Fuze Ti: Fuze Slate

George Tsai

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey George, you might do well to post this to the Facebook group: Freelance Sound Mixers & Recordists for TV/Film 

It's a private group so you would have to be let in (that was done so a user's posts didn't pollute timelines of people not in the group). 

A lot of the people here are probably well invested in Denecke and/or Ambient slates. That group seems to have a number of users that try to use their iPads as slates. I can only imagine that goes wrong within a few days and they ponder a real slate. There are also a lot of younger mixers that might be very interested in something new. Just a guess, but it can't hurt to get the word out. 

Best of luck! 

One observation from the pics on your site.... locknuts on the clapper. Those will come loose and fall off. I've noticed that every AC has a preference for tight or loose sticks and adjusts mine. 

your 1/8" TC cable looks like it will be wired the same as the Zaxcom QRX100, which is nice. Having a few 1/8" TRC - BNC cables for input and output that we can label the same way is helpful. 

" This test was shot on the Red Epic "

it would be better on a Dragon...

that is it would look better...  the TC would still be off...

Spot on hehe. This test was actually best case scenario for the Epic. It tends to lose a frame every time you reboot the camera (camera was on entire test), and it's a shot in the dark every time you press the record button if it's going to be a frame behind or not. 

If successfuI, are you committed to always manufacture in the USA?

Yes:-)

" are you committed to always manufacture in the USA? "

and are you kind to stray dogs.?

um..... may i plead the 5th?

hehe I love dogs:-)

I must be missing something.

I absolutely trust my Denecke products and would never stray from something that works so reliably.

Ambient products are also widely used and respected.

These manufacturers have refined how we use time code on set and have improved their products to keep up with technological changes.

Example, it looks like you have a thumbwheel adjustment for brightness, unfortunately it is exposed where it will be the first bit to hit the concrete.

The brightness knob is still work in progress. The wheel you see in the CAD drawing stick out only 0.10". We'll see how it works out when the protos are made:-)

Denecke and Ambient makes great products. I'm just making available a new option that is just as accurate and more affordable. Earning the level of trust that Denecke and Ambient has will certainly take time and probably the biggest challenge. 

But George wrote "Kickstarter price for one unit will be $550USD." So that typically means buying first generation sight unseen. That could be OK, and if we see positive beta-tester reports from trusted forum colleagues before the kickstarter campaign closes, that could be more than OK.

As interesting as George's slate is, I probably won't be one of the first to buy one (TC slates aren't an every-week item in my little world). And I'd probably be interested in buying through one of our trusted dealers. So I guess we don't yet know how much his slates will cost after the kickstarter campaign closes.

Still following George's progress with interest, though.

The prototype is making its way around including to some that are here on this forum. Currently the proto is with Dan at ToneMesa.com. The price might increase after the kickstarter to cover distribution and retail costs, but it will NOT go over $600USD.

One observation from the pics on your site.... locknuts on the clapper. Those will come loose and fall off. I've noticed that every AC has a preference for tight or loose sticks and adjusts mine. 

your 1/8" TC cable looks like it will be wired the same as the Zaxcom QRX100, which is nice. Having a few 1/8" TRC - BNC cables for input and output that we can label the same way is helpful. 

Just checked and the QRX100 has the same pin configurations, so the same cables will work. It only makes sense to have the output on the tip and input on the ring:-)

Looking into the locknuts:-)

Oh, don't remember where it was mentioned, but there was some questions about international buyers. The Kickstarter WILL be available for those outside of the USA. Still working out how much shipping would be, but it looks like it might add about $150USD. Shipping seems a little high to me so I'm still digging around, anyone got suggestions? hehe shippinh weight is about 3lbs (1.4kg) and packaging will probably be about 11"x11"x4".

" anyone got suggestions? "

flat rate USPS priority and express mail boxes...(if it fits!)

also FedEx is now doing flat rate packages, but I have not yet had to ask about international, where therir regular rates are higher than USPS express...

Looks like the flat rates are about $150-$200 as well.

+1 in my book

I should've actually said, most definitely will keep manufacturing in the States:-P

Also wanted to throw this CAD drawing up here. Even tho the BNC did not make the cut for normal production run, I will likely add an option to modify the regular models as a special build for an additional cost. I am still working out how much that'll come out to.

Also there are two added slots in the enclosure, that's for a battery cover retainer to be added:-) 

post-7330-0-31614300-1386681653_thumb.jp

NIce--but your handy-hole on the upper back looks to be sized for the hand of a child, not that of a manly AC who might be wearing gloves....

philp

Yea the size of the holes probably will not easily accommodate thick gloves. Slot is currently about 0.5" thick.

I can't imagine an AC paying any attention whatsoever to whether they accidentally bump or move the brightness knob.  If it's possible to disturb the setting by grabbing that side, it WILL happen.

It's definitely possible, but will be pretty difficult. You can accidentally hit the brightness button on a Denecke but it's also highly unlikely. 0.10" is not a lot, but I won't know for sure till protos with the knob installed are in hand. 

Re shipping internationally (and locally): talk to the likes of FedEx or UPS. They can make you a good offer. The prices quoted on their websites are much higher than what you would have to pay. Also, with one of those guys, the more you ship the cheaper it gets

Once I get packaging together I'll be bringing them in to get a quote:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Attached a snapshot of the proto with the thumbwheel, comes out about 0.09"

The 1/8" jack has also been traded out for 1/4", this is for the many people in LA who are used to usings and have cables for the Denecke slates. It is a stereo jack, and with the 1/4" plug you can easily use the half click trick if you only have a mono cable for your timecode input/output:-)

Originally I was hoping to have had the kickstarter kicked off before the end of the year. It's still possible but most likely will happen early Janurary. I'm having the most difficulty in making a video for the kickstarter hehe, I'm not very good at marketing or being in front of the camera:-P

post-7330-0-80553200-1387799602_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this will be the last update before the kickstarter begins:-) 

I had hoped to have submitted the campaign for approval by kickstarter by now, but the only thing left for me to do is the video for the kickstarter. If all goes well it should submitted sometime next week, but keep in mind when the video is finally posted that there's a reason why I work behind the camera or mixing console and not in front of it hehe. 

The final prototype has made its way through Tone Mesa and Trew Audio. It is now making it's way to others on this forum. From the feedbacks the slate's height may be cut by about an inch, but a large part of the decision will depend on the metal fabricator having to retool, so we shall see:-P Improvements are also in the works for the finger slots on the back of the clapper sticks. 

Remember you can sign up for email notification over a prefundia: http://prefundia.com/projects/view/fuze-ti-fuze-slate/456/

Thanks everyone for your replies and your support:-) Have fun!

post-7330-0-91457900-1391162928_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate George's enthusiasm for the project. One thing, though: the reason I've stuck with Denecke for years and years is because their service and reliability are so good. The fact that a Denecke TS-3 will still work when you drop it from three feet onto concrete means a lot to me. 

My own experience is that while small slates have their place (particularly on fast-paced doco shoots), the reality is that scene names are actually getting longer and we need more space on the slate, not smaller slates that have less room. I'm also a big fan of the illuminated back-lit slate, because it helps the AC avoid having to hold a flashlight on the slate at night. And speaking for the post department, I still object to colored sticks, because the colors have no use in dailies or color-correction; the B&W sticks are useful to just tell us if the overall color is neutral or not. There have been many times when I've had to use the blacks and whites off a Denecke slate to give me a vague reference for grayscale, because that's all we got from the camera department. 

I get that this is a dependable $500 solution for somebody who's stepping up from an iPad, but I'm not sure if this will put a dent in sales to working professionals on features, commercials, and TV series. I'm also curious to see what Ambient and Denecke will have at NAB in six weeks, and things have a habit of changing quickly at these shows.

Thanks Marc:-) All valid points:-)

Denecke's reputation for service and dependability is surely well earned, and something I know I have to work hard to earn through the coming years. Hopefully I will be able to at least start hehe:-P 

Once I get one of the protos back next week, I plan on doing some drop tests, on to concrete floor:-) So keep an eye out for a drop test in the coming weeks.

Most of the feedback I've gotten from people with hands on the prototype is that it needs to be shorter. So for this production run it has been shortened. Once the small one is shipping it will be easy to start making a bigger front panel, perhaps as an add-on. As for the illuminated back, it's unfortunately one of those luxuries omitted to keep cost down:-) 

There is a B&W option for the sticks:-) Selections will be made for each backer in the post kickstarter survey.

• 3 weeks later...

The drop test is up!

The electronics has survived the drops on all sides from a height of 4 feet! Some of the powder coat chipped from the drop, mostly on the corners and edges onto which it was dropped. Fractures formed mostly between the printing layers, which is a known weakness in the 3D printing process. The production run injection molded enclosure does not have this weakness in it's structure, so it is unlikely it will break as easily as the prototype. 

That said, there will be a few reinforcing additions to the enclosure as a result of the drop test:-)
No, I didn't shave, and yes, audio was recorded on camera. All spoken off the cuff so I apologies if I'm hard to understand in the video:-)

• 8 months later...

So I  saw a note about this on Facebook today:

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/fuze-ti-timecode-slate/2509/

FUZE Ti's New Smartslate:

Redesign and improved, the new smartslate system is modular and designed to lower the required startup and tooling cost of production. Each display module will be available for $450USD and each complete slate will be available for $600USD. We are offering a new option for a timecode slate at half the price of those currently on the market that is just as accurate and robust. Check out our website at http://www.FUZETi.com

And on the Fuze website blog:

http://fuzeti.com/blog/almostready/ Almost Ready.... December 1, 2014 2:57:34 AM PST

A002_C003_01012T_S000w2.jpg

Our new website is live to give you a glimpse at what we have planned for the near future, so at the moment you will not be able to place any orders. The site is still going through development so if you find any website issues or bugs please email us at admin@FUZETi.com.

After nearly a year after our first Kickstarter campaign, we are almost ready to make a second attempt. The project has already been pre-approved by Kickstarter, so as soon as we finish the video for the Kickstarter the campaign will go live. Our previous campaign had an incredibly high goal of $120,000. Our new design has lowered the cost of tooling and manufacturing by a huge amount, all the way down to a funding goal of only $34,000. 

Price for each complete slate will be $600. It will consist of the FDC Timecode Generator Display and the Compact Slate with the option to have the Black & White, Color, or natural wood clappers. 

The Timecode generator display will be weatherproof, IP 55, comes as standard;-) Attempting to completely seal up a rough printed prototype is a little more difficult but not impossible. Full seal upgrade should be available for the next crowd-funding campaign. Have not been able to test up to the full IP66 standard, but at the moment shallow waters is no problem:-)

A010_C004_0101YF.0001419.jpg

So keep an eye out for the beginning of our Kickstarter campaign here on our site, sign up for the newsletter, or drop your email at our Prefundia (http://prefundia.com/projects/view/fuze-ti-timecode-slate/2509/) page. There will only be 15 early bird priced awards available:-)

Posted in  News By  George Tsai