Jack Norflus

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Whining is when... "

but...

(take heart, Fieldmixer, and co. )

patient perseverance sometimes pay off...

When Lectrosonics introduced the SM transmitters, there was a very vocal proponent of a backlit LCD screen; well it was  years later that Lectrosonics announced that all new SM series TX's were being built with backlit LCD's, and had a factory authorized sale of all unsold non-LCD SM series TX's, and raised the prices of all the new backlit ones.

" if a client requests a system with a wider switching bandwidth, "

not my clients...

maybe technical clients, like a television network engineer renting equipment for a major event, but not the customers who hire me to provide a service, and my equipment to fulfill the requirements.

Oh, yeah, maybe some semi-clueless CL wannabe will specify "brand x", but they don't plan on paying for anything anyhow.

" i would risk loosing the gig if i said... "

give me a break!  you haven't lost any gigs like that, and I have never felt the need to make a statement like that to any potential client

" i have had an issue with how many hardware controllable inputs i could afford "

Geeze, Danial,  grow up.  of course we always have limitations on the capabilities we either can afford, or choose to pay for.  if you need more inputs (to suit your taste) then don't even consider hardware that does not meet your gigs' requirements.  That is pretty basic.  If I can't afford a truck that can tow my Airstream, I don't demand that my Honda Civic should be able to pull it.

" +1 for new menu architecture. "

if the menu architecture is unacceptable, perhaps one should acquire a different product; such a change is extremely unlikely.

watch out, or Jeff is going to change the name of this thread

Geeze, Danial,  grow up.  

::), i am trying but if anything its only side ways.

i want to take on what your saying but fear being even more verbose than i am usually in my efforts to re contextualise what feels like my statements taken out of context. i'll think on this a bit more (as your posts often prompt me to do - thankfully:-)

" Whining is when... "

but...

(take heart, Fieldmixer, and co. )

patient perseverance sometimes pay off...

When Lectrosonics introduced the SM transmitters, there was a very vocal proponent of a backlit LCD screen; well it was  years later that Lectrosonics announced that all new SM series TX's were being built with backlit LCD's, and had a factory authorized sale of all unsold non-LCD SM series TX's, and raised the prices of all the new backlit ones.

" if a client requests a system with a wider switching bandwidth, "

not my clients...

maybe technical clients, like a television network engineer renting equipment for a major event, but not the customers who hire me to provide a service, and my equipment to fulfill the requirements.

Oh, yeah, maybe some semi-clueless CL wannabe will specify "brand x", but they don't plan on paying for anything anyhow.

" i would risk loosing the gig if i said... "

give me a break!  you haven't lost any gigs like that, and I have never felt the need to make a statement like that to any potential client

>>>> I think you are taking me a bit literally here but fair enough.

" i have had an issue with how many hardware controllable inputs i could afford "

Geeze, Danial,  grow up.  of course we always have limitations on the capabilities we either can afford, or choose to pay for.  if you need more inputs (to suit your taste) then don't even consider hardware that does not meet your gigs' requirements. 

>>>>The adage that competition creates choice is nice, it also seems to create a lot of beta testers early adopters.

That is pretty basic.  If I can't afford a truck that can tow my Airstream, I don't demand that my Honda Civic should be able to pull it.

>>>>I go camping with my bike and hire motorised transport as needed - but i do like the idea of an airstream and would hire one when the opportunity arises (and something to pull it :-). The rest of the time i'm happy with my bike - so long i believe its the best 1 for me (other peoples hyperbole aside).

" +1 for new menu architecture. "

if the menu architecture is unacceptable, perhaps one should acquire a different product; such a change is extremely unlikely.

watch out, or Jeff is going to change the name of this thread

This thread is terrifying.

If you need four isos and a stereo (with the possibility of an extra one or two in the mix if you have an A-D), get a Maxx. If you need at most eight tracks and Zaxnet, get a Nomad. If you want at least eight tracks and don't need Zaxnet then get a 664/CL-6. If you need between two and four radios and two booms, get a 633.

With regards to the Maxx update, one thing I'd like to see would be a routing matrix. If they enable eight track recording then an eight to eight pre/post matrix, or otherwise an eight to four pre/post matrix. So if I had to add a mission critical extra track via the AES 1, I could sum the less important content on tracks 3 and 4 to track 3's iso and send AES 1 to 4's iso (as well as all to stereo). Currently, AFAIK, you can't sum to record tracks (other than via the stereo busses). Kind of like a four buss plus stereo. 

Being able to record the mono bus in addition to the others would be good, but it'd be much better if that were included in the routing matrix, rather than permanently routed to a particular record track.

As for only having four faders – as great as a four fader pack would be, it requires hardware that simply doesn't exist. Ditto with the keyboard. Deal with it. Get a bigger mixer. Get a Nomad or a Fusion or a 664 or a 788 or one of the many alternate devices designed with more faders.

Edit: Unless the GPI (which I assume is general purpose in) can be used for a keyboard input / 4x fader panel or whatever and retain a couple of AES inputs, that'd be cool, if the hardware can do it.

And FAO Glenn, I'm personally not a fan of how Maxxes are more Windowsy than SDs (which are comparatively Mac-ish). It's got an advanced menu of lots of computery settings we're not allowed to fiddle with and a load of code on boot up that makes the device seem somewhat less polished and less slick than the SD units. If you can fix that and give it a routing matrix (plus an extra few dB of gain if possible, I've heard 10dB is good, but not always great), then my 633/Maxx decision will be entirely down to track count and how they feel in my hands.

Hi Benjamin,

Our boot up messages are there to tell us that all is well. The messages are displayed as the Maxx and Nomad are initializing their hardware and running self tests. It is very easy to put up nothing while this happens. We choose to show these things for about 3 seconds so the user will know all is well. A blank screen tells you nothing and is not what I would consider "less polished". That fact that a PC also does this does not mean in any way that there is any PC code in our products. In fact with our MARF file system we are totally free from any "store bought" code in our products.

What a machine shows as its booting is for the most part not important. For us the most important thing is how does it sound. With Neverclip and 136 dB dynamic range and a floating point DSP we think nothing sounds as good. Being able to deliver limiter distortion free mixes and ISO tracks are the ultimate result that matters in post and to the person who listens to the audio at home or in a theatre.

Another major purchase factor is how safe is the recorded data. The Zaxcom system will always provide the best file system and the most secure delivery media as the audio can always be retrieved even if the directory is damaged or erased.

You should also look at the integration of the MAXX into the full production environment with its stereo link and time code transmission.

There are many more factors to consider. You will need to pick the machine that best suites you. If you would like to call me at Zaxcom tomorrow I would be happy to fill you in on all of the advantages of the MAXX.

Best Wishes

Glenn

Sorry to pour gas on this fire but I too would like a Maxx but without Zaxnet it just doesn't add up. Let me demonstrate with some prices from Trew Audio as of December 2013:

6 channel Nomad with built in Zaxnet and QRX100 receiver = $6195.

4 channel Maxx with QRX100 and QFIB option for Zaxnet = $5990

So as I want Zaxnet I would save $200 buying a Maxx but I would lose the following options:

- 2 additional channels, with option to upgrade to even more

- AES inputs

- A myriad of bus routing options

- The ability to control my transmitters from the mixer/recorder (yes it can be done with the QRX but not as easily)

- Voting on ERX's

- This list goes on...

The wireless camera link option on the Maxx is great for guys who work with shoulder mount tv cameras but for those of us that don't, it's not an attractive option at all.

I'm sure there's a very good reason behind omitting Zaxnet in a Maxx but my money will be spent elsewhere.

Well, if Zaxcom were interested in my opinion, which they aren't, I would say streamline the product line. Just have Maxx and Nomad, both with optional zaxnet, all models with input matrixes, mp3 recording etc. KISS. Give good deals to Nomad owners to bring them up to speed on the new line. Your customers will thank you for it, confusion will stop and no more futzing about with artificial distinctions between various incarnations of Nomad and Maxx which most people don't get the need for. But what do I know? I'm just a customer, frustrating though that might be.

Sorry to pour gas on this fire but I too would like a Maxx but without Zaxnet it just doesn't add up. Let me demonstrate with some prices from Trew Audio as of December 2013:

6 channel Nomad with built in Zaxnet and QRX100 receiver = $6195.

4 channel Maxx with QRX100 and QFIB option for Zaxnet = $5990

So as I want Zaxnet I would save $200 buying a Maxx but I would lose the following options:

- 2 additional channels, with option to upgrade to even more

- AES inputs

- A myriad of bus routing options

- The ability to control my transmitters from the mixer/recorder (yes it can be done with the QRX but not as easily)

- Voting on ERX's

- This list goes on...

The wireless camera link option on the Maxx is great for guys who work with shoulder mount tv cameras but for those of us that don't, it's not an attractive option at all.

I'm sure there's a very good reason behind omitting Zaxnet in a Maxx but my money will be spent elsewhere.

One note: Zaxnet is not available on the Nomad Lite. Upgrading to the Nomad 10 makes the price difference between the two scenarios more substantial.

Also, Maxx does have AES inputs.

One note: Zaxnet is not available on the Nomad Lite. Upgrading to the Nomad 10 makes the price difference between the two scenarios more substantial.

Also, Maxx does have AES inputs.

I think for people wanting something to complain about, facts hold little sway.

It's not the petitioning for features that I mind, it's the hostile and demanding form they take.  Good grief.  Quit bellyaching and just tell the manufacturers what you want, then buy whatever fits your needs best.

With that scenario, you have accomplished two things.

1)  Communicated needs and desires to the manufacturers

2)  Voted in the one way that counts

...oh, make that three things:

3)  Helped this forum be a more friendly and enjoyable place.

I think for people wanting something to complain about, facts hold little sway.

It's not the petitioning for features that I mind, it's the hostile and demanding form they take. Good grief. Quit bellyaching and just tell the manufacturers what you want, then buy whatever fits your needs best.

Dear whom it may concern, it is with great admiration and respect that I write this, to communicate, in a markedly un hostile and easy going, lackadaisical, relaxed, loose manner, that zaxnet integrated into the recorder named "Maxx" I feel you would find, would be wonderfully received by a large segment of the target market. Reasons are many and downsides are few. If possible, taking the pulse of, "on the fence" Maxx model buyers, would likely demonstrate a strong desire for this features implementation. Respectfully yours, a mixer in the field.

That better? You know, when a person is frustrated or irked, and communicates in a fashion that puts those feelings out there, the point maybe sharper, but likely more notice is taken. When frustration and passion rear it's head there is likely a good reason. If it's all daisies, earth tones and nursery rhymes, who would bother or care. Posts and replies that state things like "quit bellyaching" only serve to antagonize, belittle and attempt to surreptitiously negate the original idea.

Good grief yourself!

Dear whom it may concern, it is with great admiration and respect that I write this, to communicate, in a markedly un hostile and easy going, lackadaisical, relaxed, loose manner, that zaxnet integrated into the recorder named "Maxx" I feel you would find, would be wonderfully received by a large segment of the target market. Reasons are many and downsides are few. If possible, taking the pulse of, "on the fence" Maxx model buyers, would likely demonstrate a strong desire for this features implementation. Respectfully yours, a mixer in the field.

That better? You know, when a person is frustrated or irked, and communicates in a fashion that puts those feelings out there, the point maybe sharper, but likely more notice is taken. When frustration and passion rear it's head there is likely a good reason. If it's all daisies, earth tones and nursery rhymes, who would bother or care. Posts and replies that state things like "quit bellyaching" only serve to antagonize, belittle and attempt to surreptitiously negate the original idea.

Good grief yourself!

Not trying to negate any ideas, just the incessant repetition of the same one.

It's been said -- it's been noted.

" omitting Zaxnet in a Maxx but my money will be spent elsewhere. "

... and if you really want Zaxnet, (and MARF, and NeverClip) that will be on a Nomad!   Actually this all might be about the name "Maxx", as that sounds like it ought to outrank "Nomad", but it doesn't,  it is the more basic model, but with a lot of capabilities for its size, and price....

As to all that "startup stuff", which BTW doesn't remind me of Windows, but more of DOS and/or Unix...

It goes by fast, and watching it go by you see that all is proceding properly;  if it ever halts, the information will probsably be helpful in troubleshooting, too...

" I would say streamline the product line. "

that is like telling GM to make only Chevy Malibu's...  Or VW to go back to only making "bugs"...

when you own and run the company, you'll do as you please....  meantime (in another thread) folks are sticking Dave with the expense of 280 unsold pouches, sitting there in inventory, thus guaranteeing K-Tek loses money on every sale, and doesn't even get to make it up in volume!

And speaking of Zaxcom's products, and operating systems:

In designing their proprietary OS and file format (MARF) they have made a major and still unique contribution for us...

I remember the discussions on Courtney's old BBS about writing our sound as a lot of one's and zero's to disc drives, and the reliability of that technique, both hardware and software. While the ZaxOS+marf would not be right for general computing uses (and as we know it is not compatible but requires a translation program) it does have some advantages we like.  While others have made notable strides for file reliability by periodically updating the directory, and even some pretty fancy power management tricks (but in the end, running down all your battery power and having your rig die of starvation is either pretty rookie, or unusually catastrophic!) power loss has been virtually eliminated as a significant problem in professional situations.  The marf files are so self contained on the media it is much more like in the old tape days, where the audio is recorded until the recorder stops, and is replayable (aka recoverable) in all but the most catastrophic circumstances.  Sure if the unit is burned to a crisp in a fiery crash, the media may be physically destroyed, but in more realistic circumstances, it is protected from the sort of directory screw-ups like that one person reported when power was lost while the media activity light was still flashing (as the directory was being updated, perhaps?) and recovery is made at least far more difficult, if not impossible.  This proven file system is a part of every Zaxcom recorder

And speaking of MAXX / Nomads:  these products both feature NeverClip audio, a combination of excellent pre-amps and dual A-D converters linked together (propriatary processing!) to provide the maximum realization of the dynamic range of the preamps in the A-D conversion.  I'm can of put off by a bunch of folks who are not happy with the way Zaxcom has set up their product lines, or/and product differentiations.  you want more features, you pay more $$, and Zaxcom makes some upgrades pretty slick, 

My last Passat had what I feel is a better heating/cooling system available than my newer Jetta The Passat had a system where I set a temperature, and the computer regulated heating/cooling as needed.  The Jetta requires more fiddling and selecting manually between heating and cooling, but the Passat system is not available on Jetta's.. period. Yes, as much as I begged my dealer, and the importer! even a note or two to the HQ.  OTOH, I prefer a "station Wagon", and when I had a Golf (wagoneete/hatchback) and wanted to upgrade to the Jetta sport wagon, ythey were not available, so I had to get a Passat Wagon (but I got the better climate control and a few other slick features)... When it came time to get a new one, VW was not currently importing (to USA) Passat Wagons, so I had to decide between the climate control in a sedan, or the Jetta Sport Wagon with the space, but less features..

folks, deal with it!

We are 'dealing with it'. We are discussing it, comparing notes and making wishlists. Pretty standard forum talk, nobody is 'demanding' anything, or whining, just discussing pros and cons, and future likes. What's the fuss? Some people seem to interpret everything as some sort of terrible criticism. Nothing to deal with, apart from long, tedious and irrelevant analogies to cars, lol.