788 HDD suddenly blank...any help appreciated

Harris K

Hi all,

End of the day today, I booted up my 788 to find that the internal appeared freshly formatted. The drive boots properly, and has all the folders that should be present on a newly formatted drive, but all audio is either gone or invisible. Unfortunately, there were a few unmirrored files on the drive. Also, I'm on firmware 2.18 if relevant.

I'll be contacting Sound Devices first thing, and production is aware that we'll probably have to go to data recovery, but I'm just curious if anyone has any precedent at all for this sort of thing. I'm not expecting much, but you never know.

Thanks in advance,

Harris

Edit: drive mounts properly to computer and looks totally healthy on computer and internally. I haven't tested rolling it because I don't want to overwrite anything.

Why would you record to only one media?

Sorry to kick you while you are down, but in the digital age, if it isn't somewhere twice, it isn't somewhere at all.

The 788T doesn't "mirror", it writes simultaneously.  There's simply no reason to not have an internal CF or external reader with CF running at the same time.

Hope you get your files back.  I'm sure they're there somewhere.

Robert

Point well taken. For sake of saying, I was switching media, and rolled for a bit without CF in a hurried set up at end of day.. Afterwards i went to copy from HDD to external when the trouble began. Only lost a few takes, but it's still a thing.

I made a dumb "it'll be fine" call and it went sour. I completely agree with you Robert, I certainly can't argue I made the right call.

Edit: drive mounts properly to computer and looks totally healthy on computer and internally. I haven't tested rolling it because I don't want to overwrite anything.

Are the files all back? If so, I'd say copy them immediately to another drive and make sure they're all backed up!

Once it's all backed up, go ahead and update to 3.01 (or whatever the new SD firmware is). If nothing else, at least under 3.x, you can format new CF cards in about 3 seconds (vs. about 30 seconds on the old system). Be sure to go through every single menu setting because lots of stuff gets lost or dodgy. Once everything is set to where you want it, save that setup as a preset.

Why are you on a firmware that is 3 versions old. Have you mounted 788t to a computer and attempted a data recover that way? 

I always record to 3 Media when using my 788T 

Funny, I used to always record to a CF, Int drive AND my Lacie Ext. drive... all 3.....  for a long time...  A few times I got the "Media slow" prompt on my screen... This was while recording like 5 tracks... nothing crazy....   I went to CF and Int. drive only for the last 10 or shows with no problems... Havn't tried again since going to 3.01.....  I simply copy my files to my Lacie at days end or first thing the next morning.... This is a 5 month old SSD 788T.... Who knows.... a dear friend said he does the same thing..... for the same reasons.... Who knows... no big deal...  If you think about it, in the end you end up with  ALMOST the same thing, with less work for the machine... I have NEVER had a bad file on either the CF, INT or the Lacie...

Only issue with my 788 I have had is internal SSD issues and issues with things related to that. My machine has been flawless since serviced last year though. But I prefer especially when on the cart to record to 3 media. In my view its better to be safe then sorry. IT also allows me to always have a copy of current project on my cart that is not in the 788. I think recording to 2 media is sufficient for most applications though 

I too recently had an issues with the 788 HD being erased.

I started my day off with formatting my CF card.  The machine formatted the HD instead!

Luckily I had all previous files backed up.  

Had to start the day and record on the now totally erased HD, so no recovery has taken place yet.

Which would just be for piece of mind to see if its in there somewhere.

I am running 2.19

Reverted from 3.0 because of a few issues.