming through wireless Rx can go into one of the 6 mic inputs that are switchable to line.

I think you are expecting too much from the 664 and CL6. 

-vin

My recorder needs to double for the occasional mid-scale classical music recording, where I routinely use six to eight phantom powered mics. 788T does fine for this, but sometimes another input pair (or two) would be nice.

Of course, one can easily rent another 788T, c.link them, and feed the "A" machine's mix to two inputs of the "B" machine for easy monitoring of the complete mix. It's just nicer in to have all in one unit.

I just wonder if, now that the basic 664 does 12 inputs, people might want a stronger reason why they still should buy the CL-6...?

Fader knobs. Record and stop buttons. Led meters.

Touché.

Ah... now this is a different scenario... 

Maybe a MixPreD? 

If it was "occasionally 7 or 8 mics", then yes. It's more like "generally 6 to 8, occasionally 9 or even 12 mics". In January, it will be Mahler, at least 16 mics with a good chance of needing more. Will go back to hauling around my large, heavy, clumsy rack of preamps, firewire interfaces, backup 24 tk Mackie MDR, and DAW for that one.

But as this is a film sound forum, let's get back to topic.

" at least 16 mics with a good chance of needing more. "

I would suspect that you are exceeding the design parameters of of the unit...

That's why I'll be

hauling around my large, heavy, clumsy rack of preamps, firewire interfaces, backup 24 tk Mackie MDR, and DAW for that one.

Herr Kautzsch, i envy you... 

...that I'm about do a one-man job that will surely have me coming home with my back aching a lot - and for which our public radio stations would send a crew of five? ;)