664 on a low budget feature

mikewest

Hi Phil

1 update just before the start of the shoot another during and then 2.0 last week as far as I remember

although getting home regularly at 6 a.m has affected my brain slightly!

Have not bought a CL6 as 6 channels will do for now!

Yep power consumption very low, I use just one 5.0 AH Lith-ion powering 664 + two receivers and a headphone transmitter

BTW Cheers Brian

mike

Just finished my first day with a 664 which was a rental on a shoot and the preamps def sound brighter/warmer then my 552/302 and its performance was flawless. As many others have said here as a field mixer / recorder it's fabulous.. The menu system and workflow is brilliant.

As far as the preamps are concerned, I must say my first impression is also that I prefer the pre's on my 552. The 664 seems to have slightly less fidelity to me. I've also owned a 702t that I've sold, and the 664 seems to sound more similar to it, but not as full and rich as I remember.

It may be just a matter of getting used to the sound and I def plan on doing some more listening in the studio rather then just headphones. This field mixer / recorder can handle pretty much anything I do, so for me it's a winner and I'll def be adding one to my kit soon !

Ok Dolo to me the 664 sounds incredible: I'm doing a drama policeshow as a 'one man band', meaning me booming and having 4 TX (Lectro's) on track 2-5 that I cannot really control...no distortion at all ( had a lot of whispering to shouting scenes..)Normally I shoot with my Sonosax SX-ST8 (to an SD 744) and I hear a difference only that the 664 transformers are slightly warmer.Warmer is taste.

Not better,in my opinion.But Sonosax tranformers are also taste..Layout/routing on a Sonosax SX-ST8 however is outstandig and beyond compare.

David C (Sonosax SX-PR 4,BD-1,SX-ST 8 Owner/user)

Yes you are right - it is a taste thing. Glad to see you go a lot of the same kit I use however I'm not glad you don't have a boom op for your police drama. That setup is similar to the one I had on the documentary last week - and again booming, not chance of control over the radio mic's but 664 performed very well. No distortion, good headroom unbelievable power consumption.

when you guys are comparing the sound of different recorders are you listening through it's headphone jack or recording and playing them all back on a common playback device ( i.e. computer plugged into studio monitors)?

headphone outputs can sound different than the actual recording in my experience.

I compared the Sonosax to the 664 files with this setup:- MacBook Pro - lake people d/a converters - phase linear amp - rogers LS7 speakers. I agree headphone amps sound very different and I take any chance to listen without the cans on.