Embarassing to watch.

jason porter

Avi,

Thank you for adding some insight and common sense to this thread.  Such discussions too easily become a feeding frenzy of armchair quarterbacking (let's mix metaphors like mad -- yaha-ha-ha-ha!) and second guessing by too many who have never been faced with the financial and logistical challenges of documentary filmmaking.  It takes a special dedication.

Wouldn't the dialog/music level decision be the producers/directors choice?

A bad choice in this case. I'm not pointing fingers at who's responsible, merely pointing out that it was inconsistent and weird. 

How much do you want to bet it was mixed in the avid suite by the picture editor.

That's my guess on a lot of network-style documentaries these days. Ditto with the color correction. What's baffling to me is that maybe 1/3 of it looks and sounds great, 1/3 looks barely OK, and 1/3 of it is awful. I get that it's shot and recorded at different times, but you gotta wonder why a producer couldn't keep it consistent just by having good judgment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Being a post guy, it's a nightmare trying to mix audio recorded by camera guys. Even if it is just one mic.

They use shit gear for a start, if it's a boom they seem to mount it miles from the mouth. A cheap lav with huge pop filter in plan site is used.(looks and sounds awefull) They seem to use nasty wireless gear that has heaps of hiss.

For some reason, I get more upset when I see an absence of sound credits on broadcast stuff, where camera is recording sound, I think Bizarre Foods was one ? Cant recall.

Many season's of that show (with differing production values I believe), but I do distinctly remember seeing a production sound mixer on that show - the van had broken down and they showed a 2-3 person crew with no transport.

" You see the lavs. "

so..??

I have no problem with exposed personal mics in the right context. I mildly dislike the practice of hiding a lav on a non actor subject because "that's what you do".  Many of the innovative mounts and clips available allow us to take an appropriate amount of pride in a neat and tidy, exposed lav mic.