In Freezing Weather

Crosby

Hi, I booked a shoot up in Fairbanks, Alaska in January and I was wondering if anyone out there had experience recording audio in sub-zero temperatures.  I've never had to deal with below 25 F in my time recording audio, so I'm wondering if I should expect any problems with my ME-66.  Let me know if I should expect my microphone diaphragms to freeze off or something crazy.  

Hi Crosby,

There's an active thread in General discussion on this topic and about one a year for the number of years that this forum has been active. Lot's of great information in those threads. There are definitely lots of issues brought up by the cold.

Your ME-66 diaphragm should be fine, although if you're powering the mic with the battery, you might want to gets a few lithiums.

Coming from balmy LA, you are more likely to freeze than your gear.  :)

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

" wondering if anyone out there had experience recording audio in sub-zero temperatures. "

yes,

and if you had done some scouting here on the jwsoundgroup.net, you would have found it.

" Let me know if I should expect my microphone diaphragms to freeze off or something crazy.   "

ah., this tells me a lot.

it takes years of experience to get years of experience...