quick... let the speculating begin, again...

studiomprd

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" should have sold my 744T and 302 while I had the chance. "

why..?

they have paid for themselves, and they will still perform well for years...

in our business, you don't make money owning equipment, you make money using equipment.

You don't make money NOT using the equipment, however.

i did ask him to please not use those lights if he was shooting a sound job again, and he said he'd never stop using those lights.

its all in the sound report. hopefully they have some noise reduction plugins.

any way. this is taking us away from the speculation.

maybe theyve sponsored a NASCAR team, and its a radio controlled scale model.

You don't make money NOT using the equipment, however.

Exactly. There's a view out there that if a certain piece of equipment is 'written off', you keep it forever, because if you rent it again, pure profit.

But, if you can keep it a few years, pay for it through renting it out, and write it off with your taxes, isn't it better to get 65-70% of the cost back at the end of that period by selling it off used if you aren't using it anymore?

It's nice to have older gear as a backup, but I've seen older camera guys trying to sell off obsolete camera gear at the end of their careers, and no one wants any of it.

Think I'd rather buy and sell a bit to keep things more current.

R

I think it's valid to say both thoughts work. Same as cars. Some people flip their car every 2 or 3 years, and some people run them into the ground. Neither is wrong.

With our equipment, something like a microphone has a long usable life, but the value of other stuff drops off a cliff. Look at people selling DAT recorders. The value of the PD-6 dropped pretty steep because of discs going out of production. Even the 442 lost a lot of cash value because market was flooded when the 552 displaced it. Same for the the MixPre being displaced by the MixPreD. Those are easy examples because both are SD, but you can also see what the 552 did to the price of a used X5. There is something to be said for flipping your gear and always having new gear, unless you want to start a museum.

So much "noise" for a small mixer/recorder? I don't think so.

But for my market will be perfect as well as Mr. Zaxcom Maxx.

Tuesday Alarm: 18:00

Think the "noise" for a small mixer/recorder comes from larger end of SD-town being well covered by the 788 & 664. SD likes to protect its existing products; I would love an improved 788 - buts only "minor" tweaks really - so how many would they sell to existing customers? The smaller end is wide open and the Max has shown there is demand for something like that.