Sound Devices 633…What do you think?

Jim Feeley

My 663 will be arriving today and I'm looking for a bag solution.

I will probably go with the Ktek when it is eventually available but for now I'm looking for something small.

The Kortwich is close but not quite what I'm looking for.

Other than the few mentioned so far, any other ideas?

Anyone using a petrol bag? If so what size and are you liking the fit?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can ask Kortwich to change anything you want in the bag and make a custom one that fits your needs.

The bags shown on their website are mainly custom bags previously ordered.

Talk to them and you will have the bag you dream of.

+1

you will get exactly what you want/need.

Its not as cheap as buying off the rack - but that goes without saying.

Just a side note:

As I understand it, the price differential, in the UK at least, is down to the imposition of tax at each stage of the transaction; so at the initial import the revenue adds 20% to the basic price (plus 4% for certain items) for the distributor, who then adds his mark-up and has to charge on another 20% VAT on top of that to the retailer. Also, as the distibutor often also needs to set up a service department, the dealer price is loaded again to reflect this. The dealer then adds his mark-up to an already increased base price and then adds another 20% VAT to the end-user, although this is reclaimable if you're earning enough to be registered for VAT. This is why it's still often cheaper to travel to and buy in the country of origin and pay the import duty.

No, that's not correct. The 20% added at import is like VAT and the importer can reclaim that. So there's no need to increase the price because of that. VAT is irrelevant in business-to-business stuff, because everyone who has to pay it can reclaim it. Only a consumer has to pay VAT without being able to reclaim it

First day out with the 633 today - big fail! locked up and was dead in the water until internal battery ran out ( 30 mins or so ) - couldn't switch off/ couldn't do anything.  Needs a hard reset for these situations.  Suspect it may be my media which has been faultless for last couple of years as I was trying to rename files at time.

Boo - love the machine but that was not cool - had the 552 to save the day but not great look - sure it will get ironed out but bug tracking didn't take long

You cannot remove the internal batteries yourself?

He means the PowerSafe circuitry and the internal timecode battery, not the internal AAs.  See below:

I think knowing about ~push menu button for 10 seconds to force reboot on freeze~ is going to be very important for 633 operatives to know. Joel, make sure to learn this button combo! The power switch needs to be in the off position, as well.

Hi Tom, thanks for your post, I'm as keen as you are on the 633!

I am particularly keen to learn how you can add the 7th/8th input that you are suggesting can be done via the Return Input.

I don't quite follow your workflow - could you break it down for me please?

Cheers,

Ande

5) Even though aimed at the bag user, I noted that X1/X2 can be assigned the headphone source, which in turn can be assigned to the stereo return, which means that I could record 6 channels ISO and a 2 channel mix from my analog mixer, coming into the return - making it a competent recorder for film production too.

Hi Tom, thanks for your post, I'm as keen as you are on the 633!

I am particularly keen to learn how you can add the 7th/8th input that you are suggesting can be done via the Return Input.

I don't quite follow your workflow - could you break it down for me please?

Cheers,

Ande

After further review, I found out that X1/X2 cannot access the stereo return, only X3/X4, which are not recordable.  So... no, what I was suggesting will not work.  I look at the 663 being the best 302/702T replacement around.  It has 3 excellent mic/line inputs, and as a BONUS - there are 3 additional line only inputs.  It has great analog / digital selectable outputs, and as a BONUS, there is an X1/2/3/4 assignable outputs that can be used for a variety of utility functions - 2nd camera, monitor feed, etc...  When you look at the device from its price point and the equipment it is replacing, this is a really strong and smart offering form Sound Devices.  I still think that there is room for a recording 302 - something that retains the more price sensitive feature set of that mixer, a bit more mundane operation, visibility of the LED meters, but adds a non-ISO, 2ch only TC recorder, a 302DT if you will, but I'm only thinking out loud here.  I think if it came in under $2k, it also would be a hot seller.

After further review, I found out that X1/X2 cannot access the stereo return, only X3/X4, which are not recordable.  So... no, what I was suggesting will not work.  I look at the 663 being the best 302/702T replacement around.  It has 3 excellent mic/line inputs, and as a BONUS - there are 3 additional line only inputs.  It has great analog / digital selectable outputs, and as a BONUS, there is an X1/2/3/4 assignable outputs that can be used for a variety of utility functions - 2nd camera, monitor feed, etc...  When you look at the device from its price point and the equipment it is replacing, this is a really strong and smart offering form Sound Devices.  I still think that there is room for a recording 302 - something that retains the more price sensitive feature set of that mixer, a bit more mundane operation, visibility of the LED meters, but adds a non-ISO, 2ch only TC recorder, a 302DT if you will, but I'm only thinking out loud here.  I think if it came in under $2k, it also would be a hot seller.

Looking only at the picture in the manual, it looks as though the RTN can be routed to the LR MIX (if not, though I haven't looked, the AUX 12). Therefore, anyone wanting a MIX from the 633 and another MIX-B from a separate mixer could input the separate mixer to the RTN, routed to Main MIX; route the 633 channels post fade to the AUX12 and NOT to the MIX; and thus have 6 isos (at 48k) AND a mix from the 633 AND a reference mix from an external source. 

Just a thought, and anyone thinking of doing it should perhaps read the manual or play on their machine to try it rather than taking my word for it ... but I expect it would work. Shame that the RTN is on a 3.5 socket, not a TA3 or 5 as I've said earlier (quoted below)

(quoted from earlier post...) Again, from a SD mixer ownership point of view (302 in my case, but thinking of the TA3/5 Mix out across the range) I'd have preferred the RTN to have been a TA3 Mix In to easily inject another mixer's LR output into the 633 LR bus (or routed instead to Aux12 bus …) I believe (from picture on p19 of manual) that the RTN CAN be routed to the 633 LR Mix bus, in whole or single leg - legs perhaps even reversed or doubled … so if it was a case of SD deliberately missing this out it's a bit strange. But I'd feel sonically happier knowing the signal was coming via a TA3 than a 3.5 jack … (a plugged-in adapter could sit there for normal camera return loom).

Jez Adamson

I've seen a few comments from folks about the supplied screen protector with 664 and 633 units, that are "blurry, or hard to see through them".  Please notice there's a thin plastic film you need to remove first that will help with the clarity bit.

Zack,

Curious about using a 607 bag. Does it have to be jammed in there to make it fit and once its in do you

feel that it's a bit too tight getting things plugged in and out and general use?

It seems like it's overflowing just a bit, but I love the idea of using such a small bag.

Thanks

It's a sung fit, but I definitely didn't have to force anything to make fit.  Everything is accessible other than the bottom batteries (which I don't use).  The only thing that you'll need to do is apply a little downward pressure on the right side golf tee to get the memory card door 100% open (and it's really not that much pressure).  When the bag is suspended and you're wearing it, things settle in more as well and looks less "overflowing".  My only complaint about this bag and the 633 is there's no security strap really for the mixer from being dumped out like the 614 has.  There's a way to do it obviously, but nothing really built into the bag like some other models.