ipad mini retina, should i? shouldn't? hmmm. no. here's why.

every time i have upgraded the os on my ipad 1 i have noticed a resulting overall slowness in the browser.

it has recently come to my attention that the upgrades are tweaked for the processors of the newest ios devices and running the upgrades on older devices results in problems.

when this occurs the natural solution would be to downgrade to the previous ios and resolve the problem.

however, apple does not allow that and while it has some good reasons to do so the downside is that many devices are forced into obsolescence.

there are workarounds for these problems and they are sometimes specific to the ios versions you have on your device, but, from what i have been reading, apple is making it increasingly difficult to downgrade unless (in most cases) saving files using specific software and then jailbreaking to restore the previous os.

luckily ipad 1 is running 5.1.1 so needless to say i wont be upgrading. i also deactivated notifications, messaging, email, location, etc and the thing runs pretty well.

this will most likely be the last apple product i will buy. obsolescence is a given in this day and age, but when a manufacturer exceeds its authority in helping the process along i say 'include me out.'

just don't do the ios upgrades when they arrive. your devices functions will stay pretty much the same until the components deteriorate naturally.

if you do decide to upgrade search out the correct way to restore via a downgrade.

turn off auto updates and be wary when wiping/reinstalling. the upgrade goes right in when you do and there's no way back once you have upgraded.

i'll just use my ipad 1 as a beater until it dies. but i generally like a long lifespan out of equipment.

if manufacturers who are specific to our industry did what apple does in this instance a lot of people would be very unhappy.

Sold my old iPad a while ago and just got a retina mini.

I've owned apple products for long enough. I know what I am in for.

If I am relying on an app, I will wait until I am sure all is well before upgrading either iOS or the app. Even though the red 1 on the update gnaws away at my inner neat freak.

But like you I deactivate all the notification nonsense because I am not 14.

I know what I'm in for as well. I've used Apple products for over 10 years and have been on iOS since day 1.

Yes, sure the Apple Ecosystem is an issue for people who want their freedom... but like you said, they have their reasons for blocking downgrades, and most, if not all of them are valid.

It's pretty much a catch-22 for them. Cut off iOS upgrades earl, and have people complain, or cut them later and still have people complain. If its an issue, don't upgrade.

My first generation iPad with 3G works just about as well today as it did when new, except for less battery life (expected for an approx. 4-year-old device).  I use it EVERY DAY.  The newest iPads are about 8 times faster and have an option for more storage than my current iPad.  And the original iPad cannot run the latest iOS, so I am thinking I may upgrade it this year.

Worth?  It is my main internet and email device, is perfect when travelling and the 3G service has worked without a hitch.  Yes, I feel I have gotten my money's worth out of it.  I looked at the mini a few times, and I prefer the larger screen of the full sized device.

Bought the (non-retina) iPad mini for bag work with my 788 and it suits well.

Yep, pros and cons: I hate the Apple Ecosystem too but my iPhone and iPad mini work A1 with the apps I use (CL-Wifi, FreqFinder, TC apps, LectroRM, etc...). You just have to be carefull about updating OSes too soon.

I'm a happy camper with the size of unit and screen and it's become my main e-mail device.

But computer-wise, I'll still be using windows at home.

one of the issues indicated in forums about the issues i described is that a succeeding ios update will take up more space in the ssd; and then upon updating the device was subsequently slower, because the new os has a larger footprint. get lots more internal storage if you go that route according to what i've read. additionally, in my experience, battery life goes dowbhill a bit upon updating as well.

one of the issues indicated in forums about the issues i described is that a succeeding ios update will take up more space in the ssd; and then upon updating the device was subsequently slower, because the new os has a larger footprint. get lots more internal storage if you go that route according to what i've read. additionally, in my experience, battery life goes dowbhill a bit upon updating as well.

Cool Theory.  I haven't had the problem, and mine is updated to the most current iOS  it can run.  My 1st gen iPad is slower than newer models, but is as fast as it ever was.

It got a little choppy when I moved to iOS 5, but I've been able to deal with the iPad 1.

I would also recommend that people go for the iPad Mini w/ retina rather than the non-retina. Mainly because the retina version is using the newer processor whereas the older mini is about two generations back (iPhone 4s chip).