From the Department of Past Lives--my 1985 LP re-released

Philip Perkins

http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/story/song-premiere-philip-perkins-home-and-away/

Here's an online article about the re-release of my 1985 LP "Drive Time", with one of the songs from the album.  The guys at Captured Tracks/Body Double tracked me down and made me a deal I couldn't refuse--they had the music remastered (LP, CD, download) and kept my orig graphics with a few small updates.  This LP didn't sell very well back in the '80s, and has been much pirated by rip+download mp3 sites, but the dudes from Body Double seemed to really like this quirky collection of pieces made before they were born enough to put some money behind bringing it back to life.  Strange, but cool.   

phil p

post-17-0-20180300-1384553067_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Phil

Amazing. I'll grab a copy and check it out tonight.

The Residents were an instrumental influence on my interest in playing music and recording our efforts. From there, making music videos in late 80s and early 90s, I found myself at the start of the road that lead to today, a busy working location recordist. And I am very happy doing what I do. So thanks to you, and the Residents.

Great music! The Residents were huge in developing my musical interests as well as a general interest in sound! Probably wouldn't be working as a mixer if it weren't for them, so thank you! Glad to hear you're in the same field!

Also, are you familiar with Robert Turman? The toy piano (is that what it is?) and that analog sound paired with early electronics brings his recently rediscovered album Flux to mind! A personal favorite of mine!

Phil,

The music is great and I had no idea you were part of the Residents.  We've never met, corresponded maybe once or twice over the years, but I have certainly enjoyed and gained immensely reading your thoughtful, well crafted input and advice.  I look forward to hearing the rest of the album and any crazy stories about the Residents you care to share.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn New York