Zaxcom Maxx 2.0?

Jack Norflus

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can also say there will be a significant amount of functionality added in this update. And this will certainly not be the last major update to Maxx.

In addition to what is being released - there will be a several more features added to both Maxx and Nomad following this update. Both of these products will be evolving for quite some time.

Also for all Nomad owners who are feeling left out -several of these new Maxx items will be released for Nomad at the same time.

I can also say there will be a significant amount of functionality added in this update. And this will certainly not be the last major update to Maxx.

In addition to what is being released - there will be a several more features added to both Maxx and Nomad following this update. Both of these products will be evolving for quite some time.

Also for all Nomad owners who are feeling left out -several of these new Maxx items will be released for Nomad at the same time.

Great sounds good, is this still all due in 2-3 weeks from the 23rd November?

ZaxNet in the MAXX is very unlikely to happen. Many months before MAXX was released people here were strongly requesting it, but Glenn held firm that it would not be available.

ZaxNet is a lot more than just a software upgrade. The full setup involves an antenna and associated amplifier circuitry. Unless Zaxcom comes up with a little plugin ZaxNet device (add tc and audio signal, apply power, and voila!), you'll have to settle for an IFB100/200 or TRX900CL.

Mark O.

To develop their most recent mixer without the Zaxnet ability built in like Nomad was just silly to me.  Yes, it probably would have jeopardized the reason for buying a Nomad for many of us (or not), but the entire Zaxnet functionality is far more useful and used more often than a 2ch UHF hop/link is.  It's probably way to late for such change to me made to the Maxx, but for those of you still hoping.... I'll wish you luck, you'll probably see something along the lines of being able to record line level input from the RTN and added 4 more tracks, routable input matrix, output delay (maybe not).  I think mp3 is an impossibility for Maxx?

The bag jobs i do are *mostly* camera hop, but I've been pushing to change those when I can. Cart jobs are at least 99% scratch track. From a Zaxcom flexing their tech standpoint, putting in Zaxnet to the Nomad was smart. It made a lot of people dive in and use it since it was "included". I've ended up buying 3 ERX2TCDs. I probably would have gone that route anyway, but it was an easy decision. I already owned a Zaxcom hop, but not an IFB100. I know a few Nomad owners that own ERXs, but don't actually own hops. They rent them *if* they really need them. They don't seem to have immediate plans to buy hops either.

+1. The integrated hop is interesting, but no ZAXNET option on Maxx alienates all nomad users that were wanting of a smaller package, and all erx owners wanting to make the most of them. Saying tough luck buy a cam link or whatever is insulting. We have our cam hops already thank you very much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alienating? Insulting? That's absurd.

For some reason you want to run 1 or 2 external hop transmitters, but find the idea of running a zaxnet transmitter appalling?

The bag jobs i do are *mostly* camera hop, but I've been pushing to change those when I can. Cart jobs are at least 99% scratch track. From a Zaxcom flexing their tech standpoint, putting in Zaxnet to the Nomad was smart. It made a lot of people dive in and use it since it was "included". I've ended up buying 3 ERX2TCDs. I probably would have gone that route anyway, but it was an easy decision. I already owned a Zaxcom hop, but not an IFB100. I know a few Nomad owners that own ERXs, but don't actually own hops. They rent them *if* they really need them. They don't seem to have immediate plans to buy hops either.

I concur. I bought straight into Zaxnet and the ERX system when I got my Nomad and use it practically every day. Had Nomad instead contained a camera hop TX I would have found it exciting, but very costly to buy the RX and in all honesty most of my jobs are either cabled up to camera or 'recorder only' and the ERXs go out as timecode sync devices.

From a business standpoint it was probably quite shrewd of Zaxcom to keep the two systems separate as completists must purchase a full camlink/RX for the Nomad and an IFB unit for the Maxx (unless they already run QRX with the IFB option). Not a cheap option for the customer! Would Zaxcom sell more Maxx if was IFB capable? I dunno.

Good to hear some Nomad additions are in the post Jack.

The Zaxcom thinking is that the QRX100Q on the camera has a QIFB board, so it can output TC to that camera, and feed ERXs on other cameras and/or IFB on people.

The other option is what Rado does and use a QRX in the bag with the QIFB board and that's your Zaxnet transmitter. I effectively just did that on a film. My QRX100Q with QIFB was mounted on my cart (with my Fusion) outputting Zaxnet audio and TC to the Red Epics.

The Zaxcom thinking is that the QRX100Q on the camera has a QIFB board, so it can output TC to that camera, and feed ERXs on other cameras and/or IFB on people.

The other option is what Rado does and use a QRX in the bag with the QIFB board and that's your Zaxnet transmitter. I effectively just did that on a film. My QRX100Q with QIFB was mounted on my cart (with my Fusion) outputting Zaxnet audio and TC to the Red Epics.

There are quite a few ways one can add Zaxnet to not only Maxx - but to any recorder that doesn't have Zaxnet.

So complicated. Another complaint I regularly hear about zaxcom *edit*(from most non zaxcom users/mixers I run into on set) is the complication of it all. Zaxnet is now on practically every device except the Maxx. How big can the hardware be if it's in a qrx...they were onto something making the master zaxnet control at the recorder... It's a pointed question. But. Why was zaxnet not included in maxx. *edit*

Indeed complicated, and more so when you start adding in trx you'd want to remote control. If one has to piece together modular devices to make a non-integrated zaxnet Zaxcom mixer/recorder work, then it better be one awesome machine, since anything could be used in its place (as jack elegantly mentioned).

Good grief, what's with the obsession?! If a Max isn't for you get over it and buy something else!

...And all the childish Zaxcom bashing?! There should be a maturity requirement for being a member here.

Perhaps it's time to be a little more considerate of the forum, as well as other members, and let it go!

There are professionals who can help with OCD.

Good grief, what's with the obsession?! If a Max isn't for you get over it and buy something else!

...And all the childish Zaxcom bashing?! There should be a maturity requirement for being a member here.

Perhaps it's time to be a little more considerate of the forum, as well as other members, and let it go!

There are professionals who can help with OCD.

+1

My understand is adding Zaxnet to Maxx isn't as simple as craming it into the box. There are way more factors at play - many of which I don't understand - including signal routing, rf filtering and circuitry. I believe that the option was to add either Zaxnet or a UHF transmitter and Zaxcom chose to go with the later.

Nomad has Zaxnet and they wanted to give the consumer a different machine.

If adding Zaxnet to Maxx was as simple as putting another cog in the machine i think it would have been in there.

Zaxcom made a decision based on many factors and Zaxnet was omitted - like it or not that is the way it is.

There are quite a few ways to add Zaxnet capabilities to Maxx so its not like you are being left out in the cold.

How much time will it take to put ZAXNET into Maxx. Maybe too long to save the thousands going elsewhere.

If the lack of Zaxnet in Maxx is a deal breaker for someone buying it - then that person is being quite short sited.

They would be overlooking a machine that has better specs than any other machine out there. And they would be overlooking some really great features such as neverclip. All to go to a machine that doesn't have Zaxnet either.