IDX NP Batteries

IDX TEK

The limiting factor is not how many different things are connected to the battery simultaneously, but the total current draw. The NP-L7s protection kicks in at about 4 amps draw.

4 amps is a lot for most bag setups - I can't imagine adding an extra receiver at the last minute via the d-tap would bring most people even close to 4 amps.

If you were using the battery for a different application - other than in a bag - I could potentially see an issue.

But I am also guessing idx is marketing this to the bag market.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can pack in a little less than 100Wh

wow! I sometimes use a single 6Ah/90Wh to power my Nomad bag and get about half a day. I would much rather use an IDX super NP-1. The bag was Nomad12, 2 x 411s, 2 SRbs and a TRX900/STA150. 

I would also love the half sized ones (with some sort of tap) for the QRX (and if I buy a Maxx). I've been using those batteries made for security cameras that somebody suggested a while back. They are fairly ok, but you definitely get what you pay for. 

I have no problem with where the LEDS are at the moment, but I can see the advantage to having them on the top/small side.

D-taps would be preferable due to robustness, form factor, compatibility with other users and ease of use.

Would most definitely buy a couple 100Wh Np1's and several half size ones. The half size ones would be a blessing for running my receivers. If it had a D-tap, a D-tap fan out cable could power all my receivers eliminating the need for a second cup. Spare space in the bag gets pretty tight at times.

Cheers Nate.

johnpaul what are you using that is 90wh?
Oops, sorry. I'm using a B4B v-mount. I originally bought them because the physical dimensions were listed wrong and I thought I could get a 10Ah battery in that size&weight. It was conceivable because I got a raw (shrink wrapped) 10Ah battery from an OEM dealer that easily fit in my PEGZ3. It powered my Fusion and a bunch of wireless. Worked well, but the charger was a pain. I liked the drop and go chargers of IDX, or most other pro camera & sound gear. I also have NP1 cups and sometimes will use an NP-L7S for the Nomad and one for the wireless. I never had weird power/noise issues running everything off a single battery, so I split them purely for run times.

" an increase in Watt-hour capacity, "

being limited in form factor, significant increases in capacity may be a challenge...

~90WH is, apparently, about the max, and of course the price will reflect...

" If it's half size, then it would be half of what a full size one is. "

well, approximately, but there is some circuitry in there, too...

I, too, like the 5 LED on the (butt) edge that I consider the rear end of an inserted battery...

and the recessed nature and ruggedness of D-tap makes that my choice...

Regarding the possibility of a newly designed charger, if that is indeed being considered, my wish list would be a simultaneous charge four bay, small footprint, hopefully not terribly too much larger than the two bay available now. A charger like this with four new batteries would be a killer package! Also, personally, a super addition would be, a rubber type bumper that surrounds the corners of the charger. I've have had bumps and knocks to my units I'm convinced contributed to failures and rattling of bits inside. I'm constantly on the road, and a form factor design that is road friendly is like gold. Lastly, is the interest and or technology available to manufacture a single Np1 charger possible. Something real small similar in size to a power cup say? The reason I ask is, that would make a wonderful emergency back up unit that you could take everywhere. Is this were a IDX kick starter I would contribute.

I've been lurking around this thread since it was started... wasn't planning on posting, but thought the fine folks at IDX would appreciate any and all feedback from their customers, so FWIW...

I use several DC systems, both on my cart and in various bag rigs. I couldn't be happier with the NP-L7S design. I use the RA NP1 Cup and BDS systems on my bags... the Cup fits perfectly in the Petrol side-pocket attachment, which makes for effortless deployment and monitoring of batteries...

I have several NP's that I purchased mid-'06 that are still working flawlessly (they don't last quite as long as the newer units, but...) I normally track consumption through my rx's and recorders, so wouldn't have much use/need for additional metering... or half-sized batts.

In short, keep it simple (less to go wrong)... focus on improved capacity... just keep doing what you're doing... if it ain't broken... ;)

~tt

I'll echo many of the thoughts shared already:

• Higher capacity full-size NP, awesome
  • 1/2 size NP, awesome
  • D-tap power take-off, bonus
  • 4 bay simultaneous charger, awesome
  • I use the LEDs to see if the battery is used or full, so three is good enough for me, but 5 would be a bonus.
  • Same quality we've come to appreciate and rely on.

I have the KL-4 4-bay simultaneous charger and while it's nice to be able to charge four batteries at once, it literally takes 16 hours to do so. Apparently the more batteries I put on it, the slower the charging. It's much faster to use two JL-2Plus chargers. If you can make a four-bay charger charge all four batteries just as fast as the JL-2Plus charges one, I'll be sold.

I think this is a pretty common way of mounting the NP for us sound mixers:

45hl.jpg

Thanks for listening,

Mark O.

a rubber type bumper that surrounds the corners. I've have had bumps and knocks to my units...

+1. It could double to protect the contacts from shorting.

I might use a D-tap connector for quickly powering additional devices without having to dive into the depths of my bag. So it would best be placed right round the corner from the butt end, as I have the battery "contacts down - butt end up".

If you hit 100Whr it starts having flight carry on implications (batteries need to be declared and only a limited number can be carried).

I use the hawk-woods half size 35W batteries already, so some competition there would be good, especially if you could squeeze in a bit more capacity

Fieldmixer, speaking of 'travel chargers', I put this together a while back, audioroot sell the charger on eBay and I just soldered on a female inline hirose connector. It's been working fine for over 6 months now:

http://rtsound.net/?p=315

If you hit 100Whr it starts having flight carry on implications (batteries need to be declared and only a limited number can be carried).

You are correct on the transport limitations on batteries over 100Wh. To maintain the NP1 form factor, we would have to keep the pack just under 100Wh; so no transport issues there :)

You are correct on the transport limitations on batteries over 100Wh. To maintain the NP1 form factor, we would have to keep the pack just under 100Wh; so no transport issues there :)

Would it be possible to then physically print on the actual battery that the battery "has less than XX grams of lithium and has passed the UN manual of test and criteria . . . and is exempted from dangerous goods . . ."

Or something similar so there is no to carry copies of paperwork to show TSA.

Would it be possible to then physically print on the actual battery that the battery "has less than XX grams of lithium and has passed the UN manual of test and criteria . . . and is exempted from dangerous goods . . ." Or something similar so there is no to carry copies of paperwork to show TSA.
Great idea Jack. Printed right on unit brilliant.