Sound Devices 633…What do you think?

Jim Feeley

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>It's easy to do on either device. 

But by implementing it that way you can decode any source anywhere without rigid MS declarations for recording or monitoring.

And you can invert the resulting LR (to RL) very simply (by phase inverting on the other S destination), for when you have your MS pair turned 180 degrees (you suddenly have to boom from below) or you are micing counter axis re. camera.

And you can decode MS, Double MS and (iirc) B-Format.

So it is simpler, computationally cheaper, versatile and works for anything (recording, monitoring)

Yes, that's the only thing that is needed. I do it constantly on Deva for many years (and anywhere, ProTools, physical mixing console permitting that kind of routing, etc)

You don't need to split the signal. You are already assigning each source signal to two tracks or two outputs or headphone's LR.

You assign M source to both destinations and assign S source to both destinations also but the one becoming R has to be phase inverted.

yes, exactly and this is where you need to split it, isn't it? Otherwise where would you invert the phase of S?

>where would you invert the phase of S?

Where it needs to : ) just look at the little diagram I did. You assign a source to a destination but phase inverted.

I'm not saying you can do that with current SD recorders (that's the point), I'm suggesting SD to switch from "declaring" an MS pair to simply allow for phase inversion when assigning, so you can do it all 

• 2 weeks later...

>where would you invert the phase of S?

Where it needs to : ) just look at the little diagram I did. You assign a source to a destination but phase inverted.

in your diagram you have two versions of the S signal. One normal, one flipped. That means you need to split, or multiply, the signal.

in your diagram you have two versions of the S signal. One normal, one flipped. That means you need to split, or multiply, the signal.

No, it is simply assigned to two destinations.

On Deva, Fusion, etc you assign any source to any destination. One source can be assigned to many destinations if needed (one input to many tracks for instance or one track to many outputs, etc)

On 633 it could not be done on ISO tracks unfortunately (since they are hardwired to their tracks), but it could be done with mix or aux tracks as destinations I guess (IF "phase inversion while assigning" would be implemented, of course)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi . I have a question. May be my question is very stupid for you but here my question.Can I swith on lectro lavs receiver to 4. 5. 6 line inputs???.best regards

Hi ARH,

To answer your question, yes, you can feed the 4,5,and 6 line inputs from your Lectro RX's.  A lot of us have short 18" or so custom cables made for that: right angle female XLR to TA3 Female.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, please post them here as there are a plethora of really helpful, talented, considerate, and compassionate sound mixers here who remember what it was like when they were just starting out.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

Hi ARH,

To answer your question, yes, you can feed the 4,5,and 6 line inputs from your Lectro RX's.  A lot of us have short 18" or so custom cables made for that: right angle female XLR to TA3 Female.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, please post them here as there are a plethora of really helpful, talented, considerate, and compassionate sound mixers here who remember what it was like when they were just starting out.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

Thank you very much

• 4 months later...

I just used my 633 up at 10,590 feet above sea level and in 20°F weather. Hell, I even mixed from it on the back of a snowmobile and it never let me down. Love this thing!

That sounds awesome! I just ordered mine. Can't wait to explore the machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Between my first and second interview today (powering down in between), my 633 did a factory reset and erased all of my track labels and general settings. Though my firmware stayed up to date and didn't revert. It was mildly inconvenient and gave me a minor heart attack when my boom no longer worked (channel reset to mic, no phantom). Took me 8.3 seconds to find the problem, but that was a looong 8.3 seconds. Anyone else had a similar experience? Only time it's done it in the 6 months I've had it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think knowing about ~push menu button for 10 seconds to force reboot on freeze~ is going to be very important for 633 operatives to know. Joel, make sure to learn this button combo! The power switch needs to be in the off position, as well.

On a job today working on a short reality piece with my 633. Set up to camera and everything was good, and we were patiently waiting for our scene to start with about 5 to 10 minutes to spare. Went to power my gear on just before we were about to roll, and I saw nothing but a black screen on my 633. Blue light blinking, but no boot up no matter what power option internal, external, etc. Before panic could totally set in, I immediately pulled my 633 out of my bag and ran to grab my mix pre-D to throw in my bag. Everyone should have at least this model or equiv in their kit as a bu for just such an emergency. It saved my arse. It was literally seconds later that the scene started and I was able to seamlessly carry on for the time being.

When I had a second to catch my breath, I did a quick Google search and found this. Had no idea about this reset option. Thank you google and thank you jw. It worked. All is right again. Going to put on more anti-perspirant now.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

currently using a 552, use IDX Lithium Ion to power mixer and usually 2 or 3 411's. This set up works well for my needs.

for those of you using NP's batteries to power the 663, is that working out well?

For simplicity and cost reasons, I would like just to continue to use NP's for both packages

rather than have to purchase the B2 batteries for use with the 663...