You thought weed eaters were a nuisance?

afewmoreyears

I love Amazon, but I don't need this, nor do I want it. Plus, I don't see how one of those could have delivered the new vacuum cleaner I just purchased on Amazon. What if you live in an apartment building? How do you get that little orange box back to amazon? Ship it? 

I guess I really don't like the idea of these things zipping around the skies. Kinda one of those "if it falls into the wrong hands" sort of things. Plus...if I have to have something right now I'll just go to the store and buy it if I can't wait the two days for Amazon Prime. 

Most Multirotors have GPS and line of sight is not required. Flight pattern can be set using Google maps and way points or you can fly it manually using a spread spectrum transmitter. That said the only way to see an obstruction is through a FPV system that does have range limitations. A commercial license does not exist since currently Multirotors can not be used for commercial purposes and regulations won't be in place until 2015.

Only works Line-of-sight...and the operator now has to have a commercial pilots license...so the chances of this being a serious problem is zilch...

BVS

Exactly, because only commercial airlines and those with a pilot license have an easement over "everyone's airspace". Technically, if you're a home/land owner you have rights to the area below your property to the center of the earth and right above it to space. So anyone flying over you, without proper licensing, is considered trespassing. At least that's my understanding of things. 

I agree that this is most likely a marketing scheme because it would be easy to blame the government for not allowing Amazon's scheme to become a reality.

...Technically, if you're a home/land owner you have rights to the area below your property to the center of the earth and right above it to space. So anyone flying over you, without proper licensing, is considered trespassing. At least that's my understanding of things...

Nope... Not to say we don't have property rights as property owners, but they certainly don't reach to that extent, and certainly not within the limits of most contracts... mineral rights are typically something that would be negotiated and settled upon in addition to a standard P&S...

...as to our rights to airspace above our property, a semester-long study of case law would likely only scratch the surface of that big pile of ambiguity.

Anyhow, at least I didn't say "Amazon" in this post... oh, dang... I just said it... : /

~tt

Nope... Not to say we don't have property rights as property owners, but they certainly don't reach to that extent, and certainly not within the limits of most contracts... mineral rights are typically something that would be negotiated and settled upon in addition to a standard P&S...

...as to our rights to airspace above our property, a semester-long study of case law would likely only scratch the surface of that big pile of ambiguity.

Anyhow, at least I didn't say "Amazon" in this post... oh, dang... I just said it... : /

~tt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_rights

Yeah, you're right. My textbook must have been the cliff notes version since it didn't specify how airplanes changed our rights. However, I would think these drones would have to fly within property owners air space since having them in the same airspace as planes would be insane. Hmm, which makes me wonder if this actually does go through then this could potentially strip of us of what little air space we own above our properties and thus open the gates for the drones..drones..drones..keeping an eye on us. Then again, if you have a Facebook you're already broadcasting yourself. But that's another conversation. 

haha..yup, you did exactly what Amazon wanted you to do. Doh, there went another hit for them.