Small footprint, super light plug-on transmitter?

cory

So people are now pining for the magic transmitter: zero weight (helium filled), tiny size, the batteries last three days, it can be bought for pocket change, and it transmits for miles without any dropouts.

I want universal peace and free lobster.

FWIW it WOULD be awesome to have a lav and transmitter in one if it was possible. And world peace/free lobster to boot!

I don't think that thinking/discussing/dreaming about innovation/improvements ever hurt anyone. I am merely curious to know if other sound folks are interested in the same things I have been thinking about. I have been in situations where I have been able to make do with what I have, but where a lower profile plug-on with phantom would have been incredibly useful.

And to be fair, if not too many years ago I told you that there would be a 4+ channel mixer/recorder/transmitter with the rough footprint of an FP33 you would have laughed in my face.

+1 for boom tip mounting. I have all my baskets wired with a Connbox or similarly short cable. I've also added a short cable to the INV-7 for indoor shoots. XLR holder is between INV and a thread adapter, so it stays with the INV all the time.

I slide a padded Iphone bag over the TX for additional protection.

And to be fair, if not too many years ago I told you that there would be a 4+ channel mixer/recorder/transmitter with the rough footprint of an FP33 you would have laughed in my face.

No, I wouldn't have.

However, if you had told me it would defy the laws of physics I would have probably snickered a bit.

So people are now pining for the magic transmitter:  zero weight (helium filled), tiny size, the batteries last three days, it can be bought for pocket change, and it transmits for miles without any dropouts. 

I want 30 day battery life, and it has to sell for less than a Zoom H4! And a coupon for a free Subway Tuna!

Of course, but not more so than the Ambient QWB you posted above

A closer look will show that on one side you mount the TX, and on the opposite side you mount the battery box. Both weighing about the same, so the center of gravity stays in the middle.

To me, however, the best solution is PTX on boom tip with a short cable from the mic. Each basket and suspension have their own cable.

A closer look will show that on one side you mount the TX, and on the opposite side you mount the battery box. Both weighing about the same, so the center of gravity stays in the middle.

To me, however, the best solution is PTX on boom tip with a short cable from the mic. Each basket and suspension have their own cable.

I think I don't get it. A plug-on, centered on the boom will also allow the center of gravity to be in the middle, won't it?

Regardless, I've never met a boom-op who complained about an offset balance of the boom when using a plug-on

I think I don't get it. A plug-on, centered on the boom will also allow the center of gravity to be in the middle, won't it?

Regardless, I've never met a boom-op who complained about an offset balance of the boom when using a plug-on

How would you "center" a plug-on on a boom? It will always be outside the boom's axis. Nevermind.

I've never heard complaints about balance either, but reading this made me think further.

that it doesn't mess up balance/momentum when swinging it around....

These thoughts come in part from some doc work where I've needed to be at a full run and also attempt to boom a subject/subjects who are also at a full run. The idea is to have things as ergonomic and stable as possible. Loose cables or even mounts that aren't completely fastened become liabilities.

So something that plugged directly into the mic (or now that I think about it something that plugged directly into the conn box but was even more secure and light around the pole) would be really awesome.

I'm going to do some playing around-- and thanks for the above posts-- super useful and interesting!

• 4 months later...