New bag for Sound Devices 633 and Zaxcom MAXX from K-Tek

dfisk

So now that you all have seen what SD has been up to, let me show you what we've been up to. 

We saw a need to fill a gap in the audio bag world. We wanted to build a bag for the SD 633 and Zaxcom MAXX. We wanted to build something that would meet your requirements. So we did. Below are some preliminary pictures of a bag that will work with both of these machines.

But it's more than just a bag. 

You see, I've been reading what you all have been saying about what you want from a bag, and I have been talking with some of you. 

You want a bag that can stand up on its own.

You want a dedicated space for an NP-1 battery.

You want to be able to run cables easily.

You want easy access to all sides of the bag.

You want extra storage for extra batteries and receiver antennas. 

...and even more.

Well, we made it, and it will be available soon. You see, something like this isn't just a pouch that goes around a machine. A lot of design time went into this product. Samples were made. Redesigns were done. We wanted to approach this product from the ground up, ignoring the typical designs and going in our own direction. 

The result is this. 

The Stingray.

Model number KSTNG1

post-321-0-83023300-1384885307_thumb.jpg

post-321-0-09632200-1384885520_thumb.jpg

post-321-0-81250300-1384885638_thumb.jpg

URL with more details and more photos coming very soon. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, K-Tek is on the warpath this year! Love it!!! It's almost like it was designed by somebody that has used an audio kit!?!!?!!?

That "somebody" would be me. :)

That's the idea. I've used all different kinds of audio bags and we finally decided it was time to come up with something that we saw a need for that wasn't being met. 

OH...this is just the first in a series of new products in this bag line coming. 

Very nice design and execution Dave & company.

CrewC

Thanks, Crew. It is definitely a team effort, and that's what I love about it. We all come up with ideas here and sit down and hammer out a design. My advantage is that since I've done the audio work I can say "hey, we need to make sure we take care of 'such and such' detail because this was always a drag" or something to that nature, and the team nailed it. 

Here are some pictures with the MAXX. There is enough room for straight XLR cables coming out of the back of the MAXX if that's how you roll. I'll be having more pictures coming that show more of the features as they roll in. 

OH..BTW..the padded divider inside the bag is rigid, is removable, AND has RF shielding in it so that should help with RF bleed between wireless receivers and the recorder/mixer. 

post-321-0-93290000-1384891808_thumb.jpg

post-321-0-50761400-1384891876_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome- just a few questions:

1. Will there be some kind of decent-sized hole in the middle divider to run cables to/from the mixer? 

2. Are you guys going to have some form of wireless pouches on the outside? Hard to tell now, but it looks like I can't have four dedicated wireless receivers inside and still have room for a hop or two. 

3. Is the material waterproof or resistant?

Also: good look with the RF shielding!

I'm definitely eyeing this.

The SD663 version will ship immediately while the bag for the Maxx will be out some time in mid 2014...

Not sure about the price.

:)

wait wait wait there....

Price is TBD, but we should have that really soon. I should have the bags early next year. It's not as soon as I would like, but we wanted to make sure the re-designs were just right, and I didn't want to rush the product. 

Looks awesome- just a few questions:

1. Will there be some kind of decent-sized hole in the middle divider to run cables to/from the mixer? 

Yes. The middle divider is kinda like a big letter "H". 

2. Are you guys going to have some form of wireless pouches on the outside? Hard to tell now, but it looks like I can't have four dedicated wireless receivers inside and still have room for a hop or two. 

Yes. You can clip the wireless pouches on the inside and the outside of the bag on the front. It's totally up to you. 

3. Is the material waterproof or resistant?

I would say water resistant, but not water proof. We are going to make a rain cover for it as well. In terms of water resistant...I wouldn't go throwing the bag full of gear in the ocean, but if it's raining lightly you should be ok. 

The flaps on the sides; when unzipped, can these be removed from the bag ?

No. We thought about doing this, but considering I'm the type of person to lose a removable side flap we thought it would be best if it were fixed on the bottom of the bag...OH..that reminds me..the inside of the side flaps have a mesh pocket for holding extra cable.

Bags for the 664 and Nomad will be forthcoming. 

Apologies if this seems dense, but is the 'dedicated space for the NP1' under the mixer area? How does this go with the option of powering the 633 with L-mounts, or getting XLRs into MAXX? Love the retracting handles, though!

Not dense at all. I have more pictures to post that show this. They are being touched up now. 

The spot for the NP-1 battery is in the front of the interior of the bag..the space underneath where you could put wireless receivers in the bag. There is an elastic strap that holds the battery down and there is enough space to even keep a spare battery in there as well. It's pretty voluminous on the inside. 

The space underneath the MAXX and the 633 is to have room for XLR connector on the MAXX and for the bigger batteries for the 633 if you need them. The recorders are held with straps up on the strap holders and by a strap on the inside of the bag that goes down, underneath, and then around the back to the back side of the middle divider, so the recorder is being held by two main supports. The bottom completely opens up (I'll have pictures of that soon) so you can access the rear of the recorders easily and run cables from the front of the bag to the inside with no issues.