IDX NP Batteries

IDX TEK

Hey Everyone,

Just want to hear your opinion on a few things:

1. What is the best position for the LED power status indicator on a NP battery?

2. If a DC power connector was available, what type and where would you like it (D-Tap or Hirose, left/right side, top, etc.)?

Thanks!

-Zack

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would personally love if a battery had the meter on the small face at the end, with a dc connector on the opposite side (so that it could sit vertically in a bag with the meter exposed. Connector doesn't matter particularly, though I suppose locking would be best.

While we have you on the line, one thing I like about my switronix np bats is the p-tap connector and the associated p-tap-based travel charger (which is significantly cheaper then the traditional "2-slot" charger).

Looking forward to seeing where this is going!

E.

For robustness, I strongly recommend D-Tap, and I would adapt from that. 

4p Hirose is way too open for an issue, and I wouldn't want to downplay the distinct possibility of bent pin/s

occurring in the heat of battle. 

D-Tap is secure, useful among many areas of your (IDX's) market, and there is no potential for a polar accident!

MF

I would add that while I would also prefer a Hirose connector there are a few issues with implementing one on an np1 spec battery.

- A protruding connector would alter the form factor. It would no longer fit in some enclosed np1 holders or devices that directly accept NP batteries like the Deva and Fusion recorders or any future product that would use that design. A Hirose connector built in to an np1 would have to be cleverly recessed to maintain the same form factor.

- The Hirose 4-pin connector we use has a current limit spec of 2 amps only.

The D-tap has the advantage of being flush with the surface the battery. Not sure of the current limits.

My biggest request for any future NP battery from IDX would be an increase in Watt-hour capacity, first and foremost.

While the Hirose sounds appealing - I think the D-tap might be a better option due to the robustness of the connector - especially if a battery is bouncing around in a bag.

As I posted in the other thread my vote is meter on the top as well as power tap on the top. 

And if possible more watt hours!!

On a side note I had some NP-1's several years back that had 5 LED's - which gave a much better indication of remaining power.

Why did the batteries go to three LED's?

While the Hirose sounds appealing - I think the D-tap might be a better option due to the robustness of the connector - especially if a battery is bouncing around in a bag.

As I posted in the other thread my vote is meter on the top as well as power tap on the top. 

On a side note I had some NP-1's several years back that had 5 LED's - which gave a much better indication of remaining power.

+1 -- Everything he said, except I'm not totally convinced I'd prefer the D-Tap on the top -- I need to consider that aspect more.

But, yes, more resolution to the meter, viewable on the top end, and more watt hours.

I, for one, have no interest in a meter on a battery because I am really only interested in the Voltage of it under load and all of the gear that I uses these for already have a meter that I trust on them. The 3 stage LED meter has always worked well in my experience.  I am a fan of my power supplies staying simple but it does sound like there is a market for some of these other options here Zack.  On a side note, Your products are fantastic, I was noticing the other day that of the 9 IDX NP-1's that I currently have in rotation, 4 of them had their first charge put on them in 2004 and still work quite well! 

Actually, that makes sense, and I agree.

LEDs on top would kinda suck for me since my NP1s are usually slipped into the little holder slot beneath the mixer (Petrol bags). I don't have to check often, but now I can just unzip the back of the bag and read the power status LEDs off the side/face of the battery.

Anyway, let us know what you think...

BTW- are sound folks the main buyers of your NP1s these days?

LEDs on top would kinda suck for me since my NP1s are usually slipped into the little holder slot beneath the mixer (Petrol bags). I don't have to check often, but now I can just unzip the back of the bag and read the power status LEDs off the side/face of the battery.

Anyway, let us know what you think...

BTW- are sound folks the main buyers of your NP1s these days?

You guys are the reason why we still make NPs! Other applications for the NPs exist but powering audio/sound gear is by far the most popular.

Zack

There was a thread a while back about 1/2 size np1batteries - is that still on the drawing board? Or do you guys not comment on products that reality?

Hi Jack

We are still looking into it.  I want to get as much feedback from you guys before we make major moves. If you have any requests let me know!

Thanks,

Zack

Love my 10 x NPL7S batts.

2 of them go back to 2005 and still work almost as good as my newer ones.

I only use the 3 LED as a quick way of seeing if the batt is charged or not along with the dummy switch I set when dead or charged but sometimes forget in the heat of the battle so the LED is great for a quick visual check.

Please never stop making the NP style batt for us soundies. I much prefer the form factor than any other batt.

Not fussed on more LED or D Tap power output but I guess the power output could prove useful in some set ups. Like powering a Lectro receiver planted somewhere or a transmitter planted etc.

thanks IDX