IDX NP Batteries

IDX TEK

Would it be possible to then physically print on the actual battery that the battery "has less than XX grams of lithium and has passed the UN manual of test and criteria . . . and is exempted from dangerous goods . . ."

Or something similar so there is no to carry copies of paperwork to show TSA.

+11

AND... possible the number of the gov't edict or code printed on the battery as well, so the TSA can reference it

if they need to in their little books!

MF

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be possible to then physically print on the actual battery that the battery "has less than XX grams of lithium and has passed the UN manual of test and criteria . . . and is exempted from dangerous goods . . ."

Or something similar so there is no to carry copies of paperwork to show TSA.

We label CE on our batteries. I will look into UN labeling and let you guys know.

The problem with printing the info on the battery is that it could change.

I know at one time IDX had a conformity letter on their web site that you could print out and carry with the batteries. That may still be the case, but I haven't checked for a while.

We still have the Certificate of UN on our website. It can be found under About IDX-> Lithium Ion Transportation-> scroll down to NP-L7S and click the PDF icon.  Here is a link for your reference: http://idxtek.com/sites/default/files/pdf/lithiumion/MSDSUN-NP-L7S-201301.pdf

We still have the Certificate of UN on our website. It can be found under About IDX-> Lithium Ion Transportation-> scroll down to NP-L7S and click the PDF icon.  Here is a link for your reference: http://idxtek.com/sites/default/files/pdf/lithiumion/MSDSUN-NP-L7S-201301.pdf

Thanks for the link.  However, that's a very different document from the one I remember.  What I'm referring to was a single page letter that stated in really direct terms that the battery was qualified for air transit. 

While comprehensive, I think this document has the potential to scare a TSA agent more than assure them.  I will say, however, that over the last couple of years or so, the TSA agents I've encountered have been much more professional than ones in the early days. 

I have three of these kits and I've been using for almost two years without issue.

They have a D-Tap powering option and they can sit up right in the bag so you can read the LED meter.

http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2G3L2/Globalmediapro-SCQ2-DC-U-2-channel-Charger-2-x-DCU95-Battery-95WH-with-D-Tap-DCUF3-Adapter/

I also think that a single idx np1 compact charger would be great addition to my kit

+1 for single bay travel charger. The 2 bay takes up a lot of precious room during travel. Also would be great as emergency backup. 

3 most important features for me are...

1. 1/2 size option

2. Higher capacity 90 full size, 45 half

3. Single bay travel charger

Having a four bay would be nice, but I'd prefer a single bay if I had to choose.

Looking forward to what you come up with!

In reference to John's post about the IDX documentation: I recently had my first questioning of  lithium L7S batteries by airline security in Toronto. I keep the IDX documents in my roll-on case and brought them out when it wasn't looking good about getting my (one sealed in it's original cardboard box and one attached to my mixer) NP1s onto the plane. Although puzzled by the paperwork (there were three agents at one time reading the papers) the supervisor eventually just shrugged and had them swab the battery. Bon Voyage. I have to say they were all in a particularly ornery mood that day at every airport I passed through, and not just with me. I got frisked twice but maintained my businesslike demeanour. Maybe someone at their head office was having a shitty day. Who knows.

Half size would be on my to-buy list along with a single bay travel charger.

I had a colleague recently, also at the toronto airport, get turned away. They made him check his np1's. It boils my blood. It specifically states in their own regulation book that they are SUPPOSED to be carried on and NOT checked.

I also carry the single data sheet in my carryon roller bag. I haven't had to pull it out yet.

I say it's television audio gear, swab anything you want, I travel all the time with it and always carry it on.

If you hit 100Whr it starts having flight carry on implications (batteries need to be declared and only a limited number can be carried).

I use the hawk-woods half size 35W batteries already, so some competition there would be good, especially if you could squeeze in a bit more capacity

Fieldmixer, speaking of 'travel chargers', I put this together a while back, audioroot sell the charger on eBay and I just soldered on a female inline hirose connector. It's been working fine for over 6 months now:

http://rtsound.net/?p=315

This is interesting. While I admire it, I would love to see a slick one piece unit in my gear bag future.

Hopefully with same power cable port as the two bay. Less is so much more.

After having to power two QRX receivers off external batteries today to send audio to a pair of Sony EX-1 cameras. I got to thinking how much I would really love to have a few half size NP1 with a D-tap - this would have made my day so sane.

One half size NP1 would run the QRX all day and would have been way more stream line and way more elegant looking.

After having to power two QRX receivers off external batteries today to send audio to a pair of Sony EX-1 cameras. I got to thinking how much I would really love to have a few half size NP1 with a D-tap - this would have made my day so sane.

One half size NP1 would run the QRX all day and would have been way more stream line and way more elegant looking.

This is what I use to power my Zaxcom RX900S when camera power is unavailable.   The disadvantage would be that you would have to get a dedicated charger for this battery.  I use these batteries for my RC multirotor TX so I already have the charger.  I can get a minimum of 8 hours of continuous run time with these batteries.

http://www.helidirect.com/plu35-22503-pulse-2250mah-111v-35c-ultra-power-series-p-26548.hdx

Andy

This is what I use to power my Zaxcom RX900S when camera power is unavailable.   The disadvantage would be that you would have to get a dedicated charger for this battery.  I use these batteries for my RC multirotor TX so I already have the charger.  I can get a minimum of 8 hours of continuous run time with these batteries.

http://www.helidirect.com/plu35-22503-pulse-2250mah-111v-35c-ultra-power-series-p-26548.hdx

Andy

Doesn't the RX900 have sound problems if it gets below 12 volts externally?  I tried using a 12 volt battery pack with a 900 and once it went below 12 volts the headroom was lowered significantly.

Not sure what the exact model was:  The unit manual describes it as an ENG Diversity receiver and was under the discontinued model listing for digital wireless.  The external voltage range is stated as 9-15 volts but also says that once it goes below 10 the audio performance will be degraded.  Once it went below 10 it easily distorted on peaks.  My battery pack obviously wasn't right for the receiver and I ended up putting lithium internal AA batteries in to get me through the day.  Alkalines only last 30 minutes to an hour internally so they recommend the lithiums or NiMh rechargeables.

My rx900 freezes when voltage is too low. The unfortunate thing about it is that the green led light stays lit on the receiver.

Got caught a couple times. No audio to cam even when green light is on. Happened with low internals and a weak bettery at the camera. Power tap'ed off an ex3 battery.

Is your Firmware up to date? I sent my RX900S back in for a firmware update at some point. Might be worth calling Zaxcom and see if there are changes.

IDX and NP-1 (and other) types of batteries and how they are used is the main topic of this conversation, but hey, it is a conversation. If someone wants to talk about what piece of gear they are powering, or possibly bring up an issue related to powering ANY gear, I don't see that as a problem within such a conversation. What this thread, or any other for that matter, should NOT become, is a substitute for regular support from the dealer or manufacturer on issues of firmware, hardware, etc.