Sound Devices 633…What do you think?

Jim Feeley

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you should take another look, because it does do 192k now. And so does Zaxcom's Maxx, by the way. Judging just by the specs the 788t's preamps are better than those on the 633, but I always thought "high end feature" sound fx recordists would use something more exotic, anyway

Cheers Constantin, I hadn't noticed the upgrade but will have a look. Still, "high end feature sound fx recording" still doesn't pay enough unfortunately to fork out on something of the 788's cost, and since I couldn't even see myself getting a job in Lidl this month it'll be a while after the computer/PT/etc upgrade needed to be buying any kind of decent new recorder. Well worth knowing in advance though - for rental if a multitrack gig appeared meanwhile. The cost of the 633 however is a huge factor to make one look at it (despite the lack of a fourth preamp). For atmos and certain foley and FX yes I do sometimes use some esoteric mic/preamp combination ... but the whole preamp thing can get rather geeky ... simple ability to match gain preferably quickly is a higher priority. I think the preamps on my 302 sound fine, especially if I don't have to push them to the top. The 744 preamps sound good but not so brilliant I expect them to be any kind of deal breaker against those on the 633 (which I've obviously never heard - but I trust I'd be happy with them. 90dB gain seems reasonable!). The preamps on my Nagra IV-S still sound great and they're nearly as old as me ... the design maybe older. And the high sample rate: if there wasn't any 192 and above, I wouldn't care, but there is, so I'm usually expected to utilise it. I'm pleased we're getting the chance more often.

J

Battery Bud will give you more space, and the Kort bag (not exactly shown in the above pic) has side pockets for NP storage that's far easier/faster to get to. As for x4 411's, yes you can, however it depends on the way you're wanting to arrange them. You'll prob want to stack them in a 2 x 2 config.

To give you an idea on space with these side pockets.... The right one has my NP, and the left side has my batt bud II and RF multi. You should be able to use your BDS still.

Just got my 633 today.

Has anyone else had an issue with the Input Activity LEDs?

Mine seem to be linked to each other somehow.

They all come on simultaneously in limiter yellow, no matter what input level, or input.

At the moment I only have my boom plugged in on channel 1, and yet all 6 input LEDs light up yellow, even with a low level.

Is there a hard reboot or something that I can try before I have to send it back?

Figured I would share my experience with the Rii mini keyboard recommended here on another thread as a nice 664 keyboard and it's been working well for me on the 633 as well!  I have it velcro'd to the bag but I can remove it easily since it's wireless.  I did something the other night when I was first setting it up that caused it not to work...not sure what that magic button was but I'll do a bit of testing to try and repeat it and let you all know.  During all normal operations it's been fine.  I managed to reconnect the keyboard by forcing the 633 to do a full power-down by pressing and holding menu for 10 seconds while the unit was off (also a tip from another thread).  Loving this little machine so far! Now if only I could get a better looking screen protecter...anyone?

post-741-0-94779200-1385513855_thumb.jpg

Just a side note:

As I understand it, the price differential, in the UK at least, is down to the imposition of tax at each stage of the transaction; so at the initial import the revenue adds 20% to the basic price (plus 4% for certain items) for the distributor, who then adds his mark-up and has to charge on another 20% VAT on top of that to the retailer. Also, as the distibutor often also needs to set up a service department, the dealer price is loaded again to reflect this. The dealer then adds his mark-up to an already increased base price and then adds another 20% VAT to the end-user, although this is reclaimable if you're earning enough to be registered for VAT. This is why it's still often cheaper to travel to and buy in the country of origin and pay the import duty.

In the days of cheap airfares and silly Apple prices in the UK, it was possible (and a lot of people did this) to book a week's package holiday to New York, buy a Mac system, ship it back to the UK, pay the import duty and stll have paid considerably less than you would have if you'd bought it retail over here. Apple's world-wide guarantee meant that if you bough from a approved Apple dealer anywhere in the world, the guarantee would be honoured anywhere in the world. I bought my first PowerBook Duo 230 in New York in 1993, but had it repaired in the UK for no charge when it had a problem early on.

Regards,

John

thanks for sharing this info.

best 

Figured I would share my experience with the Rii mini keyboard recommended here on another thread as a nice 664 keyboard and it's been working well for me on the 633 as well!  I have it velcro'd to the bag but I can remove it easily since it's wireless.  I did something the other night when I was first setting it up that caused it not to work...not sure what that magic button was but I'll do a bit of testing to try and repeat it and let you all know.  During all normal operations it's been fine.  I managed to reconnect the keyboard by forcing the 633 to do a full power-down by pressing and holding menu for 10 seconds while the unit was off (also a tip from another thread).  Loving this little machine so far! Now if only I could get a better looking screen protecter...anyone?

Nice machine going out on its first job today. Looking forward to working it.

Due to the set ups on some of the jobs I do, I need to run 2 recorders. What would be a nice addition is if the 'Timecode out' could be similar to other mixer/recorders where it is switchable from Gen out to disk out so that I can have the second machine on Autoload. Not sure if this is possible with SD's set up but it would be nice.