New bag for Sound Devices 633 and Zaxcom MAXX from K-Tek

dfisk

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll talk to Glenn and see if he can send me a dummy unit so I can see if I can design something around it. The problem is quantities. How many people are running this? I'll need to have at least 300 pouches made. Does that mean I'll have a bunch of these things laying around for years if only 20 people are using this setup?

I own a TRX/ STA combo and I'm used to "figuring it out" when it comes to mounting it in the bag.

I wouldn't worry about it too much Dave. That said, if you want to make a custom solution then great. I'm planing to transition to the camera link eventually which is a standard form factor.

Great looking design; I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Are you considering adding a waistbelt option at all? I use a waistbelt, no shoulder harness, and its the only way I can comfortably wear a bag for long periods of time. Maybe as an option?

Kortwich has a great waistbelt design, but you've definitely got them beat on the bag! If only there were some way to combine...

Great looking design; I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Are you considering adding a waistbelt option at all? I use a waistbelt, no shoulder harness, and its the only way I can comfortably wear a bag for long periods of time. Maybe as an option?

Kortwich has a great waistbelt design, but you've definitely got them beat on the bag! If only there were some way to combine...

I think it would be a good addition in the future if it can be done. Not all the mixers out there have guts like we do Dave that would cover the unit.;~)

CrewC

Dave, really like the bag, only thing I'm unsure of is the wireless 'wraps'. There's no way that using something like that will give enough airflow to a QRX/IFB (which has a ventilated case). Is there any elastic strapping in that area? - I us this in combination with some stick-on Velcro in my current Petrol bag.

Ah fantastic! You mentioned there was a piece of mesh between the back of the bag and the belly o' the soundie that *might* be strong enough to support a waistbelt; what if you replaced this mesh with a stiff fabric and sandwiched/sewed the waistbelt in there? It sounds like that would be a fairly easy mod, if not on a mass-produced scale then as something that us waistbelt aficionados could do ourselves. Either way, I'm buying one of your bags for sure, sir.

Eric Branting 

Dave, really like the bag, only thing I'm unsure of is the wireless 'wraps'. There's no way that using something like that will give enough airflow to a QRX/IFB (which has a ventilated case). Is there any elastic strapping in that area? - I us this in combination with some stick-on Velcro in my current Petrol bag.

There aren't any elastic straps on the inside of the bag to hold a transmitter or receiver. I was originally thinking of doing that, but I had no confidence that you are are running or moving fast that the elastic would be enough to hold the receiver in place and keep it from sliding down into the bag. You could get some stick on velcro and velcro the QRX to the inside of the bag easily enough, though. 

Ah fantastic! You mentioned there was a piece of mesh between the back of the bag and the belly o' the soundie that *might* be strong enough to support a waistbelt; what if you replaced this mesh with a stiff fabric and sandwiched/sewed the waistbelt in there? It sounds like that would be a fairly easy mod, if not on a mass-produced scale then as something that us waistbelt aficionados could do ourselves. Either way, I'm buying one of your bags for sure, sir.

Eric Branting 

It looks like we are going to make our own waist belt to work with our bag line rather than hot rodding the existing design to work with something else. The mesh that we have is there to help with air flow and we don't plan on changing it. 

OK. So, here are some changes to the current design based on feedback here and from beta testers:

-The main storage pouch that is inside the outer part is going to be moved to the sides. This allows us to keep that outer compartment open for things like wireless receivers, transmitters, BDS, or whatever else you want to clip there. Each side will have an external storage pouch. 

-The wireless compartment will have elastic bands sewn on to both interior walls so you can mount up to 4 wireless receivers easily inside the bag. The current pouches are too thick to allow two 411 receivers to stack easily, but elastic bands will fix this. 

-We will still include 2 of the wireless pouches anyway as a "just in case" kind of thing. This allows you to be more flexible depending on your setup. 

-The clear rain cover will have velcro on both sides of the ends so it will cover the outer compartment if you have receivers or transmitters in it. It is already long enough to work. 

-We are going to make an accessory that allows the bag to angled when you set it down. Building it into the bag will be costly and I don't know if it is something everyone will use, so if it is a separate item it will be easier for everyone, plus the changes we are making right now are easy. Building something like that into the bag is going to push delivery several weeks, and I don't want to do that. 

I want to thank our Beta testers and everyone on here for the feedback. I'm glad we are doing it this way and your input is very valuable to us. 

Velcro on the rain cover: hooks on the cover, loops on the bag please. I've had a bag recently that's got both hooks and loops on the cover and that's not a good idea. You have to check every time you're not upside down when putting the cover on and you rub yourself on those hooks when using the bag.

As for the trx-sta, I ended up with this so I can easily swap from bag to bag and it keeps the antenna vertical.

post-1129-0-72143400-1386683475_thumb.jp

Don't forget elastic strips on the outside front! Sewn tight across. It allows for clipping of transmitters! Very helpful. Too easy not to implement.

We don't need elastic across the very front. You can clip right onto the firm frame. That's what it is designed for. 

Very disappointed

The BandPro event is really geared towards camera and video stuff, not audio. BandPro isn't a big audio dealer. I've done their event in the past, and while it is great for camera and video stuff, it really wasn't worth it for K-Tek to pay for space to be there and have people walk by and ignore me. That whole night I maybe spoke with 3 or 4 people, and they were people like Senator, John Coffey, and Glen Trew that already know what we're up to. It's nice to see them, of course, but I don't need to pay money to just drive up and see them. Senator was nice enough to watch my stuff so I could get a bite to eat, though.