Zaxcom AES outputs?!?!?!

Ben

I've sent AES to a Sony F800 over 50' breakaway cable, no problem. The best things about it are you only need one line and there are no levels to set! There is no crappy A-D conversion in the camera, no added limiting or distortion.

And it didn't cost me any extra - I built my own AES breakout cable to use with my QRX.

What's not to love about this setup?

Mark O.

Hey Mark,

Anyway you can post a picture of your breakout cable? Im new to the AES world and looking into cables at the moment thanks man! 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late response. I've been away from JW for a while.

Here's an album of photos of some Nomad cables I've built: https://www.flickr.com/photos/123908048@N03/albums/72157660769219655

I've since added a single cable to the AES cable to allow for AES 1-2 output from Nomad. I use that to send AES to camera.

Mark O.

Sorry for the late response. I've been away from JW for a while.

Here's an album of photos of some Nomad cables I've built: https://www.flickr.com/photos/123908048@N03/albums/72157660769219655

I've since added a single cable to the AES cable to allow for AES 1-2 output from Nomad. I use that to send AES to camera.

Mark O.

nice!! crazy timing I was just going to inquire with audio department how much aes cable would be. How much to you charge? Ha

Awesome clean work man cables look great!!!!

Edited by GAGaudio

You should reconsider sending four channels to a camera. If you can't monitor return four channels then it'll still be just two channels that you know and can stand by. 

There's been a lot of discussion about multitracking in the camera, and they all seem to end with there not being any real upside to doing it, other than making it easier for post but harder on yourself. Sure, you have all the tracks in your mixer and you're probably recording ISOs of each track, but still, if there's not a simple way of monitoring four return channels, I'd never send four channels to a camera. 

That said, the camera can still record four tracks of audio and benefit you; 

- Two channels from your mixer (Stereo mix or what have you) 

- Two channels from the camera mic, be it dual mono or stereo. The on camera mic can sometimes be a blessing in disguise. :)

Plus one to all of this good advice.

nice!! crazy timing I was just going to inquire with audio department how much aes cable would be. How much to you charge? Ha

Awesome clean work man cables look great!!!!

Thanks for the compliment.

I'd like to help, but I'm not in the business of making cables for others. There's just too much involved with it from consulting with clients to purchasing and maintaining supplies. Plus, I'm actively moving into a different field of work and don't want to invest my time in this area any more.

I know there are a bunch of other professionals on this forum who do make cables. Maybe one of them will chime in or contact you.

Mark O.