My Sound Devices 633 Review

ProSound

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time there is a new mixer/recorder there are these "I have been betrayed by my new machine--they should have known better etc" reports by v 1.0 users. All the of the machines we use have gone through this, in spite of pretty rigorous testing by the manufacturers. If you don't want to deal with the teething issues then let others do it and wait for v 2.0. As was said all new tech products seem to follow this route--mixer/recorders, phones, computers, cars (especially) and so on.

philp

I have been burnt too many times with being an earlier adopter of things, you end up paying a premium and being an un paid beta

tester.

Off topic, we just upgraded our EVS system at work and now none of our EVS news cutting edit suites work.. They have been down for 2 days.. The tech guys are pulling their hair out.

Bleeding edge = headache

• 3 months later...

ARH: " without mic preamp? "

since you are too late for April Fool's Day...

you really need to do some reading, and learning!

Jay Rose's books at www.dplay.com

and Rick Viers' Location Sound Bible at www.mwp.com

Thank you 

• 6 months later...

Buying a new 633 this week - then I'll debate whether to keep or sell my 788T...

Are you folks running the tall sony type batteries on the back of that machine, or the thinner version?

I'm going to put it in the new orca bag...

Any recomendations about best fit and/or whether the thinner (lighter) batts last long enough?

Thanks.

Been getting 5-6 hours out of the thinner B&H batteries. Watsons.  

Anyone else after 50 takes ( doesnt matter the scene name)  you can not re name the next scene?

Called SD today and they said it was normal after 50 takes.  They referenced it was the same as a tape filling up.  Just seeing if anyone else has run into this.

Edit: (solution was to go into the folder structure and delete the scene name if anyone else has been factory resetting like me)

i usually run 2200mAh, 4400mAh, 6600mAh and 7800mAh NP-H batteries, plus 8 Eneloops as backup.

two 2200 last about 4 hours, so i usually pack that if i want to keep things light and know i have time to change batteries in between.

the 4400 are a good compromise since they usually last through the whole day if i switch the recorder off in between.

the 7800 are overkill, but good as a backup if i know i can't recharge batteries overnight.

i used to buy only brand batteries at first, but had good experiences with cheaper ones recently (Troy, OTB) and my charger measured them as nominal capacity.  the 7800mAh ones are IDX.

chris

• 1 year later...

Just received my 633, first impressions are good. Don't see the small faders being a big issue for me, worth the trade off for size/weigh, like that they rise above faders 1-3. Recommend the KSTGS – Stingray Small Audio Mixer Recorder Bag. Neat, secure, practical design with plenty of room for np1, a few receivers and bits-n-bobs.  If you are looking for a wireless keyboard, the Measy Smart Remote works great, has the extra weight of 3 AA batteries but is much easier to type on than the Rii most people recommend.