Sound Devices 633…What do you think?

Jim Feeley

Looking only at the picture in the manual, it looks as though the RTN can be routed to the LR MIX (if not, though I haven't looked, the AUX 12). Therefore, anyone wanting a MIX from the 633 and another MIX-B from a separate mixer could input the separate mixer to the RTN, routed to Main MIX; route the 633 channels post fade to the AUX12 and NOT to the MIX; and thus have 6 isos (at 48k) AND a mix from the 633 AND a reference mix from an external source. 

Just a thought, and anyone thinking of doing it should perhaps read the manual or play on their machine to try it rather than taking my word for it ... but I expect it would work. Shame that the RTN is on a 3.5 socket, not a TA3 or 5 as I've said earlier (quoted below)

(quoted from earlier post...) Again, from a SD mixer ownership point of view (302 in my case, but thinking of the TA3/5 Mix out across the range) I'd have preferred the RTN to have been a TA3 Mix In to easily inject another mixer's LR output into the 633 LR bus (or routed instead to Aux12 bus …) I believe (from picture on p19 of manual) that the RTN CAN be routed to the 633 LR Mix bus, in whole or single leg - legs perhaps even reversed or doubled … so if it was a case of SD deliberately missing this out it's a bit strange. But I'd feel sonically happier knowing the signal was coming via a TA3 than a 3.5 jack … (a plugged-in adapter could sit there for normal camera return loom).

Jez Adamson

Curious as to what you see in the manual that makes it look like RTN can be routed to L/R.  Reading down to the quote, there is no picture on P. 19 -- in the current manual available on line, P. 19 is talking about Limiters.

There is no facility in the 633 to route RTN to the Main L/R bus.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious as to what you see in the manual that makes it look like RTN can be routed to L/R.  Reading down to the quote, there is no picture on P. 19 -- in the current manual available on line, P. 19 is talking about Limiters.

There is no facility in the 633 to route RTN to the Main L/R bus.

Thanks Matt for the clarification anyway that it can't be done. I see that I was (ahem) looking at the Headphone Preset 1 picture (p13 of the manual corresponding to p19 of the pdf!). That's me trying to ingest so much information at once! Obviously got mixed up the first time I saw that pic, then never looked properly at it when I went back to read in more depth.

Jez

• 2 weeks later...

Sebastian, I looked at it at my dealer when I picked up mine.  Didn't much care for it, personally.  Doesn't come with a shoulder strap, I was told.  It just seemed awkwardly shaped but different strokes for different folks.  I'm sure there are many people who have it and love it.  Just didn't suite my needs. 

Sebastian, I looked at it at my dealer when I picked up mine.  Didn't much care for it, personally.  Doesn't come with a shoulder strap, I was told.  It just seemed awkwardly shaped but different strokes for different folks.  I'm sure there are many people who have it and love it.  Just didn't suite my needs. 

Yeah, Russell, I saw that it doesn't come with a strap which I found a little odd. I guess they assume that most people have their own harnesses or the like. 

• 2 months later...

Ah! Help! my 3 day old 633 has just refused to boot up at all and I'm leaving for an overseas shoot on sunday… I'm not sure if I'll even be able to source a replacement tomorrow (friday) has anyone had this issue?  She just won't switch on at all from either AA's, or L-series… nothing, just a black screen and no lights.   I've tried holding menu for 10 seconds in off.. no dice. 

What about external power? Try ejecting the card(s), pull everything out, batteries and all, plug power in, test it. If that doesn't work, pull power, or batteries in try again etc.

nope tried all that already… I don't have an external power adapter to plug into the 10-18VDC port.. but tried all other power with and without cards… nothing.   She's dead… I'm calling sound devices.  I'll let you all know what the diagnosis is.. 

Ah! Help! my 3 day old 633 has just refused to boot up at all and I'm leaving for an overseas shoot on sunday… I'm not sure if I'll even be able to source a replacement tomorrow (friday) has anyone had this issue?  She just won't switch on at all from either AA's, or L-series… nothing, just a black screen and no lights.   I've tried holding menu for 10 seconds in off.. no dice. 

I'm in the same boat, sort of. My screen went blank, it lights up but it doesn't display anything. I can feed signal through it, but it's pretty tough to fly blind with this little guy. 

Dealing with tech support now, fingers crossed as I leave for a month on Tuesday.

soul: " has anyone had this issue?  "

maybe a few..? but you have not provided much initial information ...

Bluemke may or may not have the same issue...

although in further posts, you seem to have added some basic troubleshooting...

and maybe a call to SD is in order ??

Sadly, infant mortality of electronics remains a part of our modern lives...

Update: 

Stayed up late till Sound Devices Tech support opened in US… 

Spoke to technician, had me try a full hard reset by holding a few buttons…. Still no boot up, no lights, no anything.

Technician suspects power supply circuit completely dead (which must have happened some time during the day).

Got up this morning and called store I purchased from interstate… They contacted Australian distributor.  I'm having a replacement sent on next flight courier which should arrive tonight.

Prompt backup service, as I'd expect from a $3700AU bit of gear.

I'll rejoice and relax when I hear that knock on my door tonight….

anyways, sorry for the brief Hijack.. but thought it might be relevant for potential buyers and current owners.

In my very brief 4 days of playing around with the device i was suitably impressed.  As long as my replacement arrives before I fly out for location then this experience won't tarnish my opinion of SD… I'm sure there is the occasional faulty component that isn't picked up in testing or indeed initial use. 

Built-in Double MS decoder :) But I'm sure it will be added in future firmware ;)

They should implement MS decoding in the most elegant way, which is the simplest: implement phase inversion for any channel, both on input-to-tracks and headphone selection, like on Deva.

This way you implement MS decoding for recording OR monitoring anywhere you need, on ANY two channels, for MS or double MS.

For instance, if you want to record discrete M and S signals, you send the two sources to their tracks and for LR stereo monitoring (or output) you assign M mic to LR and S mic to L and inverted phase R.

If you want to record decoded, you send M mic to, say, tracks 1 and 2, and send S mic to track 1 and with phase inversion to track 2 and just monitor LR stereo, since it's already decoded.

Is that simple. They just need to implement phase inversion of a source when assigned to a track or an output (headphone or physical)

Please, oh please. That's the best way. Simple, versatile, elegant

They should implement MS decoding in the most elegant way, which is the simplest: implement phase inversion for any channel, both on input-to-tracks and headphone selection, like on Deva.

This way you implement MS decoding for recording OR monitoring anywhere you need, on ANY two channels, for MS or double MS.

For instance, if you want to record discrete M and S signals, you send the two sources to their tracks and for LR stereo monitoring (or output) you assign M mic to LR and S mic to L and inverted phase R.

If you want to record decoded, you send M mic to, say, tracks 1 and 2, and send S mic to track 1 and with phase inversion to track 2 and just monitor LR stereo, since it's already decoded.

Is that simple. They just need to implement phase inversion of a source when assigned to a track or an output (headphone or physical)

Please, oh please. That's the best way. Simple, versatile, elegant

it's not just the simple phase inversion that's needed. As you are stating above the same input signal is needed phase-reversed AND in-phase simultaneously. To achieve that, you need to split the signal first. Should not be impossible, but it might not be as simple and elegant as you think

Yes, that's the only thing that is needed. I do it constantly on Deva for many years (and anywhere, ProTools, physical mixing console permitting that kind of routing, etc)

You don't need to split the signal. You are already assigning each source signal to two tracks or two outputs or headphone's LR.

You assign M source to both destinations and assign S source to both destinations also but the one becoming R has to be phase inverted.

This way you generate the decoded L as the sum (M+S) and the decoded R as the difference (M-S).

So it is just a matter of being able to invert the phase of a source at the time of assigning it to a destination.

It is the most elegant (simplest and most computationally cheap) way to implement MS or double MS.

M...x....x

S...x....H

horizontal: destinations 1 and 2 (tracks, outputs or LR headphones)

vertical: M and S sources (inputs or tracks)

x: assignation matrix node

H: same but phase inverted

"1" will become decoded L (m+s), "2" will become decoded R (m-s)

The only thing needed is controlling both sources (M and S mics) with one fader for convenience (either if you decode to tracks or only to headphone/outputs while recording the discrete M and S signals), which is already possible.